Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spider-Goats & Jellyfish-Pigs

carrot sprite

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emberlake

• CommieX

• carrot sprite

• ShadowSot

:o

It just boggles my mind the way scientists justify crossing species and it's scary as heck when I ponder where all this going. :unsure2:

Spider pig... spider pig.. does whatever a spider pig does.

Oh wait, this is a spider goat. Oops.

It's interesting. They introducing the genome into the oats in order to mass harvest spider silk, and then they made glow in the dark pigs to... make... it easy to find breakfast in the morning.

I know they did that with cats to.

:o

It just boggles my mind the way scientists justify crossing species and it's scary as heck when I ponder where all this going. :unsure2:

I agree, That is total nonesense IMO. What would happen if those genes from the goat was accidently spread to goat farms? And the glowing pigs are a total stupidity, What purpose does that serve?

bragging rights. that's what purpose the glo-pigs serve. can you make glo-pigs? no? well, i guess you suck.

~nevermind~

Edited by D is here

I agree, That is total nonesense IMO. What would happen if those genes from the goat was accidently spread to goat farms? And the glowing pigs are a total stupidity, What purpose does that serve?

Thanks TFF. :)

Spider silk producing goats:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/889951.stm

Through and through glowing green pigs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4605202.stm

The 1st article is dated 2000, and the 2nd article is dated 2006. I agree with Karl 12 though, they do still make an interesting read :)

~I edited out my comment~

I overreacted, sorry about that CommieX :blush:

Yeah, my personal view on this is that it has way more potential to cause damage than it has to cause something good.

It really worries me that we are doing these experiments on our FOOD SOURCES. Some of our most important food sources too. Food sources that have worked for thousands of years.

All they tell you about is one thing the gene manipulation has done. Think about it though, if you put spider genes in a goat and its offspring produce spider silk through their milk, that is not going to be the only effect.. What about the effect on the psyche? Putting genes of a purely carnivorous species in an herbivore.

There are a lot of other specimens of different animals they are doing this with and then breeding them with normal animals to find other results. They are always doing it WITH OUR FOOD SOURCES though!

Using our food sources for weapons of war...

Also, what about the disease issue? Virii and bacteria that were only targeted to one species are now going to find it A LOT easier to evolve and cross jump species. They are mixing human genes with some of these animals too.

And people wonder where the avian flu, SARS, and the others originated from....

Yeah, my personal view on this is that it has way more potential to cause damage than it has to cause something good.

It really worries me that we are doing these experiments on our FOOD SOURCES. Some of our most important food sources too. Food sources that have worked for thousands of years.

All they tell you about is one thing the gene manipulation has done. Think about it though, if you put spider genes in a goat and its offspring produce spider silk through their milk, that is not going to be the only effect.. What about the effect on the psyche? Putting genes of a purely carnivorous species in an herbivore.

There are a lot of other specimens of different animals they are doing this with and then breeding them with normal animals to find other results. They are always doing it WITH OUR FOOD SOURCES though!

Using our food sources for weapons of war...

Also, what about the disease issue? Virii and bacteria that were only targeted to one species are now going to find it A LOT easier to evolve and cross jump species. They are mixing human genes with some of these animals too.

And people wonder where the avian flu, SARS, and the others originated from....

There not just throwing spider genes and goat genes together. The thing wouldn't even be born let alone be a half spider goat creature. The genes put in the goat chromosomes will have NO effect on the goats psyche whats so ever. Don't worry, there’s not going to be any killer goats running around:P. There not doing it with our food source. There doing it with the same species. These species are completely cut off from the blood lines of animal stock used for food. They do drug and genetic tests in these kind of animals all the time. And also the immune systems ARE NOT CHANGED in these animals. The risk of cross species infection is minimal. Even if the risk where great the worst that can happen in a couple goats get a spider disease. And yeah they are mixing human genes in so they can create cures for diseases and grow you a new heart if your dieing and need one. Avian flu and SARS have been around forever. What maybe a bird man somewhere around is going to bring avian flu to humans?

Interesting and pretty cool actually. But playing around with this sort of stuff is going to lead to some consquences.

But scientists should make a squid-spider...that would be cool :)

well i didn't say much...

except we're not.

these animals were not born to be eaten and their quality of life has not exactly been effected.

wish i glowed in the dark ffs.

this shouldn't be allowed

it's ****ed up using animals like this...well i guess they're used to it

but it's fine for animals to be born, live for a few months, die and be eaten?

i'd much rather produce spider silk tbh.