Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Netflix Original Programming

ExpandMyMind

So, has anyone seen Netflix's most recent two attempts at original programming? Their aim is to compete with HBO, which is a massive task is you ask me, but they have done an excellent job. The two shows match just about anything HBO has put out.

The acting in both of the above shows is absolutely outstanding. Kevin Spacey in House of Cards is chillingly good; ruthless. If you could win an Oscar for a TV show then he would blow the competition out of the water (I know TV has its "equivalent"). It is an amazing show about the political ins and outs of the U.S. system - in particular, one man's Machiavellian journey of revenge against an up and coming president who has just broken a promise of a high level position in return for essentially winning him the presidential race - and I recommend it to everyone who has even the slightest interest in U.S. politics.

Hemlock Grove has much the same quality with regards to the performances. It is a show about the supernatural with heavy elements of science fiction, but it is far more subtle than Trueblood or Twilight. It is primarily a mind-******* mystery. Seriously, it blew my mind. I suggest not reading any reviews, as you will undoubtedly find spoilers that you would rather not have discovered. Just watch it with an open mind and let the story take you on a journey. It may be more suited to many on here who enjoy the supernatural than its political counterpart, but just to warn you, it has its own take on werewolf and supernatural lore which I actually found refreshing.

Both of the shows are unconventional in that they do not set out to win as many viewers as possible with each episode. They are slow in pace, building on excellent story and superb character development, and, in my opinion, are designed to be watched in large chunks. Best of all, you can watch both shows in HD with a free Netflix one month trial. Essentially they are free!

For people who love slower shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and others that concentrate on character development and substantial storytelling, then I highly recommend these two shows. They are easily some of the best TV I have ever seen (and I have seen just about everything good that has been released on TV).

Well done Netflix. I look forward to future seasons of these shows and anything else that Netflix releases in the future.

• Like 1

You would think so, but no. I'm just excited about the way in which they are revolutionising TV.

I also previously posted about their up and coming science fiction show that has the creators of both The Matrix and Babylon 5 working together. How can I not be excited about that? :D

• Like 1

You a Netflix employee?

lol.. I think ExpandMyMind, just appreciates great value for money. Its not often we pay for something and get real value.

• Like 1

I've been watching House of Cards. It's really good! All star cast, interesting story line, and great production value. So far, Netflix programming is a hit with me!

• Like 1

I am looking forward to Netflix releasing a new season of Arrested Development on May 24th. The way they are going about it is brilliant. There will be 12 episodes released all at once and from what I have heard it will be interactive. Each episode revolves around a single character but it is all happening at the same time. So if you are watching Buster's episode and you see Lindsay walk by, you can click on her and it will switch to that part of her episode. I hope that makes sense. The whole season is set up to prepare us for a full length movie that will be coming later. As an Arrested Development fan, Netflix has done me good.

I also really liked House of Cards and thought Hemlock Grove was pretty ok.

I've been watching House of Cards. It's really good! All star cast, interesting story line, and great production value. So far, Netflix programming is a hit with me!

I want to get Netflix for House of Cards alone, I loved the original BBC series and Kevin Spacey is always worth the admission fee, first saw him in American Beauty and I've been a fan ever since.

I watched all of house of cards it was awsome