Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged]Curiosity Targets Unusual Rock

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover nasa

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostJGirl, on 22 September 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

i have far more interesting and unusual rocks in my collection.
How many of yours are from the surface of Mars? The fact that this is an alien rock would, I suspect, trump anything you have in your collection in terms of "interesting".

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#32    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 23 September 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

How many of yours are from the surface of Mars? The fact that this is an alien rock would, I suspect, trump anything you have in your collection in terms of "interesting".
i think it's a given that this particular rock is from mars...that is not what they are intimating is what makes it unusual obviously.
if you notice my post was referring to it's visual attributes anyway sigh
and for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy. i have a lot of rocks lol

Edited by JGirl, 23 September 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#33    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Rocks smashes paper,paper wraps rocks,rocks lay around on Mars. I think thats how it goes? :tu: :alien: :no:

This is a Work in Progress!

#34    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostJGirl, on 23 September 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

i think it's a given that this particular rock is from mars...that is not what they are intimating is what makes it unusual obviously.
if you notice my post was referring to it's visual attributes anyway sigh
and for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy. i have a lot of rocks lol
You may not have noticed but Rhinopolis (the member who you replied to and quoted) was asking the opinion of geologists. Now I could be wrong but I highly suspect that someone that says this of the rocks in their own collection:

for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy.
is probably not a geologist.

I could also be wrong here, but I highly suspect that NASA is not categorising which rocks are interesting but how nice they will look on their shelf at home. I think it rather more likely that they ARE using the knowledge of highly qualified and highly experienced geologists to determine which rocks are an interesting shape.

Given the nature of both the question asked by Rhinopolis and the scientific importance of the potential discoveries to be made on Mars, your personal opinion of which rocks are interesting based on your personal aesthetic bias couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 23 September 2012 - 11:58 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#35    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 21 September 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

It's a shame to see so many jaded responses. I for one, remain in awe of the fact that Curiousity is beaming pictures from the surface of Mars.

And such beautiful ones too.  (of course, nothing compared to your own most bodacious beauty)  Many things that were the stuff of science fiction when I was a small young person have since become science fact and this is part of it.  I find it interesting that people who came up on Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Star Trek et al are creating these marvelous machines.  It will be interesting to see what today's children will create ... if I live long enough.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#36    Anathainil

Anathainil

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'm curious about this rock.  The left side is darker than the lighter facing side - is the darker area due to oxidation?  Has the rock broken off of a larger piece and exposed the lighter face?  Why is the darker left side marked with horizontal 'runnels', while the lighter face is marked with vertical features that rather resemble a melted residue.  I hope they post the spectra from this one!

#37    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 23 September 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

You may not have noticed but Rhinopolis (the member who you replied to and quoted) was asking the opinion of geologists. Now I could be wrong but I highly suspect that someone that says this of the rocks in their own collection:

is probably not a geologist.

I could also be wrong here, but I highly suspect that NASA is not categorising which rocks are interesting but how nice they will look on their shelf at home. I think it rather more likely that they ARE using the knowledge of highly qualified and highly experienced geologists to determine which rocks are an interesting shape.

Given the nature of both the question asked by Rhinopolis and the scientific importance of the potential discoveries to be made on Mars, your personal opinion of which rocks are interesting based on your personal aesthetic bias couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.
what's your problem anyway? i think you could lighten up a few shades there
i made a post with my opinion that i didn't find the rock all that VISUALLY unusual. (the part about the origin of my rocks was obviously a joke)
mypost in question was directed and someone other than yourself - you have no issue with me so again i ask, what's your problem?

edit to add:
hmm,
after re reading the article i realize nowhere in it does it say that nasa finds the rock particularly 'unusual'. you added that to the title yourself and that must be why you don't like that i disagree.
yes it's unusual because it's from another planet. we all get that. i don't need to be a geologist to see with my own eyes that there is nothing remarkable about it's appearance.

Edited by JGirl, 25 September 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#38    chimaybliss

chimaybliss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Did Mars once have intelligent life living on it? And if so, are there any artificial structures still remaining on the Red Planet that proves this? Amazingly, some images that are coming back from the Curiousity Rover are pointing in that direction. Recent pictures are showing what appears to be a pyramid shaped building in the distance that might be partially buried in sand.

Read more and see the pics: http://nutshellurl.c...uriosityAnomaly

#39    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,665 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Shadows and light make for lovely combinations don't they.  Pyramid?  I would have to see it a whole lot closer and from different angles first.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#40    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,191 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Looks fake, the same shadow behind the Pyramid is in two different shots however both at the same angle.

#41    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

How did you determine it was artificial let alone a pyramid? I've seen more convincing natural hills.

#42    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,350 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I love how on the one hand the US government censor everything within an inch of it's life when it comes to aliens, and on the other hand we get accidental  discovery of alien pyramids on something that itslef is admittedly by NASA  edited before release to the public.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#43    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,433 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Lets leave all the CT stuff on earth please. NASA is doing a great job ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#44    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 29 September 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Lets leave all the CT stuff on earth please. NASA is doing a great job ! :tu:

Liked, unliked and liked again so I could double like it.  *sigh* ... I am not a real friend of CTists.  About the only thing I see them as being good for is target practice.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#45    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Psychic Spy

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 22 September 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

If you are not in awe, visit this panorama.  Click on the full-screen button, then click and drag (small movements - it sorta works backwards..)

Mars Panorama, Day 2

If that doesn't give you an eerie/awe-struck feeling about what it would be like to be up there, I don't know what will..

The landscape is actually beautiful yet surreal.

The amazing thing about it is, the quality of the images we are receiving from Curiosity.  Never would I have thought that technology would be this advanced for my generation to witness something like this.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users