Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Christian worker sues over Sunday shifts

celestina mba sunday shifts christian worker

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,902 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Children's care worker Celestina Mba, 58, will say that an employer has a duty to "reasonably accommodate" the beliefs of a Christian worker.

Ms Mba brought the original claim after her employer, which offers 24-hour care for disabled children, would not promise her that she would never be put on shift on a Sunday.

The Baptist and mother of three told The Sunday Times she had faced criticism for her stance but argued she was not trying to impose her beliefs on anyone else.

http://www.telegraph...day-shifts.html

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

people first, religion last

#3    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 20 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Children's care worker Celestina Mba, 58, will say that an employer has a duty to "reasonably accommodate" the beliefs of a Christian worker.

Ms Mba brought the original claim after her employer, which offers 24-hour care for disabled children, would not promise her that she would never be put on shift on a Sunday.

The Baptist and mother of three told The Sunday Times she had faced criticism for her stance but argued she was not trying to impose her beliefs on anyone else.

http://www.telegraph...day-shifts.html

These children need constant care......seven days a week, not six! If she is going to be in this line of work, then her primary duty is to the children. Her religion comes second. If this is her stance, then I think a different career needs to be looked at.

Obviously these children are not her primary concern.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#4    markdohle

markdohle

Government Agent

• 4,290 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

She needs to work along with the other workers.  It is nonsense for someone to say that they can't work on Sundays, people still need to be taken care of and it forces others to work more Sundays than they need to.  Perhaps if the other workers agreed,but I think that may not be the case.

peace
mark

#5    bulveye

bulveye

Poltergeist

• 2,315 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

She is being ridiculous. Hope she wastes money on this pathetic attempt to make some cash.

Julian: "You're prostituting yourself out for cheeseburgers again, aren't you?"
Randy: "A man's gotta eat, Julian."      ~ Trailer Park Boys

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,095 posts

• I don't want to believe; I want to know.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Can you imagine what would happen if all these highly religious people did this?
At some point a line needs to be drawn as there is only so far you can continually accommodate everyone.

In the health care field your priority is to your patients, their health problems won't take a hiatus just because you feel you shouldn't do your job on a particular day.
If I was in such a position, my job and the people I am responsible for are FAR more important than what a religious books says

But Euphorbia is right, if this is the woman's stance then maybe she needs to explore other avenues in her career.

Posted Image If you could go to my scroll and click my other egg, I'd appreciate it!
Visit my Forest of Mirrors Hold
My Tale of Dragons Lair

#7    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,143 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm of a couple minds about this.

In one of the connected articles, she claims that when she was first hired in 2007, the company agreed to her request of not working Sundays. It was after that initial agreement that they wanted her to work Sundays.
She also said she offered to cover more nights and Saturdays instead, and other workers have offered to cover her Sundays instead, but that was refused.
But there's some missing information. Like, what was the hours policy when she got hired, and has it changed since then? Were other people given a choice or had an agreement with the employer for other days off? Do they allow shift trading otherwise?
I did find it interesting that she resigned in 2010, has not found employment elsewhere, and now is suing the company.

#8    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,119 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

Add in that Christianity doesn't actually teach that you must go to a specific building every Sunday, I think she can't sue for her job infringing on her religious needs.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#9    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postrashore, on 20 October 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

In one of the connected articles, she claims that when she was first hired in 2007, the company agreed to her request of not working Sundays. It was after that initial agreement that they wanted her to work Sundays.
She also said she offered to cover more nights and Saturdays instead, and other workers have offered to cover her Sundays instead, but that was refused.

These things alone make me take her side.  She's willing to be flexible and make arrangements to allow her accommodation, but for some reason, the company refuses?

Sounds to me like someone made a decision when she was hired, but then the responsibility passed to someone who didn't like that decision for some reason (or perhaps didn't like her personally).  They decided to use her requirements to push her out.

#10    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostAvallaine, on 21 October 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

These things alone make me take her side.  She's willing to be flexible and make arrangements to allow her accommodation, but for some reason, the company refuses?

Sounds to me like someone made a decision when she was hired, but then the responsibility passed to someone who didn't like that decision for some reason (or perhaps didn't like her personally).  They decided to use her requirements to push her out.

She wasn't pushed put......she quit. She even claimed that god came before her own children. This woman cared about god more than her own children, as well as those she was in charge of taking care of.

She should not be caring for children when she deems them less important than having Sundays off.

Working on Sunday should in no way diminish her faith. She can still quietly pray and think of god while she works.

I have no sympathy for her......none!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,145 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

Not sure, but I think "Seventh Day Adventists" also advocate the "no work on Sunday"

#12    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,119 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

View Postpallidin, on 21 October 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Not sure, but I think "Seventh Day Adventists" also advocate the "no work on Sunday"
Except for the fact that Seventh Day Adventists hold Saturday sacred, so you may have to amend this to "no work on Saturday" (I'm not certain what their stance is for professions like doctors or police who are often on-call 24/7).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

The seven day week is one of the worst offenses committed by ancient religions.  It renders designing a reasonable calendar almost impossible -- in fact absolutely impossible -- look at the mess we have of varying length months and the days of the month occurring on random days of the week, and interlocutory days, and so on.

Some of the problems come from the fact that the diurnal and annual rotations of the earth are not a rational fraction, and some comes from trying to include the moon in it all, but of these the only variable we could use to make it simpler would be having a ten day week, but religion makes that impossible.

#14    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,119 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I've never had problems with the seven-day cycle. But then, I'm rather laid back about this sort of thing. I think most people are.

Posted Image

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

I guess it's kinda like using American feet and miles rather than the rest of the world's meters and kilometers.  The latter is sensible and makes the world a little easier, the former is just nonsense that Americans stick with because they don't want to allow that someone else might have developed a better system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users