Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sarah Ware Beheading

EddyF

I have been investigating a 109 year old Murder Mystery from my hometown in Bucksport Maine. Sarah Ware was walking home one dark night in September 17, 1898. Some say she simply walked off into the darkness. She was found 2 weeks later, left in a pasture to rot, not far from her home. When they picked her up to place in a casket her head fell off.

After the Coroner held an inquest, it was deemed she met her fate at other then natural causes. That and her left side of her face had been crushed in and her neck completely severed.

The entire State was in a uproar and detectives and newspapers converged on my hometown. After months of investigation, with hundreds of witness interviews. No suspect could be held accountable. Not until the detectives found a bloody tarp and a bloody hammer with the initials of W.T.T. stenciled on the handle. William Treworgy was arrested from that evidence and the testimony of a young men, who claimed to have helped Mr. Treworgy move the body.

The final trial was held in 1902, by then the deputy sheriff and undertaker had both died, dozens had been voted out of office, and witnesses had been scattered to the wind. Not surprising Treworgy walked.

No other suspect was ever taken to trial. They kept the head in evidence for the trial, and never returned it afterwords. Some 80 years later it was found in a box in the courthouse evidence lock-up. 100 years later in 1998 Sarah's skull was reburied with her body. The story can be found on my website Maine Supernatural at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqnk8x along with photos and videos.

linked-image That is how her skull looked when first found in the 1980's. This next photo, is the only known photo in existance of Sarah, I discovered and proved myself.

linked-image

This next photo is one I also discovered and restored of the suspect William Treworgy in the jailhouse.

linked-image

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EddyF

• mrgordo

• Navy Seal

• ~Cheese~

linked-image

What a psycho! Then again, every man dressed in a 3 piece suit looks like a psycho.

Especially if you wear one now.

Say, He didn't take a vacation to London, around about 1888?

• 2 weeks later...

They kept the head for evidence and never returned it? Now that's incompetence!

Interesante!! I saw that clip on history channel also

When you investigate a case like this, the deeper you dig, the more of a wow factor unfolds. One of the key people was killed, actually beat to death, and diagnosed as dying of paralytic shock, before Sarah was even found. A woman that might have been involved with a suspect, died of unknown causes, her baby actually washed up on shore, having been murdered months before. Can a case like this be compared to that of Lizzie Borden. I'd say that was a big yes! Half the town was in on the murder, the other half was covering up, or knew somebody who was.

I have been investigating a 109 year old Murder Mystery from my hometown in Bucksport Maine. Sarah Ware was walking home one dark night in September 17, 1898. Some say she simply walked off into the darkness. She was found 2 weeks later, left in a pasture to rot, not far from her home. When they picked her up to place in a casket her head fell off.

After the Coroner held an inquest, it was deemed she met her fate at other then natural causes. That and her left side of her face had been crushed in and her neck completely severed.

The entire State was in a uproar and detectives and newspapers converged on my hometown. After months of investigation, with hundreds of witness interviews. No suspect could be held accountable. Not until the detectives found a bloody tarp and a bloody hammer with the initials of W.T.T. stenciled on the handle. William Treworgy was arrested from that evidence and the testimony of a young men, who claimed to have helped Mr. Treworgy move the body.

The final trial was held in 1902, by then the deputy sheriff and undertaker had both died, dozens had been voted out of office, and witnesses had been scattered to the wind. Not surprising Treworgy walked.

No other suspect was ever taken to trial. They kept the head in evidence for the trial, and never returned it afterwords. Some 80 years later it was found in a box in the courthouse evidence lock-up. 100 years later in 1998 Sarah's skull was reburied with her body. The story can be found on my website Maine Supernatural at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqnk8x along with photos and videos.

linked-image That is how her skull looked when first found in the 1980's. This next photo, is the only known photo in existance of Sarah, I discovered and proved myself.

linked-image

This next photo is one I also discovered and restored of the suspect William Treworgy in the jailhouse.

linked-image

Weird!

How the heck do you forget about a rotting human head in the evidence room?

I think this is excellent story. I have been to your site, and read everything, watched all the videos, and think the music is dead on. It always surprises me, how stories like yours for the most part get swept under the carpet. While the Borden Bed and Breakfast is doing banner business. Where are the documentaries, where are the history channel shows? I have seen the one poor Haunted History story, it didn't show Poor Sarah in any good light, that even the novice reading your site would have picked up on. I think you should keep rattling the sabers and beating the drums until you get the attention of some of the Hollywood pinhead types, that yes, surprisingly there are still good murder mysteries out there, that do need forensic science to look at. That do need another look by professional investigators.

Now for the big question, you say you have compiled research? Is there a book out there that I can lay my hands on? Have you tried a publisher? Don't tell me they have better stories to publish. Say it ain't so!

• 1 month later...

How did you prove that photo was of the victim? It's so dark the only face I can make out is of the woman sitting down.

How the heck do you forget about a rotting human head in the evidence room?

Yeah It doesn't matter how big the evidence room was that would have stunk out the entire area.

This is a very interesting story! Very bizarre.

How did you prove that photo was of the victim? It's so dark the only face I can make out is of the woman sitting down.

Since it is from a photo that was taken in 1892, I couldn't rely on a 125 year old eyewitness, taking into account the 116 years plus at least 9 year old witness. So I had to rely on proximity, for one. She worked for the person whose house she is standing in front of, and is standing to the left of that family. Secondly, I relied on Facial Feature comparison. Before my photo there has only been a known drawing taken from a tin-type. I have taken the drawing and overlayed it to the face, and the features including the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, dimples and prominent chin, match exactly. Now to me, sketch artists use as a basis at least 3 determining factors, I have established at least six. The only way to exactly prove that the woman in the picture is to facial reconstruct her skull and compare it to the photo. That is a little outside of my price range.

linked-image

The above is the original drawing

linked-image

The above is the actual photo

linked-image

The above is the drawing overlayed on the photo. The features mentioned fit and match exactly. You might say, I'd done my homework.

that's spooky. . and much more deserving of attention than the Lizzie Borden incident. IMO, at least.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just surfing about, and discovered that Mr. Spooner has published a book on his investigation into the murder of Sarah Ware. I have ordered one, and for those interested in the case as I am, his front page on Maine Supernatural has a link to purchase, and he states that it will soon be available on Amazon. The link to the order page is Order a copy here!

• 9 months later...
I was just surfing about, and discovered that Mr. Spooner has published a book on his investigation into the murder of Sarah Ware. I have ordered one, and for those interested in the case as I am, his front page on Maine Supernatural has a link to purchase, and he states that it will soon be available on Amazon. The link to the order page is Order a copy here!

Checking back in on Mr. Spooner and his Sarah Ware case, I have discovered that in true Maniac fashion he has actually come out with 4 books, the First on Sarah Ware, the second on The Trim Family Massacre, the third on Hauntings and the fourth on a lost prehistoric tribe known as the Red Paint People. This is the link to the book page, and from there you can surf to all the Amazon pages. Click here to view the books and Mr. Spooners website! I had actually purchased the first one on Sarah Ware, wanting to see why a story like that, couldn't be as popular as Lizzie Borden. In reading the book from cover to cover several times, I actually found that it is 10 times as twisting and turning as Lizzie, and is a true Victorian string of Murders that if it had been picked up by an actual publisher might have gotten the attention it so deserves, and Mr. Spooner might not be dwindling in obscurity, like he appears to be.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been investigating a 109 year old Murder Mystery from my hometown in Bucksport Maine. Sarah Ware was walking home one dark night in September 17, 1898. Some say she simply linked-image

We judge the way a case is handled by todays standard, we can't do that with cases pre-DNA, they will not hold up. Sarah Ware's head would have been "boiled down", a process still used to reconstruct proper and correct features and body type when the corpse is badly decompossed, burned or damaged beyond any recognition.

Pity they did not make a mold of Sarah's skull, or did they think about it at all? Even a scanned computer imaging would have allowed for a better idea of what she looked like. As for her skull being "forgotten" in a drawer or cupboard, it happened all the time in the hope that the remains would be enough to convict the murderer. Some will crumble when faced with remains, such as the skull, of course back then the authorities would have used "strong perssuasion" (aka beating the suspect to within an inch of his life).

And the photo? Pray tell us which lady is Sarah? It can be re-shot and scanned and the pixels reconfigured to produce a clearer picture. I have done this with family photos that were taken in the mid-1800's. It took time and practice, but an excellant high pixel photo program can work, especially if you take a photo of the picture you have with a high pixel digital camera.

When you investigate a case like this, the deeper you dig, the more of a wow factor unfolds. One of the key people was killed, actually beat to death, and diagnosed as dying of paralytic shock, before Sarah was even found. A woman that might have been involved with a suspect, died of unknown causes, her baby actually washed up on shore, having been murdered months before. Can a case like this be compared to that of Lizzie Borden. I'd say that was a big yes! Half the town was in on the murder, the other half was covering up, or knew somebody who was.

Actually this one makes the Borden Case look like the family had a slight difference over who was staying for supper. :blink::w00t: