Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Have Scientists Discovered Intuition?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,495 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:30 PM

Have Scientists Discovered Intuition?

By Gerald Traufetter

Whenever humans recognize a mistake, a mysterious wave of electricity passes through the brain. Researchers think the signal could explain addiction, error correction and even the sixth sense.

Stress is normal for the 5,500 scientists and engineers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. They know that whenever they make a decision, even the slightest error could have serious consequences.

Memories of 1999, after all, are still fresh. Eight years ago, when the Mars Polar Lander space probe entered the atmosphere of the red planet, radio contact was suddenly lost. The satellite simply disappeared from the screens at the control center. Four hundred million dollars had vanished into silence.

The two managers in charge of the project were convinced that they would be fired without further ado. "That's how we deal with errors in our culture," says Markus Ullsperger. But this time, the managers were spared, Ullsperger, a brain researcher at the Cologne-based Max Planck Institute for Neurological Research, recounts. "And it was a good decision," he says. "After all, millions had been invested in their training and education."

From the standpoint of neuropsychology, this was an excellent management decision. Errors, Ullsperger is convinced, are in fact one of the most valuable sources of knowledge. "A man's errors are his portals of discovery," Irish writer James Joyce once said, anticipating a conclusion modern neuroscience has now confirmed.

Full story, Source: Der Spiegel

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    signal7

signal7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Most Mars' expeditions fail.  Only 1 in 3 succeeds, I've learned.
I didn't see how stress was involved, though, just some unexpected errors cropped up.  That's to be fully expected when exploring the unknown.  To learn from other experiences.
Unless, of course, you're with the new generation of computer generated checking systems, as in pay check.

Questions+EasyAnswers^2==Flop...
Ignorance is Bliss, but knowing is cause..

#3    Cronus

Cronus

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

• It's best to die a broken piece of jade, than to live a life of clay.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:34 AM

Those two guys must've been quite nervous.. but how do you spend millions on someone's education ?

"The void is that which stands right in the middle of "this" and "that" the void is all-inclusive, having no opposite, there is nothing which it excludes or opposes, it is living void because all forms come out of it and whoever realizes the void, is filled with life and power and the love of all things."

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,495 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Those two guys must've been quite nervous.. but how do you spend millions on someone's education ?

First you send the kid for 12 years to a private boarding school and then for ten years to an elite university... no problem.

ED:TYPO

Edited by questionmark, 23 September 2007 - 12:13 PM.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Cronus

Cronus

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

• It's best to die a broken piece of jade, than to live a life of clay.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

First you send the kid for 12 years to a private boarding school and then for ten years to an elite university... no problem.

ED:TYPO

an elite university.. like harvard ?

"The void is that which stands right in the middle of "this" and "that" the void is all-inclusive, having no opposite, there is nothing which it excludes or opposes, it is living void because all forms come out of it and whoever realizes the void, is filled with life and power and the love of all things."

#6    The Little Raven

The Little Raven

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

That was a major leap - from an article about neurology to an article about a Rover?
To be honest, I'm more curious about the neurology. I'll have to look this up later.

Edited by The Little Raven, 05 October 2007 - 01:33 AM.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,495 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

an elite university.. like harvard ?

Try a Swiss boarding school first and Oxford's Trinity if the kid has the passing grades. Top grade Spanish Jesuit's school could do the same to your pocketbook.

Havard is not the most expensive College around.

about me

#8    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Try a Swiss boarding school first and Oxford's Trinity if the kid has the passing grades. Top grade Spanish Jesuit's school could do the same to your pocketbook.

Havard is not the most expensive College around.

I think I'd rather be an average joe. @_@

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users