Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

THE STRANGE PHOTO OF 1916

Rafael

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broken_inside

• frogfish

• Fluffybunny

• Original

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the picture isn't clear enough to see anything unusual

Looks photoshopped to me, just because it's old doesn't mean you can't scan and edit it.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking at and the picture is hard to see, but if it is the sky you are referring to, it looks like the sun shining in through the clouds???

I immediately saw a person looking down on the house, and the arms and head were apparent. I would claim it is still just a cloud anomaly.

My friend had a copy of that photo, which had been sold to her under the guise of being an original.

I have seen 3 copies of not counting yours, so my guess would be that nobody has an original, and somebody years ago made a fortune cranking out copies of the photo.

The original story my friend received was that it was an appearance of Jesus in the clouds one day that was captured on film. In looking at the "original" I wasn't sure, but it looked like a double exposure creatively done, but then again, I am no photo expert. It is old, and your scan looks like the exact same photo(same cropping, without seeing close up I would not be sure). I did look at it with a magnifying glass, and you can see very fine details in the person, although your scan does not have enough resolution to make that out.

Odds are it is an old scam that took many people in...

If you know something about this strange photo , send me a message to my forum please.

:no:

http://rafaelosegueraonline.blogspot.com

Go to the UM Home Page.

Click upon "Image Gallery".

Then click upon "Ghosts and Spirits Forms".

You will see the 1916 Sky Apparition, as the second image posted. There are currently 41 comments posted.

Hope this helps.

It looks like a double exposure...

I immediately saw a person looking down on the house, and the arms and head were apparent. I would claim it is still just a cloud anomaly.

Okay Azalin,

Now that you mention it, I can see eyes, nose and mouth, but I still can't see the arms! LOL

Maybe I need glasses...... B)

I think I can make a fairly educated guess as to what technique was used with this old photo. My son just graduated from a fine arts school this spring. He double-majored in fine art and artistic photography. One thing he learned about, and tried out was painting directly onto a photo negative before development, to achieve an artistic effect. Apparently, right around the time period of the photo being discussed here, the technique of painting on a negative was very popular. It was used to achieve all sorts of artistic effects.....very often religious themes too, as they sold well. Rather than being a double exposure, I'd suspect this photo was done by painting on the negative. The figure in the sky does look like a painting.

I think I can make a fairly educated guess as to what technique was used with this old photo. My son just graduated from a fine arts school this spring. He double-majored in fine art and artistic photography. One thing he learned about, and tried out was painting directly onto a photo negative before development, to achieve an artistic effect. Apparently, right around the time period of the photo being discussed here, the technique of painting on a negative was very popular. It was used to achieve all sorts of artistic effects.....very often religious themes too, as they sold well. Rather than being a double exposure, I'd suspect this photo was done by painting on the negative. The figure in the sky does look like a painting.

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Looks photoshopped to me, just because it's old doesn't mean you can't scan and edit it.

That's what I was thinking.

But you never know.

That's what I was thinking.

But you never know.

I saw this photo long before photoshop was even invented, or PC's for that matter. I am not saying that it is real, but that it was not digitally manipulated...

Then I am welcome to the double exposure theory :tu: Because that explains the difference in the contrast so well.

Edited by StalingradK

I always liked that picture because it was old in the year, and I seen that picture when I was grade school. My top favourite picture is Brown Lady of Raynham hall. I remember picking a book up from the shelf of my old school and it was an thin book about 90 or so pages. It had the pictures of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall, the female back seat driver from a funeral and this picture. I think it was in grade 3 when I got into the supernatural. I checked it out that book and I took it home and it hypnotized me. I looked at so many times trying to see if it was real. The ominous clouds always gave me that feeling of a forewarning like I felt it was an bad time in that period. Today I think about the flues and the illnesses that took so many lives in that Time. And this image also challenges the concept of photo-shopping.

It will be 4e be one of the best photos of all time in supernatural. The Lady of Fatima was also happening at that time.

double exposure ... double exposure.

ok.

thanks my friends

p.d. me gustaria ver la foto real de un fantasma.

post-24324-1128374894_thumb.jpg