Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tax bills for rich families at 30-year high

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The poor rich.

With Washington gridlocked again over whether to raise their taxes, it turns out wealthy families already are paying some of their biggest federal tax bills in decades even as the rest of the population continues to pay at historically low rates.

http://www.boston.co...8WcI/story.html

#2    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,042 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

ohh boo hoo. I do not feel the least bit sorry. They're not paying anything like during the good old days in the 1950's when the marginal tax rate was 90%

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#3    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I had flapjacks for breakfast. The 1950's are irrelevent today anyways.

Edited by AsteroidX, 03 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#4    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

They are earning more than ever, so therefore they pay more.
Whereas most of the people in this country are still working near minimum wage in the service sectors,
There are even lesser jobs than ever with the industrial revolution and automation of industries which means there are more people in the service sector now than ever, which also means that more production by the industries i.e. the rich and less of wages to pay due to automation therefore leading to higher profits than before.
And people are paid very less and the minimum wage has not increased in comparison with the inflation of currency, which means people have to work more to fulfill the same needs that they had before.

These things are not that simple, analysis all over the internet clearly says that till now the corporate are not paying their fair shares, not to mention those purposely made tax escape loopholes for the rich which allows them to pay nearly no tax.
Oh and the lobbying.

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,346 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Good, finally.

Although they still do not pay enough, and have too many loopholes and write offs still.

We made a whopping $46,000 last year. Paid out $5,000 in taxes deducted from paychecks.

Did my taxes, and still owe.

Maybe there should be a straight 11% tax across the board.

The rich get richer, the poor stay poor, and the middle class are going poor.

Off topic, but I see gas is also going up as it all ways does for the Spring and Summer wealthy vacationers to go out in their boats and motorhomes and quad's etc....

Yet, people like me ( most ) are struggling right now to afford gas just to go to work and back.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#6    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

I was just reading an article today that said that the average American's net worth hit a 43yr low.  It also said that 24.8% of all American's had a negative net worth.  Meaning that 1 out of 4 people in the US didn't really own their belongings, rather their bank or lender actually owned it.  I wonder if there is a correlation between this and the numbers the OP posted.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

I think the rich should pay their fare share and its not 12% after all the loopholes and deductions.  Then they complain about welfare, SS, medicare and food stamps taking too much of the tax dollar.  Real rich of them.

#8    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

View Postninjadude, on 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

ohh boo hoo. I do not feel the least bit sorry. They're not paying anything like during the good old days in the 1950's when the marginal tax rate was 90%

Ah, like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Why should the government ever get 90 cents of a dollar I earned?

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#9    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Would you rather have 12% of 10 million  or 28% of 80,000?
Think about the true amount the rich actually pay before you spout off that they aren't paying their fair share.
Its ridiculous that we have so many people demonizing a sector of the population that actually took time to become highly educated and sacrificed time and effort to get to the top.
Sorry if your only aspirations was to drop out of high school, work at Wal-Mart and knock up your girlfriend.
Maybe if everyone had some ambition and drive we wouldn't be taxed so heavily to provide for them.
Food Stamps and welfare are at all time record highs.
There's a figure to be proud of!
But the problem is those dang rich people.....right?

#10    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostTwinkle Arora is back, on 03 March 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

They are earning more than ever, so therefore they pay more.
Whereas most of the people in this country are still working near minimum wage in the service sectors,
There are even lesser jobs than ever with the industrial revolution and automation of industries which means there are more people in the service sector now than ever, which also means that more production by the industries i.e. the rich and less of wages to pay due to automation therefore leading to higher profits than before.
And people are paid very less and the minimum wage has not increased in comparison with the inflation of currency, which means people have to work more to fulfill the same needs that they had before.

These things are not that simple, analysis all over the internet clearly says that till now the corporate are not paying their fair shares, not to mention those purposely made tax escape loopholes for the rich which allows them to pay nearly no tax.
Oh and the lobbying.

First of all, Food service workers don't work in a skilled profession and therefore don't get anything but minimum wage.
Minimum skills = Minimum wage.
Secondly, Every time you raise the minimum wage you cause inflation, when the wages of the unskilled are forcibly raised, the products are raised to compensate.
The best solution for increasing wages is higher education and trade school.
Its sad when you look around and see that a foreigner shows up one day, becomes a citizen and fulfills the American dream within 20 years while natural born Americans balk at all the opportunities that this nation provides.
Laziness and a false sense of entitlement are the diseases that are killing this nation.
Obama and his crew just perpetuate the problem by spoon feeding the masses with welfare and handouts.
Look at Obama and his staff, how many people do you see who only made it through High School?  None!
They know where the real problem lies and they have no interest in telling you.
Education is the key to everything.  No one in the Homeless shelter is sitting on a Masters degree.
Its not a rich/poor problem.  Poor people become rich people all the time and vice versa.
Its a educated/non-educated problem.

#11    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Taxes needs to be more fair and balanced for everyone...rich, poor and middle classed...I don't have a magic wand but some things in the code need to go and some things need to stay.

People need the freedom to do their best, let people be creative and get the GOV out of their way.

The Gov needs to be more responsible with the money they are already collecting before they cry for more.  We used to operate just fine on far-far less money,,,inflation is a part of it, but only a part of it.  There is a gigantic black hole of traceable spending and most everyone knows this.  We used to pave our roads, maintain our bridges, support education and extracurricular activities in schools, tend to the elderly and the sick for much less money.  Now we are spending a trillion dollars a year more than we take in and it is still not enough?  I'm sorry, but there is something very wrong here and no one seems to be asking the right questions.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 04 March 2013 - 03:18 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#12    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostBama13, on 04 March 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Ah, like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Why should the government ever get 90 cents of a dollar I earned?

I don't know if you realise this, but the United States was at the peak of its power during the fifties. The goose kept laying despite high taxes on the rich(implemented by the Republican Eisenhower).

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#13    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 04 March 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I don't know if you realise this, but the United States was at the peak of its power during the fifties. The goose kept laying despite high taxes on the rich(implemented by the Republican Eisenhower).

Do you think it was the high tax rate, or the fact that the US was one of the few industrialized nations that wasn't devastated by WWII? IIRC the lowest tax rate was around 20% also. Yet no one is advocating raising taxes on the poor to 20%.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#14    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,063 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostSakari, on 03 March 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

[...]
Yet, people like me ( most ) are struggling right now to afford gas just to go to work and back.
Imagine that you would have to pay over $6.5 per gallon...

If we would have prices on gas as low as in USA... Would be awesome...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#15    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,909 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postninjadude, on 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

that is idiotic.we don't live in 50s anymore.they pay more taxes a week that you will in your entire life,

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users