Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Bizarre' new mammal discovered

Owlscrying

linked-image

A new species of mammal has been discovered in the mountains of Tanzania.

The bizarre-looking creature, dubbed Rhynochocyon udzungwensis, is a type of giant elephant shrew, or sengi. The cat-sized animal, looks like a cross between a miniature antelope and a small ant eater.

It has a grey face, a long, flexible snout, a bulky, amber body, a jet-black rump and it stands on spindly legs.

"This is one of the most exciting discoveries of my career," said Galen Rathbun, from the California Academy of Sciences, who helped to confirm the animal was new to science.

Elephant shrews are only found in Africa. In fact, the creature is more closely related to a group of African mammals, which include elephants, sea cows, aardvarks and hyraxes, having shared a common ancestor with them about 100 million years ago.

It uses its long, flexible nose and tongue to flick up insects, such as termites, and it is most active either at dawn, dusk, or during the day.

go

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legatus Legionis

• BiffSplitkins

• Neognosis

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat sized?? :o

I want one!!

hahaha.. everything that has a CAT in it.. haha.. cool though.

linked-image

Dang that thing is cute.

Kinda looks like an anteater.

When I saw the pic, I didn't think it was that "bizarre" to be honest (not after you've seen what the elephant shrew looks like), but when I read what size it was...well I changed my mind :lol:

They have elephant shrews at the Philly Zoo and I always go all girly over them. They are cute. This guy is larger it seems, and a brighter color.

LOL, what a let down... I expected something BIZARRE, it's just a big type of Elephant shrew... interesting it's found outside of Africa though... IMO

I don't think I would want one for a pet. Cat size is pretty big for a shrew. I bet it would dig up the yard. We have armadillos that do enough digging in the yard. I don't want one of them as a pet either, but I hear they are tasty.

That pic is misleading if it is indeed cat size. It looks so small.

Cool none-the-less.

Nice!