Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Row over Satanism night school course

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• News Writer
  • 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

news icon rAn unholy row has broken out after a night-school course in Satanism was launched in a village hall. Occultist Scott Jones is guiding students through topics such as a witchcraft, Satanism and tarot during the course in Worle, Somerset.

Students on the 10-week course, will learn how to "increase their mental and physical strength through meditation" discover the "magic alphabet" and investigate rituals with dolls.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: 24dash

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Lizardian_guy

Lizardian_guy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Undefinable variable entered, system failure imminent. Please contact your administrator.

• I think, therefore I am. Does this mean I can discard the existence of mankind?

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

The classes don't seem so interesting, but I'd go just to piss off those who protest against it.

I bet those who say the courses are distasteful and horrific don't even know what they're talking about.

Here, let's have some fun:

In your hometown, organize such a class on satanism. Make it known that you have a class on satanism. However, don't give any class, just pretend. Make up a story. Soon, you'll have people complaining that you sacrificed their pets and that your students are defiling some sacred stuff, say a graveyard.

If you want it to be even funnier, reveal the truth, that there were no classes in the first places and that all that you said was made up. The reaction of people should be priceless.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Trying to explain the unknown as the work of God is equally stupid as trying to explain it as the work of the human mind.
~ Myself

#3    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

If they have such a problem with religion, perhaps they should close down all Churchs and every other holy site around their area.

Poor Christians getting beaten down by a schooling course.  rolleyes.gif

I'll ask this as nicely as I really can...

Who's followers have done more evil in the last 2000 years? Lucifers followers or the followers of Christ? original.gif

Shocking, ain't it?  wink2.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#4    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,140 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

If they have such a problem with religion, perhaps they should close down all Churchs and every other holy site around their area.

Poor Christians getting beaten down by a schooling course.  rolleyes.gif

I'll ask this as nicely as I really can...

Who's followers have done more evil in the last 2000 years? Lucifers followers or the followers of Christ? original.gif

Oh, I lost count right after the whole business of Holy crusades and the killings in the name of God started.  happy.gif  Which to say, the Muslims stole that bit from the Catholics.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#5    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

What is it that they say about Knowledge?  Aside it being power...

But hey, if they want to keep people ignorant...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#6    DevaDevil

DevaDevil

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

• Without Music, Life would be a Waste

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

thumbsup.gif Very true

But hey, if they want to keep people ignorant...

The best way to keep people believe in anything is to keep them ignorant of whatever is around them. And the best way to keep a large mass ignorant is to ingrain the notion that everything around them is bad (evil) and they should actively oppose it.
innocent.gif

Knowledge is indeed power; the power to decide for yourself what to believe in and what not. Don't disbelieve in anything simply because you don't know it. cool.gif

Am I supposed to be a sceptic, just because I'm a scientist?
-------------------------------------
http://www.tkoc.net - cool game

#7    starlitkate

starlitkate

Mummer's Star

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

• I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friends

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

This to me is definitely shocking. I know that I myself would never attend one of these classes so I aint gotta worry. Hehe I wonder how many of these students became terrified of the dark after volunteerily attending this satanic class. lol laugh.gif

- Signature removed, exceeds 500x150 size limit -

#8    Ryo Ohki

Ryo Ohki

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

I dont care if they dont hurt animals.

Heaven didnt want me and Hell thinks I will take over.

#9    Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

• We are here to be free to live in love...

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

The classes don't seem so interesting, but I'd go just to piss off those who protest against it.

I bet those who say the courses are distasteful and horrific don't even know what they're talking about.

Here, let's have some fun:

In your hometown, organize such a class on satanism. Make it known that you have a class on satanism. However, don't give any class, just pretend. Make up a story. Soon, you'll have people complaining that you sacrificed their pets and that your students are defiling some sacred stuff, say a graveyard.

If you want it to be even funnier, reveal the truth, that there were no classes in the first places and that all that you said was made up. The reaction of people should be priceless.

Sheesh.  Someone opened a "New Age" store, on our Main Street in the old part of town, and it lasted 1 month, I think.  People were horrified. "They" got it closed down.
Anyone trying to achieve teaching anything other than what "They" think should be acceptable, would have "Them"(The Bull Mountain Yuppie mom's), the rich people behind everthing in this town, after them one night with torches and pitchforks.

Live In Love- Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

#10    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

Sheesh.  Someone opened a "New Age" store, on our Main Street in the old part of town, and it lasted 1 month, I think.  People were horrified. "They" got it closed down.
Anyone trying to achieve teaching anything other than what "They" think should be acceptable, would have "Them"(The Bull Mountain Yuppie mom's), the rich people behind everthing in this town, after them one night with torches and pitchforks.

You gotta be kidding me...  I mean cripes are Christian stores the only stores allowed to be open for peoples faith?  New Age stores tend to carry everything else... and are *HARMLESS* to these people...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#11    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

If I remember correctly...Satanism has absolutely nothing to do with Satan. Belief in the devil is a part of Christian belief; if they actually believed in Satan, they'd be Christians (perhaps not very good ones, but Christians all the same). Satanists are usually athiests or agnostics...they don't believe the devil actually exists.

The reason their beliefs are named after Satan is because they choose him as a symbol of individuality and self determination. Whether or not Christians would be offended or not probably didn't enter into the creative process...I doubt Christians thought long and hard about whether other people would be offended about the implication they would burn in hell for all eternity.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#12    Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

• We are here to be free to live in love...

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:19 AM

You gotta be kidding me...  I mean cripes are Christian stores the only stores allowed to be open for peoples faith?  New Age stores tend to carry everything else... and are *HARMLESS* to these people...

In my town, I guess so!
It's crazy!  We're very close to a major city: Portland, Oregon, and these people are so judgemental!  People act this way, because of their fears.  I am Christian, but Celtic, and not fanatical!  I go to a bead store, alot, to get supplies for making gemstone jewelry.  They used to carry alot of Pentacles, and beautiful Celtic things.  Now, they don't.  And it is the same thing that the other store went through.  It makes me so mad!  angry.gif  devil.gif

Live In Love- Lady Warrior Ravynwynn

#13    MadMachine

MadMachine

Knight of the Most High God

• 1,728 posts

• Your God is Imaginary.

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

Aren't mainstream religions learned about in those kinds of schools? If one religion is taught, any other religion should also be allowed to be taught.

ERODE

#14    starlitkate

starlitkate

Mummer's Star

• 1,431 posts

• I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friends

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:14 AM

The 'New Age' stores are being closed down for the same movement that moved celebration of holidays out of schools, the removal of Merry Christmas in stores such as walmart, the prayer and 10 commandments in school. It's not all public siding with christianity!!  I'm sure if Wiccan was a more international religion instead of christianity, then the same thing would be said coming from the other side if this were to happen.  It all comes down to anything religous not being allowed anywhere. It's gonna get to where church gatherings will be in homes the same as most all other religions are practiced, then the government will open a church that allows all to come but under that certain religion.  It's not christians that are closing this store down.  Trust me, the people that rented the space to put this store up has every right to have the store there. Noone in the community can shut it down without a purposeful reason.  Maybe the person with the store couldn't afford to rent the space.  I have spent a great deal of most my life traveling and I can say this much-alot of places have normal books stores and coffee shops and such that allow all kinds of books including wiccan & satanism. If you go to a mall then you will find a book store of that sort.

Edited by starlitkate, 14 October 2006 - 04:16 AM.

- Signature removed, exceeds 500x150 size limit -

#15    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,347 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:15 AM

What a laugh.

Its good to see the Christians being as tolerant as usual

Posted Image