Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant squid filmed on oil rig underwater

the14u2cee

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb1_1215567459

The creature has been spotted in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and in the Gulf of Mexico. One sighting was made at a depth of 4,734 metres (15,534 feet) - almost five kilometres (three miles) below the surface - in the western Atlantic, off the coast of Brazil.

The squid's arms are longer than those of any known squid species and held in an unusual position: spread outward from the body and then bent anteriorly.

A specimen must be caught for classification purposes

The scientists speculate that the squid may be an adult member of the recently identified family called Magnapinnidae (which means "big fin"). Only juvenile squids in this family have been seen before. More research will be required, however, before the animals can be properly classified

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OzarkHowler

• Mattshark

• the14u2cee

• TehGrant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is one creepy looking squid. You can see where all these sea monster tales come from.

;) I don't agree with the them needing to catch it, but it does look like its enjoying life.

I don't agree with the them needing to catch it

I very much agree. Squid is just fine left in it's natural elements.

I very much agree. Squid is just fine left in it's natural elements.

Agreed fully Owls :tu:

i can't see the video, can someone maybe post some screen captures? i'd be much obliged.

i can't see the video, can someone maybe post some screen captures? i'd be much obliged.

here. i cropped it, enlarged it & added contrast so it is easier to see :tu:

linked-image

Edited by SoulFire

That is really creepy looking, but so amazing. I agree it should be left alone, no need to catch it and eventually lead to another extinct species due to human hunting. Very awesome, I love liveleak.

Ooh, it's one of those spidery deep-sea squids. They give me the shivers.

those tentacles are creepy....they're very very...very long, in a creepy way :unsure:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb1_1215567459

The creature has been spotted in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and in the Gulf of Mexico. One sighting was made at a depth of 4,734 metres (15,534 feet) - almost five kilometres (three miles) below the surface - in the western Atlantic, off the coast of Brazil.

The squid's arms are longer than those of any known squid species and held in an unusual position: spread outward from the body and then bent anteriorly.

A specimen must be caught for classification purposes

The scientists speculate that the squid may be an adult member of the recently identified family called Magnapinnidae (which means "big fin"). Only juvenile squids in this family have been seen before. More research will be required, however, before the animals can be properly classified

whoa a monster......inetresting thanx

Well this wasn't "just found" this video was captured in 2007 and this was NOT the first time a giant squid was captured on film. The first time it was captured in it's natural habitat with images was in 2004 with a Japanese team. The first time it was captured on live film was 2006 by the same team. I can't wait until the Colossal Squid is filmed in it's natural habitat.

Edited by Jaida

Ha ha! it kinda looks like a facehugger from the alien movies.

Whoa, that was awesome.

CLOVARFIELD 2 CONFIRUMMED!

:lol:

Creepy, but very interesting to see. I agree that it should definitely be left alone...

I saw this over the weekend on another website at a relatives house. I LOVED it! Those arms are amazing, Im curious as to how big the biggest squids get.

Its called a long-arm squid and in a family of big finned squid. If you ask me they look really strange.

Is it real? looks kinda like CGI to me.