Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 11 votes

Best evidence for ET visitation - 3rd edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6153 replies to this topic

#6091    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostHazzard, on 23 November 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

JPL said the findings will be revealed Dec. 3 at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco.
I don't see it listed yet, but usually such events are carried live here:
http://www.nasa.gov/...satv/index.html

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#6092    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

http://www.wired.com...-news-organics/

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#6093    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,762 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

It's a photo of a two metre tall blue box, with a man dressed like a Victorian explorer (including Pith Helmet) sitting in a canvas chair sipping a mint julep outside it.

#6094    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,174 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

We need a Betting Line in here !  Who thinks the news will be just a bit over baked ?
1. Organic matter,proof of Life.
2. compounds that show a high possibility of life like goodies.
3.An old wrapper from a Mars candy bar.
4.A message in a bottle.
5. none of the above. :alien: :no:

This is a Work in Progress!

#6095    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Im in, Big D,... :) Im guessing its that final proof of ET  life – past or present.

To me, either would have astounding implications.

Cheers people on Earth - We are not the only place in town.

Posted Image

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#6096    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,174 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostHazzard, on 24 November 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

Im in, Big D,... :) Im guessing its that final proof of ET  life – past or present.

To me, either would have astounding implications.

Cheers people on Earth - We are not the only place in town.

Posted Image

We shall tip a toast till the wee hours of the night that day Hazzard ! You me and about three Billion peeps on this Rock !

#6097    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,547 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

"It won't be earthshaking but it will be interesting," Webster told Time. "As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books."

http://www.techradar...ter-all-1115437

#6098    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,491 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Ahem...

Sorry...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#6099    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,193 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 28 November 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Ahem...

Sorry...

Well that's a bit disappointing...

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#6100    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 28 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

I expect both the initial report dramatizing the excitement of the data, and these recent reports downplaying it, will be found to be somewhat more polarized than the true reality.
Looking forward to the formal presentation, which I am confident will be somewhere in the gray zone between the two.
Confirmation of some organics molecules would be exciting enough.
Perhaps molecules commonly found in diatom fossils would be more exciting.  Not necessarily confirming they are there, but more of a maybe they are if there are several molecules discovered.
Regardless of the data, it is a staggering technological achievement to have delivered such a complex vehicle like Curiosity to Mars.
Too bad there wasn't a couple of humans up there driving it...maybe someday.
I'm hopeful that Curiosity will discover something that will provide political motivation to back a manned mission in the near future.
The technology is doable...just need some cash (a lot) :yes:

edited for spelling and grammar

Edited by synchronomy, 28 November 2012 - 05:34 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#6101    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,280 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 28 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Agreed! Oh well.

Chrlzs, thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#6102    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,193 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 28 November 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Agreed! Oh well.

Chrlzs, thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Badeskov

Hey badeskov, good to see you posting again. :tu:

I usually try not to get too excited about scientific announcements until the 'veil is pulled back' yet I have to admit that I had my fingers crossed on this one. ^_^

That's not to downplay Curiosities exemplary efforts thus far, it is still fascinating stuff and I'm pleased as punch that we have another rover up there digging through the Martian soil. There is still time for the discovery of alien life on Mars. If there was life on Mars and there is still evidence to be found, we'll find it eventually. :tu:

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#6103    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

In a way I'm hoping that there is no sign of life discovered on Mars, except maybe fossilized long-since-extinct remains.  If it is completely dead it opens the possibility for colonization.  If there is life there, even microbial, colonization questions get hampered by possible morality issues.  I'd rather have us find life on a place like Europa, where we would have very little genuine interest of colonization in the first place.

At any rate, any new news from the Mars front is welcome as it means we're learning things that we didn't previously know; and that is always a good thing.  :tu:

Thanks for the link Chrlzs :)

#6104    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,193 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 29 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

In a way I'm hoping that there is no sign of life discovered on Mars, except maybe fossilized long-since-extinct remains.  If it is completely dead it opens the possibility for colonization.  If there is life there, even microbial, colonization questions get hampered by possible morality issues.  I'd rather have us find life on a place like Europa, where we would have very little genuine interest of colonization in the first place.

At any rate, any new news from the Mars front is welcome as it means we're learning things that we didn't previously know; and that is always a good thing.  :tu:

Thanks for the link Chrlzs :)

I think the morality issue would depend on the density of the microbial life in question. If there were a dense 'population' of microbial life and it wasn't harmful to us I don't think anyone would have a problem with sharing space, so to speak. Humans have historically intruded more for less gain.

On a satirical note, if we somehow bequeath Martian microbes with 'rights', how long would it be before we had to fill out an application to the government before we could sterilize our own bathrooms? :lol:  Kidding of course... :P

#6105    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,174 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

What a few amino acids in the test pot anyway ?
Its everything I say ! :tsu: