Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boy, 9, says stray bullet missed him because

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 22 April 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

Why did god intervene with this boy, but let so many others all over the world die? Is this god unable to save all the children? is this god unwilling to save the children? What are the decisions that went into place in order to justify the saving of one boy and not all the others?

You should ask God these questions. There is, afterall, a reason as to why He is God. Only He truly knows the answers to your questions.

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 22 April 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#32    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Gotta love selective reasoning.  People see/witness what they want to see/witness.  Personal bias does not make something true.  Like how a co-worker of mine refuses to accept the sky is blue due to light refraction in the water molecules in the air and reflection from the ocean.  They're stance was "god did it" and literally covered their ears to refuse hearing the facts of why the sky is blue.  Selective reasoning.  The weakness of all religious believers.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#33    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostMeiliken, on 22 April 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Selective reasoning.  The weakness of all religious believers.

And it could just as well be said that those who don't believe in any higher power have a lack of faith as their weakness.

Also, simply because there is scientific reasoning behind things doesn't mean God couldn't still be the reason everything exists in the ways that they do.

#34    Meiliken

Meiliken

• 1,764 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostAngel Left Wing, on 22 April 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

And it could just as well be said that those who don't believe in any higher power have a lack of faith as their weakness.

Also, simply because there is scientific reasoning behind things doesn't mean God couldn't still be the reason everything exists in the ways that they do.

Not having faith in something that has no rational basis is by definition not a weakness.  So no, the same can't be said.  With that rationale, that means a known liar that people have false faith in are stronger for their faith?  I think not.

Incidentally, I do believe in god, I don't believe in fantasy religion.  But when one disregards scientific reasoning based on facts for something magical, it is by definition irrational.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

David Hume

Aldous Huxley

#35    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Out in space the sky is black.So god speckled the sky with shiny diamonds.Of course God works in mysterious ways.Its ok to save one child and starve millions.I am not a fan of any gods

#36    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostMeiliken, on 22 April 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

Not having faith in something that has no rational basis is by definition not a weakness.  So no, the same can't be said.  With that rationale, that means a known liar that people have false faith in are stronger for their faith?  I think not.

Incidentally, I do believe in god, I don't believe in fantasy religion.  But when one disregards scientific reasoning based on facts for something magical, it is by definition irrational.

If you believe in God then what are you claiming people have a belief in with no rational basis?

And again, simply because science can explain to us why things are the way they are, it doesn't mean that God can't be the creator of everything that science is able to show us exists beyond what the naked eye is capable of seeing.

By the way, I am not a religous fanatic, but I also believe in God. I suppose where we may differ is that I am also a Christian.

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 22 April 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#37    Meiliken

Meiliken

• 1,764 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostAngel Left Wing, on 22 April 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

If you believe in God then what are you claiming people have a belief in with no rational basis?

And again, simply because science can explain to us why things are the way they are, it doesn't mean that God can't be the creator of everything that science is able to show us exists beyond what the naked eye is capable of seeing.

By the way, I am not a religous fanatic, but I also believe in God. I suppose where we may differ is that I am also a Christian.

What I think of as god and what you think of as god are not remotely similar.  Just because someone believes in god doesn't automatically mean the xian god.  

I never said the god I believe in didn't create all of existence, but science is the way it was done.  If you want to get closer to god, get closer to science.

No worry, I know you're not a fanatic.  I shred holy rollers that come to my door(sometimes even breaking some of their faith) ;).  I wish you wouldn't label yourself as "christian" though.  That foundation is rockier than pagan faiths.   :innocent:

Hippocrates

David Hume

Aldous Huxley

#38    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostKarlis, on 21 April 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Hi Alienated Being -- this is what is reported:

Preston Stevens says he felt some sort of force push him before the bullet went through his Rajon Rondo jersey ...

What are your grounds for over-riding that report, by writing: "What saved him was adrenaline, and the primal instinct of self-preservation."? How was the boy to know about the trajectory of the bullet? Or, even to "know/perceive" that there was going to be a bullet coming his way?

I'm curious as to your logic, apart from dismissing "intervention",
Karlis
t
The adrenaline, and instinct are what caused him to react in the manner that he did. The fact that he did not get hit by the bullet is pure luck. His mother yelled at him prior to the bullet traveling through the window because she heard several pops.

Edited by Alienated Being, 22 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#39    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,277 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostAngel Left Wing, on 22 April 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

You should ask God these questions. There is, afterall, a reason as to why He is God. Only He truly knows the answers to your questions.

I find it kind of funny how some Christians say "only god knows the answers", yet in church there are plenty of people willing to state exactly what god wants, needs, knows, etc. etc........

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#40    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,137 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well if god pushed him out of the way of the bullet, why didn't god make the bullet miss the house altogether?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#41    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,093 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Well if god pushed him out of the way of the bullet, why didn't god make the bullet miss the house altogether?

Or make the finger pulling the trigger not pull it?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#42    Magicjax

Magicjax

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone else feel like your in the middle of an Abbott and Castello routine when reading this discussion?

Edited by Magicjax, 22 April 2012 - 05:56 PM.

Man in suit!

Posted Image

#43    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ahahaha so religion saved this boy?

#44    randym23

randym23

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

• the question IS the answer

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

answer: god is supposedly all powerful therefore god at least "allowed" the bullet to be fired.
then supposedly pushed this boy aside so the bullet would not hit. Wouldn't it just be less trouble to have the gun never go off to begin with? (remember god is supposedly all powerful so it can do this)

what would be the point to the entire exercise?

maybe he just imagined it.
oh well, he can believe what he wants, but don't expect me to believe it.

and visit my site:
Posted Image

#45    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Ok, the God arguement will just go around in circles forever. No one can say anything definitively. So how about we stick with things we know to try explain this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users