Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Euthanasia

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostKazoo, on 03 December 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I agree for the right cases.

I just do not trust government and doctors enough to discern a reasonable case from a stupid one.

That is an important point.
There have been many suicide cases which could have easily been avoided through proper meds.

Saying that, I understand the hesitancy with regards to psychotrophic meds. The fear of being a "drugged-out zombie"
I fought for several years, refusing those meds, then had to go through mental hell until I finally got on the right stuff(for me)

It's different for different people of course, and I'm not a zombie.
Good doctor I guess.

EDIT: I would like to add that not all requested euthanasia is appropriate for the reasons I described above.
However, for clinicaly terminal individuals, having a clear and indisputable terminal condition, AND with severe pain, I do support the idea.

Edited by pallidin, 03 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#17    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Whenever I hear about euthanasia It always brings to mind Jack Kevorkian and all the crap he had to go through just to give people there rightful end,

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#18    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,392 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

People should have the right to end their own lives whenever they choose. Plain and simple. No laws should be in place saying otherwise.

#19    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostRyu, on 03 December 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

People should have the right to end their own lives whenever they choose. Plain and simple. No laws should be in place saying otherwise.

What about someone going through a depressive episode?

As for those who conduct euthanasia, ending someone's pain and suffering wouldn't be so bad. Rather humbling I think. You'd be helping them out, this is something people conducting euthanasia just need to understand.

I mean, I can't possibly understand what it would be to take someone's life regardless but you're setting them free.

#20    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,392 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 04 December 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

What about someone going through a depressive episode?

There are always exceptions obviously however in the end if a person really wants to die, they will find a way to do so. We cannot nor should not be so arrogant as to claim to "know" what another person is feeling or going through. Speculate and imagine, yes. Knowing for a fact, no.

#21    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 December 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

There are always exceptions obviously however in the end if a person really wants to die, they will find a way to do so. We cannot nor should not be so arrogant as to claim to "know" what another person is feeling or going through. Speculate and imagine, yes. Knowing for a fact, no.

I know when people go through depressive suicidal episodes or the like they are going through a spur of the moment sort of thing. They don't actually want to die in the long run.

#22    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

I know when people go through depressive suicidal episodes or the like they are going through a spur of the moment sort of thing. They don't actually want to die in the long run.

Yeah, I agree.
That's why I'm only for it in cases of clinically verified terminal illness(such as cancer) associated with a lot of pain.

EDIT: Now, if the pain could be knocked-out, that could be a different story. However, I know for a fact that even large doses of morphine often doesn't alleviate the progressively severe pain.

Edited by pallidin, 05 December 2012 - 02:54 AM.

#23    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

About suicide though how far do you "help" them live? Tie them to the bed? Rip out part of their brains? Cut off their arms and legs? There is only so much "help" you can give somebody before you need to let it go.

You can't stop suicide but you can stop depression. Which is what suicide in the end is all about. Some people learn it before it happens to them(People who never suicide), some people just learn it after they fail(People who try and do not die), some people never learn it(The ones who die which are the only ones you can't "help").

I don't hate death what I do hate is suffering. Which is why I believe suicide must be a choice made on your own and assisted suicide has to be agreed to by both parties.

I also think the only reason is why suicide is written as illegal is because of how people suffer when somebody does it. (To prevent suffering funny isn't it). Problem is whose suffering do we refer to for the law? on which grounds (mental/physical/etc) do we follow it??

#24    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 05 December 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

I don't hate death what I do hate is suffering. Which is why I believe suicide must be a choice made on your own and assisted suicide has to be agreed to by both parties.

:tu:

#25    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Children could receive euthanasia soon

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=239640

#26    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

We have euthanasia here and I havent heard any complaints over alot of years.

#27    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 20 December 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

We have euthanasia here and I havent heard any complaints over alot of years.

But in the thread about the consideration of giving children euthanasia you replied with disbelief, why?

#28    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I agree. Even in cases where theres noone around. Once someones brain dead.

#29    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 03 December 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Hello UM, I would like to hear your opinions for and against legal euthanasia in extreme cases, e.g terminal illness or where the human may no longer use their body or something that makes them want to die.

Personally, I'm all for assisted suicide for the ones who need it. I would rather take a pill to die if I had terminal cancer than die slowly in agony for weeks.

Can the pain be managed?
Are they mentally ill requiring psychological treatment?
Are they a burdon to the state or their family?

If a person can contribute towards society and any conditions they have managed when it comes to pain I dont believe in euthanasia. If the person is a vegatable or too badly deformed then I think the state should put them down as standard procedure.

#30    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• "If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot"

"Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow"

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

It is the people you leave behind that will be affected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users