Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Was Jesus a Buddhist monk?


  • Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#76    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

About the "proof" of Jesus being in India and studying Budhism coming from the book of Nikolai Novotich. I have read this book, and Isis Unveiled by Helena Blavatsky, that he is influenced by. Novotich is clearly telling a tall story, much easier in those days than now. This is not to say he was not in Tibet and that geneal area at the time, just that his story about Jesus is nonsense. This is best, though slowly, proved by reading these books yourselves. Isis Unveiled is in print in various languages. Novotich's book is available online as a Word document, 465 Kb, though only in Russian. I give the direct ftp link to those interested.

http://www.myshambha...usa_Christa.doc

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 14 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.


#77    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 14 October 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

It is the only Drowning of Dwarka that I know about...

Influenced the Hebrews? Sure, but then anyone could have done so, the Chinese, the pro-Europeans, North Africans, Persians, Greeks. Picking one is about as likely as another.

Even with a little study it is easy to learn that the Gnostic ideas of Jesus and God, came out of Greece. After Christian disciples started going there to spread the Good News. There is no history of gnostic style thought in the Hebrew history/religion, and tons of history of gnostic thought in Greece, so that part is very clear. So what you should be asking is if the Greeks were influenced by Hinduism.
Lot of Evidence for Gnostic thoughts in India predating Greece.Greeks being influenced by Hinduism/vedic concepts is a subject of debate at present,there is lot to show that Greeks were influenced by India but the conventional Historians still maintain post Alexander position.Wasn't talking about influence in Hebrew was talking about Jews migrating from India.But like all migration theories being unreliable it is better to be politically correct and just focus on similarities in my opinion.


#78    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 14 October 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

About the "proof" of Jesus being in India and studying Budhism coming from the book of Nikolai Novotich. I have read this book, and Isis Unveiled by Helena Blavatsky, that he is influenced by. Novotich is clearly telling a tall story, much easier in those days than now. This is not to say he was not in Tibet and that geneal area at the time, just that his story about Jesus is nonsense. This is best, though slowly, proved by reading these books yourselves. Isis Unveiled is in print in various languages. Novotich's book is available online as a Word document, 465 Kb, though only in Russian. I give the direct ftp link to those interested.

http://www.myshambha...usa_Christa.doc
If you call him a liar you are doing it on shallow grounds.You might not have liked his writing style.


#79    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you call him a liar you are doing it on shallow grounds.You might not have liked his writing style.
He most certainly was a liar. There is informaton about his life that seems not to be available in English. He founded a publishing house and was editor of six periodicals and newspapers. He was essentially simply a journalist/businessman, and certainly knew how to make money. If required I can supply a list of his business ventures, mostly in St Petersburg.


#80    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here is the relevant section of Novotich's book that deals with Issa/Jesus, going to India. It is Chapter 4 paragraph 12. First in original Russian so my translation can be verified.

"Но Исса тайно оставил родительский кров, ушел из Иерусалима и вместе с купцами отправился к Инду"

"But Jesus secretly left his parents home and, with merchants, left Jerusalem for India."

This is all he writes about this matter, nothing to back up this claim, which he writes in a quasi biblical manner. The next two chapters are full of mundane nonsense about receiving the wisdom of Buddha and improving his ability to give sermons. Any reasonably intelligent child could have made this up. He writes in such a manner as if he were copying parts of the bible and simply changing some place names to give it an Indian "Feel". He has long been regarded as a hoaxer in Russia, yet gullible minds have been seduced by his words translated into foreign languages. And it is in the foreign editions that he made money, for sensible Russians saw his trick and ignored this nonsense.

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 19 October 2012 - 03:53 PM.


#81    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Joined:15 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yharnam

  • The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't know if Jesus was a full blown Buddhist monk but I see obvious similarities between how Jesus taught and the way a Buddhist priest or zen master teaches, both in the style and the specific things that are said. Put that together with the story of the three wise men, which is reminiscent of how Buddhist priests go searching for the next Dali Lama when the last one dies, and with the "lost" years of Jesus in the Bible, and I think it's an intriguing possibility to say the least. I saw the BBC documentary that someone else posted and it has some interesting points as well, but there are others which discuss the same idea.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#82    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yes, what seems unusual about him is that what is written about him does not give him the typical "voice" of those times. He sounds "foreign". Likely we will never know about these "lost" years, unless some written evidence comes to light, something perhaps thought deliberately destroyed millenia ago...

Anyway, I prefer the theory that he was in Egypt during those years. Probably Alexandria, but perhaps he travelled about. Something about the Trinity leads me to prefer Egypt. I'm not Jewish, or know much about their book, so, do they have a Trinity?, is there a Trinity is Hinduism or any Eastern religion?

Also, my previous comments in this thread make it seem I dismiss any thought that Jesus was in India. This is not so, I simply say that Novotich's book is a hoax and should not be used as evidence.

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 19 October 2012 - 08:12 PM.


#83    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • 8,101 posts
  • Joined:08 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 19 October 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Yes, what seems unusual about him is that what is written about him does not give him the typical "voice" of those times. He sounds "foreign". Likely we will never know about these "lost" years, unless some written evidence comes to light, something perhaps thought deliberately destroyed millenia ago...

Anyway, I prefer the theory that he was in Egypt during those years. Probably Alexandria, but perhaps he travelled about. Something about the Trinity leads me to prefer Egypt. I'm not Jewish, or know much about their book, so, do they have a Trinity?, is there a Trinity is Hinduism or any Eastern religion?

Also, my previous comments in this thread make it seem I dismiss any thought that Jesus was in India. This is not so, I simply say that Novotich's book is a hoax and should not be used as evidence.

For my own part, I do dismiss any thought that Jesus was in India. The idea has been bandied about for some years and frankly smacks more of Hindu nationalism than historical reality. The fact is, if you take a close look at many of the philosophical schools and religions of that time, you're bound to find superficial similarities. This does not imply real-world connections.

Jesus was a fairly typical Jewish man for his time. In saying this, I emphasize that the form of Judaism embraced and fostered by the Temple cult was not necessarily the only form of Judaism that existed. The fact is, in Jesus' time there were numerous different sects, and their views could be quite divergent. Unrelated to Jesus are the Dead Sea Scrolls, but in studying them you will see the sect that produced them were quite different in philosophy from the Temple cult. In Jesus' time many people of the Holy Land fervently believed the Temple priests and administrators were thoroughly corrupt (the reason the Essenes branched off, for example), so many Jews were looking for a way to form a meaningful and devout relationship with Yahweh that did not necessarily involve the Temple.

There is scant evidence to tell us where Jesus was in the "lost years." Egypt? Yes, perhaps. It's plausible, in the least, but in the thriving Jewish population of Alexandria, one would think someone living there would've left at least a brief mention of Jesus having been there. Some who reside out there in the world of the fringe have professed that Jesus was actually in the Americas at this time, but I think anyone with a reasonable mind can dismiss that. As more likely as India would be than the Americas, I see no evidence to substantiate that claim, either.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#84    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

    Unknown title error

  • Member
  • 3,208 posts
  • Joined:19 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

  • Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you call him a liar you are doing it on shallow grounds.You might not have liked his writing style.
He's a lier because he never went to the temple in which he claims Issa was written in the "guestbook". I don't have a ton of time to pull up the links to the research but I have looked into this being a Buddhist by philosophy this idea intrigued me immensely until I realized it was a sham.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch, 20 October 2012 - 06:03 AM.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#85    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 19 October 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

He most certainly was a liar. There is informaton about his life that seems not to be available in English. He founded a publishing house and was editor of six periodicals and newspapers. He was essentially simply a journalist/businessman, and certainly knew how to make money. If required I can supply a list of his business ventures, mostly in St Petersburg.
None of what you said qualifies him as a Lair?You are being to pressumptious in my opinion.


#86    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 20 October 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

He's a lier because he never went to the temple in which he claims Issa was written in the "guestbook". I don't have a ton of time to pull up the links to the research but I have looked into this being a Buddhist by philosophy this idea intrigued me immensely until I realized it was a sham.
You don't need to research the claims of one individual to establish the connections,just compare the teaching of christ as asserted by the new testament to the teaching of Yahweh in the old testament and to the teaching of Buddhism and Vedic hinduism(especially Nirguna Brhman) and you will be able to see a connection.
Marcenious did have a point that the God of the new testament is different from the God potrayed in the old testament.

"Kingdom of God is within you"-Chritianity (and hence God is within you?)
"God is manifest in all of us"-Hinduism


#87    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 20 October 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

None of what you said qualifies him as a Lair?You are being to pressumptious in my opinion.

That you have read him in Russian?


#88    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 20 October 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

That you have read him in Russian?
No i haven't hence i am relying on you to show me how he was a liar.You surely have read him in Russian i suppose.


#89    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 20 October 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

No i haven't hence i am relying on you to show me how he was a liar.You surely have read him in Russian i suppose.
Of course. I have provided a link to his book in Russian, and am sure the google translator can be used on this, though it never properly translates the correct sense of what is written. I have translated one of the paragraphs into proper English. He simply tells a tall story, it is obvious in the way it is written that this is so. As he does not provide facts that can be verified, to prove he is a liar will be like trying to prove that Anna Karenina is fiction long after all who lived at that time are dead and all written records have long dissapeared. Who in 2 000 years can disprove that a person named Anna Karenina existed? it will be impossible. It is a matter of common sense and the sense in which his story reads in Russian. And no, I will not translate the entire story, I have a life...


#90    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 20 October 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

For my own part, I do dismiss any thought that Jesus was in India. The idea has been bandied about for some years and frankly smacks more of Hindu nationalism than historical reality. The fact is, if you take a close look at many of the philosophical schools and religions of that time, you're bound to find superficial similarities. This does not imply real-world connections.

Jesus was a fairly typical Jewish man for his time. In saying this, I emphasize that the form of Judaism embraced and fostered by the Temple cult was not necessarily the only form of Judaism that existed. The fact is, in Jesus' time there were numerous different sects, and their views could be quite divergent. Unrelated to Jesus are the Dead Sea Scrolls, but in studying them you will see the sect that produced them were quite different in philosophy from the Temple cult. In Jesus' time many people of the Holy Land fervently believed the Temple priests and administrators were thoroughly corrupt (the reason the Essenes branched off, for example), so many Jews were looking for a way to form a meaningful and devout relationship with Yahweh that did not necessarily involve the Temple.

There is scant evidence to tell us where Jesus was in the "lost years." Egypt? Yes, perhaps. It's plausible, in the least, but in the thriving Jewish population of Alexandria, one would think someone living there would've left at least a brief mention of Jesus having been there. Some who reside out there in the world of the fringe have professed that Jesus was actually in the Americas at this time, but I think anyone with a reasonable mind can dismiss that. As more likely as India would be than the Americas, I see no evidence to substantiate that claim, either.
We don't even know beyond a doubt whether Historical Jesus existed.It is not the Hindu Nationalists who suggested that Jesus wen't to India.People are even saying that saint Thomas visited India.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users