Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missouri enacts welfare limits

OverSword

From the article:

Missouri lawmakers voted Tuesday to remove several thousand families from a welfare program by imposing shorter time limits for people to receive the benefits, overriding a veto by the state's Democratic governor.

The new law will reduce Missouri's lifetime limit for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families cash assistance program from five years to three years and nine months, starting in January. The law also imposes stricter work requirements.

The Republican-led House voted 113-42 Tuesday to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto, largely along party lines. The Senate voted 25-9 to override the veto on Monday.

Shortly after the vote, Nixon announced that he had vetoed another Republican-backed bill paring back the social safety net. That bill would reduce the duration of unemployment rates from the current 20 weeks to as few as 13 weeks by linking the length to the state's unemployment rate.

Republican lawmakers already have said they will try to override the veto of the jobless benefits bill. But the House fell well short of the two-thirds majority that would be needed when the bill originally was sent to Nixon last month. The House also failed to override Nixon's veto of a similar unemployment bill last year.

Both measures are part of a push by Republicans in several states to curtail spending on social programs in a way that they say encourages personal responsibility.

Source

• Like 2

I am not sure if changing the law will magic more jobs into existence for people to, you know, work.

But maybe this voodoo economics will create new jobs. It will be interesting to see it play out.

• Like 3

I am not sure if changing the law will magic more jobs into existence for people to, you know, work.

But maybe this voodoo economics will create new jobs. It will be interesting to see it play out.

Yeah, I would have been far more impressed if Missouri had succeeded from NAFTA

• Like 2

Both measures are part of a push by Republicans in several states to curtail spending on social programs in a way that they say encourages personal responsibility.

Source

If only that were the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

I have to wonder what affect this will have on illegal aliens, as well as those who are natural born citizens? Bound to make a few people angry when benefits are cut. Only so many pieces in the pie with our current economy.

• Like 1

I have to wonder what affect this will have on illegal aliens, as well as those who are natural born citizens? Bound to make a few people angry when benefits are cut. Only so many pieces in the pie with our current economy.

Do you still believe that illegal aliens get welfare? It amazes me that there are still people out there that believe such trash..

• Like 2

Do you still believe that illegal aliens get welfare? It amazes me that there are still people out there that believe such trash..

LMAO! So happy to amaze you! Now for my next trick I shall pull a rabbit out of my hat! :lol:

• Like 3

he is right, they do not get welfare, but they pay about 10b in collective taxes a year. they actually pay into the system, but will never get anything out of it. they do pay taxes even if they are here illegally, (not all pay taxes) they do not have ss, but they can get tax id number,

If it weren't for illegals, our system would have collapsed quite some time ago.

• Like 2

I generally like the idea of a time limit on welfare, but I thought it was supposed to prevent lifelong dependence. I think 5 years isn't a crazy long time. Especially for a single mother raising kids.

Now if that woman is riding welfare and having more kids just to get more benefits.... Which could be hard to prove, then she's just gaming the system and probably needs to somehow be pointed toward helping herself, rather then just sucking on the public milk jug.

• Like 2

I have sympathy for those trying to make ends meet. I know that feeling. I don't have any sympathy for parasites who feed off the system because their to lazy to work. Even if it's just bagging groceries or whatever. Their just lazy individuals who want a free ride.

• Like 5

he is right, they do not get welfare, but they pay about 10b in collective taxes a year. they actually pay into the system, but will never get anything out of it. they do pay taxes even if they are here illegally, (not all pay taxes) they do not have ss, but they can get tax id number,

No he is wrong, so far wrong it is unconscionable!

Here is my favorite example, Ohio released number back in 2012, many states have more illegals many have less Ohio is probably a good average.

http://www.fairus.or...tion-to-ohioans

Ohio has a rapidly growing illegal alien population of about 110,000 persons, nearly tripling since 2000.

• Ohio's illegal immigrant population costs the state's taxpayers an estimated $879 million per year for education, medical care, law enforcement, social services and other government services. The annual fiscal burden amounts to about $200 per Ohio household headed by a U.S. citizen.

The estimated amount of the taxes currently collected from the illegal workers is about $18.8 million per year.

The fiscal costs of illegal immigration to Ohio's taxpayers do not end with these three major cost areas. They would be considerably higher if other cost areas such as assistance programs for needy families or welfare benefits for American workers displaced by illegal alien workers or lost or depressed wages were included in the calculation.

Now multiply those numbers by 50 States you you will start to get a good idea how much it costs the tax payers versus what they contribute.

Even if they were contributing 10b to the economy that alone is negated by the the 25b plus they take out of the US economy each year and send abroad in the form of remittances and that number is from 2010 http://www.cis.org/n...emittances-iadb no doubt much higher now.

These numbers have only gone up, way up, and not just because of the new arrivals, lax border security, or the having lowest deportation numbers for any president http://www.washingto...record-low-not/, but simply because they are substantially adding to the welfare roles from within the US.

http://www.breitbart...e-in-10-births/

Approximately 350,000 to 400,000 children are born to illegal immigrants in the U.S. each year. Due to current policy, all automatically become U.S. citizens, Center for Immigration Studies legal policy analyst Jon Feere testified before a House panel Wednesday.

“To put this in perspective this means that one out of 10 births in the U.S. is to an illegal immigrant mother,”

Each one of those children are eligible for welfare, they know it, and they exploit it, so they are adding 350K to 400k welfare recipients to our welfare roles annually.

Illegal immigration cost the US taxpayer easily in excess of a 100 billion dollars a year, they are a absolute, undeniable and unjustifiable detriment to the Country, it would be literally be cheaper in the long run to deport them all, pay American workers $20 and hour to pick fruit.

In fact there are only three entities that profit in anyway from their existence;

The Democrat party as government dependent slaves to increases their voting block, they simply can't get elected or their agendas done without these types of nefarious means, even it means destroying the economy, or hurting Americans.

Big labor, where they to abuse them by paying them low wages and lining their pockets with the profit, (passing it on to the consumer is another fallacy).

Racists whom want Amnesty, open borders, that knowingly and willfully place their race above the welfare of their fellow Americans and their country, worst kind of racist there is.

Edited by Socio
  • Like 2

No he is wrong, so far wrong it is unconscionable!

well he is still right about illegals getting no welfare, that is all he said. ,

Edited by aztek

My bet is that it will increase the petty crime rate. People who are hungry don't care about laws or morals.

• Like 1

well he is still right about illegals getting no welfare, that is all he said. ,

Depends on what you mean by "welfare."

They are eligible for public housing (section 8) if they are living with anyone here legally.

They are eligible for basically ALL benefits, if they have at least one child born in the U.S.

That includes full WIC when their child is young, and food stamps until their child is 18.

Also, free medical - at the emergency room.

I don't know if it's a large impact, there are no hard numbers since people tend not to answer questions like "Are you here legally?" in an honest way when the answer is "No."

Harte

• Like 4

They do!

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare

https://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2011/04/most-illegal-immigrant-families-collect-welfare/

Census Bureau data reveals that most U.S. families headed by illegal immigrants use taxpayer-funded welfare programs on behalf of their American-born anchor babies.Even before the recession, immigrant households with children used welfare programs at consistently higher rates than natives

In Texas 70% illegal immigrant families receive welfare:

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/04/study-70-of-texas-illegal-immigrant-families-receive-welfare/

LA county alone spends $650 million in welfare benefits to illegal immigrant parents annually:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/16/undocumented-la-county-parents-projected-to-receive-650m-in-welfare-benefits/

They know how to play the system and do it in mass and not just the ones here illegally either.

I live right on the border, Mexican national pregnant women come over virtually on a daily basis to have their children at our hospitals so they get dual citizenship and go back home in Mexico. They are then able to collect welfare, they are able to send those kids to to our schools without even residing in the Country, hell we send school buses to the border to pick them up every morning drop them off in the afternoon, free breakfast and lunch provided.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

You've obviously never been to California... I've went to one of the welfare renewal buildings with my brother once, over half of the them are illegal who don't speak a word of English.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's a large impact, there are no hard numbers since people tend not to answer questions like "Are you here legally?" in an honest way when the answer is "No."

All you need to do is go to the emergency room any day of the week, and what you hear is mostly Spanish being spoken. That doesn't give you hard numbers, it just tells you that the numbers are hard.

I agree with the initiative IF at the 3 year and eight month mark, the people getting the aid can go "I still need it because of X and Y, I've fulfilled A, B and C of your requirements".

SO basically, bludgers gets told "sod off" while people in genuine need still get the support.

• Like 2

Even here in upstate new York illegals get welfare. There is a big Guatemala population that work on dairy farms. I can't cite the stats, just a fact as I grew up farming, and still know the farmers in my area, and everyone of the big farmers have onsite housing so they can't get deported, not traveling the roads. Then there is a program wish I knew it's name, but basically it assists the illegals with everything from shopping, to welfare. I live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath. Before I moved on it was a house for the farm hands. There was 12 people living here, half worked days the other nights, not counting there girlfriend who got here.

Even here in upstate new York illegals get welfare. There is a big Guatemala population that work on dairy farms. I can't cite the stats, just a fact as I grew up farming, and still know the farmers in my area, and everyone of the big farmers have onsite housing so they can't get deported, not traveling the roads. Then there is a program wish I knew it's name, but basically it assists the illegals with everything from shopping, to welfare. I live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath. Before I moved on it was a house for the farm hands. There was 12 people living here, half worked days the other nights, not counting there girlfriend who got here.

Seeing operations like this is what made me give up on calling them illegals. Systems like this don't get set up without industry and government approval.

• Like 1

I have sympathy for those trying to make ends meet. I know that feeling. I don't have any sympathy for parasites who feed off the system because their to lazy to work. Even if it's just bagging groceries or whatever. Their just lazy individuals who want a free ride.

Could you define parasites? FYI, some of the working poor receive benefits, because their jobs don't pay enough to meet all their expenses. And many single moms with kids can't afford full time child care. That's mostly who is receiving benefits, you know, single moms with kids whose fathers fail to pay any child support. I don't know where you live, but here in my neck of the woods decent paying jobs are hard to come by. Most people eventually get off welfare, and are happy to do so, and maybe could do so sooner if local district attorneys' offices spent more resources pursuing deadbeat dads. Welfare is a last resort for most people. It was for me. I was lucky enough to get a job before I received any benefits, but for a single mom with three kids and no child support, life was hard for a long time.

• Like 2

You've obviously never been to California... I've went to one of the welfare renewal buildings with my brother once, over half of the them are illegal who don't speak a word of English.

I was a welfare worker in California. Anyone without a green card is not eligible to received benefits of any kind. However, any of their children born in the US are eligible, with the parent/parents as payee. It's also been my experience that many illegal immigrants do speak some English, but are more comfortable speaking their native language. Just because you never heard them speak English doesn't mean they can't.

• Like 1

Could you define parasites? FYI, some of the working poor receive benefits, because their jobs don't pay enough to meet all their expenses. And many single moms with kids can't afford full time child care. That's mostly who is receiving benefits, you know, single moms with kids whose fathers fail to pay any child support.

These fathers are the parasites, you know. Let's not pretend that they aren't.

Harte

• Like 2

The one's I call parasites are the drug heads that do nothing but dope up all day and live off my hard work. I think I didn't state myself correctly. I have issues with people who just feed off the system, they do nothing to get out of their situation or at least try to make the effort. I've know those types.

I can understand those who are trying, working whatever job they can. I've know them and I've been one of them. I've had to fight hard to have a life. Took me a good 10 years to stand on my own.