Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do movies influence UFO sightings ?

Hollywood movies involving UFOs and aliens could have a direct effect on the number of real-life reports.

Roland Emmerich’s alien-invasion spectacular ‘Independence Day’ was 1996’s summer blockbuster and it sent the world extraterrestrial mad. “Newspapers even began running UFO campaigns,” says David, “and the figures leapt from 117 sightings in 1995 to 609 in 1996”

arrow3.gifRead more...

I'm sure they do but there have been sightings before movies about space invaders became popular. Then again the more people you have the more reports there will be.

I really truely think the movies do influence people minds. Look what Wells War of the Worlds did and it was a radio show.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that after I saw the 3-D iMax version of Prometheus last June I went home that night and had dreams about space. I've always wanted to have dreams about living in space and I believe it was the overwhelming iMax and 3D experience that triggered it. So based on that movie having enough effect on my mind to dream space I would guess that movies have enough effect on peoples wishes and imaginations while they are awake to mistake lights in the sky or outright hallucinate UFO's.

• Like 1

Wasn't Roswell a couple of weeks after Kenneth Arnold - i think it was - spotted the UFO's and the whole of America where looking to the skies looking for strange things.

I think that's when the term Flying Saucers was coined.

Movies in general have a way of embedding thoughts in your head.

Just like horror films. Go out and watch a family get slaughtered, come home, check every nook and cranny, barricade all entrances and sleep with the lights on.

But it's not the same for everyone. Some people are more open minded to the thought of the things they see on screen actually being a realistic possibility.

And of course there are always going to be the close minded people, who will break down every little detail.

I'm sure they do but there have been sightings before movies about space invaders became popular. Then again the more people you have the more reports there will be.

How do they make more people?

How do they make more people?

Is a birds and the bees discussion in order here? :P

• Like 1

(Alien Abduction: The Birth Of Sci Fi)

I wish I could find the rest of this show. I found it about 4 years ago and still haven't seen it anywhere.

the last 30 secs of your vid sums it up rather nicely... (reposting your vid as a click-able)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZaptQi1tY8

• Like 1

I remember when Close Encounters of the First Kind came out. The UFO craze was astounding. This just so coincides with the Roswell story being dug up. Nearly every 'real story' I have read on here was 'reborn' around this time. Odd that with all the modern technology we have at our disposal there is no real evidence available. (6 BILLION cell phone subscriptions, many with multi-mega pixel cameras for example).

• Like 2

I remember when Close Encounters of the First Kind came out. The UFO craze was astounding. This just so coincides with the Roswell story being dug up. Nearly every 'real story' I have read on here was 'reborn' around this time. Odd that with all the modern technology we have at our disposal there is no real evidence available. (6 BILLION cell phone subscriptions, many with multi-mega pixel cameras for example).

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

So why will early reports say these craft interiors had levers? We fly war drones now just from game console type handsets, with users thousands of miles away!! BUT that was all folk could comprehend in the world at that time - levers! So thats what they reported! But levers in advanced UFO's? Get outta here!

Id expect any report to have said "incredible devices" were in use, "unspeakable", "indescribable", "unknowable tech"... ha, but nah....they had levers. So yes by that alone I think it fair to say people dream up their abductions based on whats been seen in tv/media, versus what they can comprehend a craft should be like

• Like 2

The Sad Part Is, That Movies(Including television)Influence Much More In Our Modern Day Culture Than They Should. Too Much Emphasis Is Placed On "Star Watching", And Trying To Emulate Them(T.V. And Movie Stars).

• Like 1

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

So why will early reports say these craft interiors had levers? We fly war drones now just from game console type handsets, with users thousands of miles away!! BUT that was all folk could comprehend in the world at that time - levers! So thats what they reported! But levers in advanced UFO's? Get outta here!

Id expect any report to have said "incredible devices" were in use, "unspeakable", "indescribable", "unknowable tech"... ha, but nah....they had levers. So yes by that alone I think it fair to say people dream up their abductions based on whats been seen in tv/media, versus what they can comprehend a craft should be like

There is that, even dials similar to pressure gauges! Hell even the shuttles went to all glass cockpits (got to sit in one whilst it was being converted, big mess but it gave you an idea of what privacy the astronauts DIDN'T have!). Also the aliens themselves have changed over time. I suppose those that believe will say we were being visited by different races but seeing, once again, there is zero real evidence to support even ONE species checking in on us that is even more ludicrous. It is my understanding that it is primarily an American thing as well. While we may believe ourselves special, that too is madness.

Life in the universe = almost certainly

Intelligent life = probably but who knows where and how common?

Intelligent life coming here to zip around, probe and use their 'blurry camera ray' = a close to nil as possible.

• Like 2

So why will early reports say these craft interiors had levers?

Could it possibly be on purpose? Aliens supposedly use screen memories, maybe they also plant these familiar images, so as to alleviate fears or to comfort an abductee. Could be the same reason abductees (used to) claim the aliens said they were from Mars or Saturn. Maybe they are just told what they'd understand at that point in time.

Edited by Sweetpumper

There is that, even dials similar to pressure gauges! Hell even the shuttles went to all glass cockpits (got to sit in one whilst it was being converted, big mess but it gave you an idea of what privacy the astronauts DIDN'T have!). Also the aliens themselves have changed over time. I suppose those that believe will say we were being visited by different races but seeing, once again, there is zero real evidence to support even ONE species checking in on us that is even more ludicrous. It is my understanding that it is primarily an American thing as well. While we may believe ourselves special, that too is madness.

Life in the universe = almost certainly

Intelligent life = probably but who knows where and how common?

Intelligent life coming here to zip around, probe and use their 'blurry camera ray' = a close to nil as possible.

Agreed! :tu: I almost forgot the funniest one...antennae on aliens heads/helmets. :w00t: Again some reports say that! Antennae were essential items for radios, TV's and walkie talkies etc etc, right from the 50's up till about 15-20 years ago. Heck even my first mobile had a pull out antenna!! But now NO mobile has one, visible anyway, again our tech has moved from simple radio waves to digital transmissions. Now in the UK you cannot pick up any TV with the typical aerial, you need a digital encoder or cable TV services....but advanced aliens?

Nah....they hadn't even got past the antenna stage.... oh dear!

Could it possibly be on purpose? Aliens supposedly use screen memories, maybe they also plant these familiar images, so as to alleviate fears or to comfort an abductee. Could be the same reason abductees (used to) claim the aliens said they were from Mars or Saturn. Maybe they are just told what they'd understand at that point in time.

Well lets think of another thing. Now, Im quite physical, (ex amateur boxer), and very assertive, when I choose to be that is. Now personally, if I woke up onboard a craft being prodded by aliens of any description, I would FREAK out. BIG TIME! I know we all have romantic fantasies about benevolent aliens being kind etc etc...but hey, anything inhuman pinning me down is going to get a few combinations chucked their way, assuming I could and wasnt immobilized.

BUT then....once back on earth, I would not, would NOT just go to see a hypnotherapist....NO - Id be bangin on the doors of parliament wanting to be heard, Id be screaming out my abduction experience far and wide impressing on people that THEY are real etc, I would tirelessly campaign to be heard and taken seriously....ringing the TV, the Press, tweeting, anything and everything to show mankingd it was really real....after all - the implications are MASSIVE.....

but far too many abductee's just kind of slink into the background...and OK they can say they don't want the attention, yeh thats always a good cover...

But....If it happened to you...would you keep quiet? Could you even?

But....If it happened to you...would you keep quiet? Could you even?

Well, first off, a lot of abuductees say they've tried to fight back but it's impossible no matter how physical they were.

Some abductees are very vocal. You've seen what happens here in the forums. Mostly ridicule with very little questioning (I know a lot of stories people put up here are BS). Same thing happens in real life also. You or I wouldn't be an exception, we'd be bombarded with ridicule and the butt of jokes on late night talk shows. I think that's why people slink into the background. Would you even be able to get a job after going public with a story like that? Family shun you? Friends? I think that's why a lot slink into the background.

I don't know what I would do. It would be terrifying, friendly or not.

• Like 1

Well, first off, a lot of abuductees say they've tried to fight back but it's impossible no matter how physical they were.

Some abductees are very vocal. You've seen what happens here in the forums. Mostly ridicule with very little questioning (I know a lot of stories people put up here are BS). Same thing happens in real life also. You or I wouldn't be an exception, we'd be bombarded with ridicule and the butt of jokes on late night talk shows. I think that's why people slink into the background. Would you even be able to get a job after going public with a story like that? Family shun you? Friends? I think that's why a lot slink into the background.

I don't know what I would do. It would be terrifying, friendly or not.

Of course I am not talking from experience but it just defies logic that there would be absolutely no way to get some sort of irrefutable evidence if you were conscience at all. If the case is that it is impossible then for all intensive purposes it is pointless to worry about it (assuming it happens at all) since they are obviously omnipotent.

Of course I am not talking from experience but it just defies logic that there would be absolutely no way to get some sort of irrefutable evidence if you were conscience at all. If the case is that it is impossible then for all intensive purposes it is pointless to worry about it (assuming it happens at all) since they are obviously omnipotent.

A lot of stuff surrounding aliens defies logic. Another reason some slink into the background, it's futile.

1st of all that movie was great:) and most importantly it does raise peoples awareness but it does not mean and please listen carefully DOES NOT MEAN THAT BECAUSE PEOPLE WATCH UFO movies or read about them that its all in peoples head or wild imagination.i say this because i know some non believers and skeptics will use this as excuse or reason!!!other than that UFO are a real event people just cause you skeptics or non believers don't believe does not make it less real or not real.so with that said stop using the same reasons and excuses such as swamp gas,weather balloons and etc you guys sound like a broken record or a the same song playing over and over and over!!!finally i would like to say skeptics especially eat my dust and stay out of the way of serious research go and take your close minded beliefs and brain/consciousness to planet close minded people booom!!!!!!!!

and another thing about hollywood UFO movies and etc is that they make it seem always bad or like all E.Ts and etc are evil or here to invade the earth and they over exagerate by a lot.you guys want real research and info on the supernatural and paranormal and UFOs people read actual books

i would like to say skeptics especially eat my dust and stay out of the way of serious research go and take your close minded beliefs and brain/consciousness to planet close minded people booom!!!!!!!!

Im a skeptic, but only because there is no proof and despite....ALL the serious research that HAS been done... there still isnt any evidence. Go figure! But Ive seen about 4 UFO's for real... as in - they were not identifiable. I know what Ive seen. But I cant prove it.. so I always wonder... but seeing something odd isnt proof of anything.

BUT...ufo/strange lights are seemingly common, and DESPITE ALL THE SERIOUS RESEARCH... we still dont know. Take Hesdalen for a prime and best example... a valley, where strange ufo/lights are seen regularly, even to this day. Many images and movies were taken of them, and as said, it was seriously researched... but still we dont know any more..

check it out

http://www.hessdalen.org/index_e.shtml

Find the link for pics on the left AFTER you read the story on the homepage

Define "real evidence".

Apparently a picture posted to the internet from a camera that has multi-mega pixel capabilities would be real evidence. Right?