Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How "Ancient Aliens" have lied to you

Harte

Chris White and Michael Heiser took a few moments to squash Giorgio & Co. Actually, a pretty good thuumping of the Greek Melon (head.)

It's at this site.

It's a three hour vid if you watch the whole thing. White has broken it into pieces concerning the various claims, and includes some text on each page with the shorter clips.

A sampling from the textual section concerning PumaPunku:

AA: “Of course [Pumapunku was] made out of stones found on Earth, because you don’t transport granite or diorite from another solar system.”

Von Daniken continues building up this false dilemma:

AA: “One of these platforms is 800 tons.”

That is very incorrect, the heaviest block at Pumapunku is 130 tons[4], and most of the stones are much smaller than that. So he is off by a whopping 670 tons! Unfortunately we will come to expect this kind of thing from Von Daniken as we progress.

Ancient Aliens spends quite a lot of time pointing out the various features in the stone masonry at Pumapunku before declaring it impossible to do without power tools.

AA: “Each of these small drills holes are basically evenly spaced along this routed groove. To me it’s clear that power tools have been used on this unusual block of stone here.”

AA: “This surface is as smooth as a table top, like in your kitchen. There’s no wave to it. This was machined.”

The sandstone and andesite stones at Pumapunku would have been easily worked with the most basic stone working tools[5][6], the idea that diamond tipped power saws were needed is ridiculous. The red sandstone was relatively soft and easy to work with, and even though andesite is pretty hard, because of the way it cooled it could be easily flaked off using stones as soft as 5.5 on the Mohs scale.[7] Such pounding stones were found all over andesite quarries in the area.[8]

Believers have no choice but to concede or stamp their feet and cry 'No Fair!" :cry:

These are the various sections available for viewing individually:

Harte

• Like 7

We've had this discussion before, and each time the AA believers come in and manage to avoid facts like they were zombies and the rest of us ending up having conversations with walls because the walls were more sensible.

• Like 2

It does distress me a bit how some 'modern' humans believe how ignorant and backward our 'not so remote' anscestors were.

Thanks for the link Harte, I'll check it out.

• Like 2

I watched the whole thing a few days ago. It's really good (except that the narrator keeps saying "nuculer" instead of "nuclear").

We've had this discussion before, and each time the AA believers come in and manage to avoid facts like they were zombies and the rest of us ending up having conversations with walls because the walls were more sensible.

Don't I know it! LOL

But this time, hat wearer, there's video.

You know the believers must believe it, if it's on video! :w00t:

Harte

• Like 3

no suprises here. anything seen on TV is suspect to begin with. :tu:

the problem was in the shows title.. untill there's proof of aliens PERIOD, suggesting there were 'ancient' aliens was just twice as stupid.

good work, harte, ..now all you have to do is explain how and why they were built [by human hands] in the first place.

we're getting closer and closer to an inconvenient truth here.

I'll actually have to watch this, seems really interesting. Ancient Aliens has always rubbed me the wrong way even though I've never watched it more then a few times. It's just a bunch of badly strung together ideas based on bad interpretations of evidence, it's mere pandering to it's audience. 'We totally believe what you believe, it's okay to believe this so let's make shizz up to make it actually be believable'. Now this, actual proof they've lied many, many times. Brilliant. Liars always get me in a huff.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 4

I hate that show so very very much. According to them, everything is because of aliens.

My favorite line is from an episode that was on the other day. Something to the effect of "We have all these stone tools, and then suddenly swords made of iron." Because that's exactly what happened. :no:

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 6

thank god for the guy's who put this doco together

logically, the premise that the earth may have been visited at some time in the past is possible, imo

if so i doubt we'd ever find any physical evidence of such on Earth

thanks harte, excellent

Edited by blackdogsun

thank god for the guy's who put this doco together

logically, the premise that the earth may have been visited at some time in the past is possible, imo

if so i doubt we'd ever find any physical evidence of such on Earth

thanks harte, excellent

Um, I think that you might have missed the intent of the opening post.

I watched some of it, shockin if its true, Im gunna finished it when i got time, still dont know much about it but glad its here for quick reference

AA never lies to you because they always claim What if. So you got to remember that these are all just Theories. Until Proven Otherwise

• Like 1

AA never lies to you because they always claim What if. So you got to remember that these are all just Theories. Until Proven Otherwise

let's keep this in perspective..

this "disclaimer" you mention... a bit like the one in an infomercial that says "results may vary"

...meanwhile, get your effin' credit card out folks and buy the effin' product..

they can't have this both ways.. if the show were billed as fiction it'd be running on nick at night..

let me ask, was there ever an AA coffee mug, T-shirt or hat available for purchase?

[edit]

the whole point of something like AA, something like anything you see on the TV... is to drag you away from the competition; "God"

Edited by unit

I use AA to go to sleep at night. I plug in my tablet, got to netflix or youtube, type in AA, and pass right out...

No they're not. More like an intellectually stunted persons hypothesis. Actual theories can and are supported by verifiable evidence. "What if" isn't evidence of anything other than an overactive imagination.

cormac

• Like 2

We all know that with such programmes the watchword is caveat emptor, and keep your CC in your wallet.

My main objection to AA is that they seriously disparage our ancestors intelligence and abilities. What they acheived, particulary with Great Pyramid, should fill us with pride and awe at their acheivements, and to most I think it does. But to say it could only happen because of alien help is insulting. Certainly the universe is teeming with life, and some much more advanced than us, it's just that we haven't met yet, if ever.

my main problem with AA is that Georgio's hair disparages the Centaui from Babylon 5.

• Like 2

Yeah, and I can say 'What if the Internet had been created by the Fraggles'. See? 'Theory', until proven otherwise. ;D

• Like 1

A very good site,and film.To be recommended if you have 3 hours to spare,it completely destroys the theories and claims by the ancient alien fringe.

• Like 1

I used AA to quit drinking....oh wait...thats something else, isnt it?

• Like 3

Bravo, Harte, on a valuable find. You can be sure I added the link to my Favorites.

Anything that will help us or anyone else to dispel the uninformed twaddle on that idiotic television program, is something to keep and share.

I wonder if the producers of Ancient Aliens would have the balls to invite White and Heiser onto the program? Better yet: a debate between them and von Däniken and the other dimwitted talking heads on the program. It might be pretty embarrassing, however. I mean, who wants to see von Däniken curled up on the floor in the fetal position, shaking and crying like a baby?

Well, okay, I do.

• Like 1

I don't believe it is possible to debunk aliens with tripe like this;

"However, as all of this relates to the great pyramid’s construction, it’s important to remember that almost none of the pyramid is made from granite – except for a few things such as the roof supports for the king’s chamber. Most of the stones used were sandstone and limestone. About 85% of the stone used in the construction of the pyramids was relatively soft sandstone which was quarried right on site.[20]"

At least the concept that aliens were involved doesn't contradict facts.

I don't believe it is possible to debunk aliens with tripe like this;

"However, as all of this relates to the great pyramid’s construction, it’s important to remember that almost none of the pyramid is made from granite – except for a few things such as the roof supports for the king’s chamber. Most of the stones used were sandstone and limestone. About 85% of the stone used in the construction of the pyramids was relatively soft sandstone which was quarried right on site.[20]"

At least the concept that aliens were involved doesn't contradict facts.

The concept that aliens were involved doesn't even bear consideration. Not for educated people, anyway. A misidentification of the stones used in the pyramid is far less embarrassing than suggesting aliens were involved.

But you found an obvious mistake. Heiser is not an Egyptologist and I rather doubt he is all that well versed in ancient Egyptian history, including the Great Pyramid, but the overall statement is true that the Great Pyramid is composed almost completely of soft, malleable stone. To be fair, however, were some poster here to say the same thing, I likely would jump on him.

I noted the citation Heiser used: Bob Brier, Jean-pierre Houdin. The Secret of the Great Pyramid: How One Man’s Obsession Led to the Solution of Ancient Egypt’s Greatest Mystery. Smithsonian, 2008. I don't own this book nor have I read it, but Houdin for certain is not an expert in ancient Egypt, and Brier's own expertise lies in pharaonic death and burial, as well as paleopathology. So if the error appeared in Houdin's book, it is understandable but embarrassing.

The overall approach is dead-on, however. Anyone familiar with the studies of ancient civilizations and who has also submitted himself to the painful experience of watching Ancient Aliens, knows how inept this TV program is. This program is, in fact, the greatest embarrassment.

I very seriously doubt Houdin would make such an error and it's highly improbable

Brier might. Houdin is very competent and intelligent and wouldn't make such an

involved misstatement of facts.

It's very easy to tear things down but far more difficult to build something. De-

spite this obvious truism at least one attempt to dismantle G1 failed.

If man can't even tear it down maybe it really did require aliens to build it.

If it's really embarrassing to believe in aliens it's only because there is so very

little evidence to support it, not because the idea is so absurd.