Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Is Fast Food to Blame?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#16    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

Several recent studies have shown that fructose is processed differently in the body than the far more common sugar, glucose (3,4). Glucose causes the pancreas to release insulin which drives sugar from the bloodstream into cells. Glucose causes fat cells to release leptin that makes you feel full so you eat less. Glucose prevents the stomach from releasing ghrelin that makes you hungry. On the other hand, fructose does not cause fat cells to release leptin and does not suppress ghrelin. This means that fructose increases hunger to make you eat more. Furthermore, the liver converts fructose far more readily to a body fat called triglyceride, than it does with glucose. High triglyceride levels raise blood levels of the bad LDL cholesterol and lower blood levels of the good HDL cholesterol, which increases heart attack risk.

Source

Here are the important excerpts I would like you to focus on:

Glucose causes fat cells to release leptin that makes you feel full so you eat less. Glucose prevents the stomach from releasing ghrelin that makes you hungry. On the other hand, fructose does not cause fat cells to release leptin and does not suppress ghrelin. This means that fructose increases hunger to make you eat more.

Food is just food...some of it is bad...some of it is good.  But how much of it you eat depends on how you gain or lose weight.  High Fructose Corn Syrup is found in practically everything...Cokes, Peanut Butter, Pancake Syrup (Practically 100% HFCS)

Instead of making you feel full...HFCS makes you feel hungry, the more you consume, the more you want to consume and the more you therefore continue to consume.

Fast Food is just food that is served fast.  French Fries are potatoes.  Hamburgers are bread and meat.  They aren't prepared in the healthiest of fashions but in and of itself it is an okay meal.  During this debate I have repeated over and over that weight gain occurs when you take in more calories than your body can burn.  That caloric energy is stored in the body as fat.  Fast Food is only one source of high caloric foods.  The supermarkets are filled with them as well.  When it comes right down to it, the blame for obesity must be placed on the individuals themselves.  The right to choose is the American way.  The choices we make are not dictated to us by the fast food industry.  Slick advertizing is not an excuse for poor personal choices.  Thanks for listening.
And thank you UniversalMind for a great debate.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#17    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:20 AM

UniversalMind, Your conclusion please.  thumbsup.gif  .

#18    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:20 AM

UniversalMind the two-week time limit for you to post has been and gone. This would generally result in an instant disqualification but as no one has seen you on UM I am going to believe that you are just unable to acces the Interent.

You will have an additional 72 hours but if you do not post within that time I will be forced to disqualify you.

Please PM myself or Lottie with any problems you have.

#19    UniversalMind

UniversalMind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Sorry, you were correct

Edited by UniversalMind, 19 December 2005 - 04:13 PM.

#20    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:46 PM

UniversalMind has informed myself that he has had no internet or computer contact of late which resulted in his inability to post.
He will be posting as soon as possible.

#21    UniversalMind

UniversalMind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

CONCLUSION:

Unethical masterminds atop corporate towers sit in comfort as they produce a good that ails the health and well-being of the world: fast-food.  As their bank accounts grow plump so does the American waist line.  Being bright and competent, those corporate leaders must understand the ways in which Americans are addicted and all too fond of the good they serve.  McDonald's namely is a marketing master that teaches other fast food producers the method necessary to entangle the American mind in a cycle of fast food consumption and eventually over consumption.  Should American eradicate its fast food industry, the United States would see an across the board reduction of weight and increase in the general health and well-being of the average American.  We as a nation must become disenchanted with the fast food industry and take the proper steps to remove this health burden from within our borders.

#22    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Thank-you to both our participants for debating so well.

I will now hand this debate over to our brilliant judges!

#23    Mr. Fahrenheit

Mr. Fahrenheit

Catcher in the Pumpernickel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Location:Far above our heads, on the icy heights that contain all reason

• All your flesh are belong to zombie
    ~ Burnside

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

This will be my first judging since I've come back. Fantastic debate, you guys. Really fun to read.

Debator One: Joc
Relevancy:8
Countering:7
Style:8
Persuasiveness:7
Total:30

Debator Two: UniversalMind
Relevancy:8
Countering:7
Style:9
Persuasiveness:10
Total:34

Great Job, both of you.

Posted Image

~  Check out The Fray  ~

Proud Animator of the Animated Avatar Workshop

#24    Megalomania

Megalomania

Poltergeist

• 2,939 posts

• *wonders what happens if you cook Mamee Noodles*

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

Hidey ho, I haven't judged a debate in a while. It was a good debate, nice work to both of you.

Debator 1: Joc
Relevancy: 9
Countering: 9
Style: 8
Persuasiveness: 10
Total: 36

Debator 2: UniversalMind
Relevancy: 8
Countering: 10
Persuasiveness: 7
Total: 33

Posted Image

Read my story, Mindless Indulgence
Also read Replaceable

#25    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,935 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

Well done, both of you presented a good case. I will have to have a McCarrot burger for lunch.

Debator 1: Joc
Persuasiveness: 8
Total: 34

Debator 2: UniversalMind
Style: 9
Persuasiveness: 8
Total: 35

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#26    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

Thank-you to our wonderful debate judges and debate participants for such an entertaining debate.

Joc finishes this debate with a final score of 33.33.
UniversalMind wins this debate with a final score of 34.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users