Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 2 votes

53-a-week Iain Duncan Smith


  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • CHAMP20NS

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

As almost 200,000 people signed an online petition urging Iain Duncan Smith to make good on his claim he could live on £53 a week, it has emerged that a petition on a government website on the same issue was rejected.

Quote

Work and pensions secretary Mr Duncan Smith made the claim following a discussion on the Today programme in which market trader David Bennett said he was left with only £53 a week after rent and bills following a cut to his housing benefit.


http://metro.co.uk/2...ebsite-3579207/


#2    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

    Observer

  • Member
  • 5,359 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • The loud ones never last!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

i'm not quite sure what they mean here..it says after bilsl and rent are paid, so is it 53quid a week just for food, cause I could live on that no problem, infact I probably spend less then that...

I think he should change the wording slightly, to "I could exist on 53quid a week", cause you can't do much else..but then benefits are meant to tide you over, not be a way of living..

Edited by Sky Scanner, 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#3    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • CHAMP20NS

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I could live on that no problem, infact I probably spend less then that...

Me too, yes it was after bills and rent, £53 wouldn't last too long in the capital though, but it would have been interesting to hear about his experience...if undertaken


#4    JC2

JC2

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • the truth comes with a straight jacket, one size fits all....

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 02 April 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

As almost 200,000 people signed an online petition urging Iain Duncan Smith to make good on his claim he could live on £53 a week, it has emerged that a petition on a government website on the same issue was rejected.



http://metro.co.uk/2...ebsite-3579207/



Hi ciriuslea, thanks for the post, just signed the “change” petition, viva revolution....

Edited by JC2, 02 April 2013 - 02:24 PM.

the truth comes with a straight jacket, one size fits all....

#5    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,771 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 02 April 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Me too, yes it was after bills and rent, £53 wouldn't last too long in the capital though, but it would have been interesting to hear about his experience...if undertaken
If you saved it wisely and lets say lived in a tent, thats pretty much all you need, a few hot meals would be nice


#6    stillvoice

stillvoice

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

The cuts to welfare which the government are enacting are ideologically driven and the rhetoric which they and the media use is designed to create resentment toward those on the lower end of the social scale. It really is a sign of the moral degradation of a society where the poor are penalised yet the corrupt banking system and its adherents who are chiefly responsible for the economic woe are conveniently forgotten about. The public find it easier to look down on those they consider to be below them rather than those above them which explains why the average person is all to ready to condemn those on benefits while they are indifferent to the corruptness that exists at the highest levels.  The conservative party have always represented the interests of the wealthy and the privileged and it is testament to the current apathy of this country that they have been able to regain power.

It is the conservative government who are responsible for the long term unemployment trends and also the creation of the so called underclass by dismantling British industry which has subsequently led to a vacuum in the UK jobs market which has never been filled and won't be and their systematic attack on the lower classes continues.


#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 9,977 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

  • I reckon so.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

You guys are forgetting travel costs, clothing, toiletries, stationery....  you'll only get the £53 if you are actively seeking work and to seek work you need all of the aforementioned.  Unless your can find local work as a smelly tramp.

Edited by Eldorado, 02 April 2013 - 03:19 PM.


#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,148 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have to admit I don't know much about British benefits but if they are fair now why do they need reformed?


#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,148 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

View Poststillvoice, on 02 April 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

The cuts to welfare which the government are enacting are ideologically driven and the rhetoric which they and the media use is designed to create resentment toward those on the lower end of the social scale. It really is a sign of the moral degradation of a society where the poor are penalised yet the corrupt banking system and its adherents who are chiefly responsible for the economic woe are conveniently forgotten about. The public find it easier to look down on those they consider to be below them rather than those above them which explains why the average person is all to ready to condemn those on benefits while they are indifferent to the corruptness that exists at the highest levels.  The conservative party have always represented the interests of the wealthy and the privileged and it is testament to the current apathy of this country that they have been able to regain power.

It is the conservative government who are responsible for the long term unemployment trends and also the creation of the so called underclass by dismantling British industry which has subsequently led to a vacuum in the UK jobs market which has never been filled and won't be and their systematic attack on the lower classes continues.
That is what is going on here too.  Protect the rich bankers/companies and punish the poor for being poor.  Never mind the jobs aren't there anymore.


#10    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • CHAMP20NS

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

View Poststillvoice, on 02 April 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

The cuts to welfare which the government are enacting are ideologically driven and the rhetoric which they and the media use is designed to create resentment toward those on the lower end of the social scale. It really is a sign of the moral degradation of a society where the poor are penalised yet the corrupt banking system and its adherents who are chiefly responsible for the economic woe are conveniently forgotten about. The public find it easier to look down on those they consider to be below them rather than those above them which explains why the average person is all to ready to condemn those on benefits while they are indifferent to the corruptness that exists at the highest levels.  The conservative party have always represented the interests of the wealthy and the privileged and it is testament to the current apathy of this country that they have been able to regain power.

It is the conservative government who are responsible for the long term unemployment trends and also the creation of the so called underclass by dismantling British industry which has subsequently led to a vacuum in the UK jobs market which has never been filled and won't be and their systematic attack on the lower classes continues.

I personally feel severe austerity is a silent admission of failure, sure some measures needed to be taken, but don't we have the 'Cream of the Crop' Oxford and Cambridge highly educated people in Gov, who intern employ professional lawyers and economists etc etc, I find it hard to understand how an economy is supposed to grow if you don't take measures for it to, and I don't mean tax breaks for the rich with no guarantee the rich will use them for investment...We don't have any serious industry in the UK, Gov has no means of revenue other than taxes....I fear its only going to get worse.

Edited by ciriuslea, 02 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.


#11    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • CHAMP20NS

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 April 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

I have to admit I don't know much about British benefits but if they are fair now why do they need reformed?

I don't fully understand the situation myself, but one thing I keep coming back to is something I read a while back concerning tax avoidance....10% of the tax avoided by big corps would pay the benefit bill...but yet people on benefit are being demonised and its almost to the point that here in the UK , public opinion is being manipulated to somehow suggest benefit claimants are to blame for the mess we are in.


#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,148 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 02 April 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

I don't fully understand the situation myself, but one thing I keep coming back to is something I read a while back concerning tax avoidance....10% of the tax avoided by big corps would pay the benefit bill...but yet people on benefit are being demonised and its almost to the point that here in the UK , public opinion is being manipulated to somehow suggest benefit claimants are to blame for the mess we are in.
I think that is what the rich want, blame the poor to take the scrutiny off of them and their propaganda is working.  Its the same here, it seems like people would rather a child go hungry than make the rich pay their fair share of taxes.

EDIT:  I know there are abuses of the welfare system but not to the point people are led to believe.  There are far more abuses of the tax system by the rich.

Edited by Hilander, 02 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.


#13    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostEldorado, on 02 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

You guys are forgetting travel costs, clothing, toiletries, stationery....  you'll only get the £53 if you are actively seeking work and to seek work you need all of the aforementioned.  Unless your can find local work as a smelly tramp.

Exactly.

People think it's nothing, but it's a lot less than people think.

View PostHilander, on 02 April 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

I think that is what the rich want, blame the poor to take the scrutiny off of them and their propaganda is working.  Its the same here, it seems like people would rather a child go hungry than make the rich pay their fair share of taxes.

EDIT:  I know there are abuses of the welfare system but not to the point people are led to believe.  There are far more abuses of the tax system by the rich.

Exactly. More people should start realising this.

Edited by Coffey, 02 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#14    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,201 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

When you have 29 million people working of which 26million are paying income tax and all this tax generated doesn't even cover the benefits bill, then at some point someone is going to have to take the tough action needed. benefit payments in this country are costing us £208 Billion pounds a year. how you go about resolving this problem is anyones guess, successive government have failed to grasp the nettle.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#15    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 04 April 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

When you have 29 million people working of which 26million are paying income tax and all this tax generated doesn't even cover the benefits bill, then at some point someone is going to have to take the tough action needed. benefit payments in this country are costing us £208 Billion pounds a year. how you go about resolving this problem is anyones guess, successive government have failed to grasp the nettle.

By making cuts you are not helping the system, it will just get worse over time until ther eis more unemployed etc. It will not help generate money into the system.

The only solution is creating more jobs and putting more money into the system.

The FACT is that msot of the taxes are going into paying our countries debt to a privately owned bank... That is the rela problem, the people should control the central bankign system through the goverment... You know how a countyr is supposed to be run.

Sadly it doesn't work like that because of what happened in 1815....

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users