Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Can't A Woman Be Pope?

pope woman catholic male pope benedict xvi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,334 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 10 March 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Perhaps be radical and actually make a Christian Pope, as apposed to this two millenia long succesion of semi-pagan anti-Christs. However, there will not be a woman Pope for all the reasons made in previous posts, and perhaps mostly because even though the religion of Rome is a corrupt version of paganism, having a priestess is definately pagan. Anyway, strange that in UK they do not seem to understand their own language and have no idea that the feminine of priest is priestess. Still, at least they gradually make their way back to paganism Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Having priestess' is one of the things I've always liked about paganism. That one fact alone has influence my spiritual beliefs, as it is empowers women when most religions do the opposite.

#17    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

The same reason gay people are demonised by the Catholic Church. Because they're still living in 2000 years ago.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#18    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostBeany, on 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Having priestess' is one of the things I've always liked about paganism. That one fact alone has influence my spiritual beliefs, as it is empowers women when most religions do the opposite.
Perhaps it is overdue to bring back the worship and High Priestesses of Isis. Was massively popular back in the days.....     And perhaps it would mean there would not need to be scandalous video about Cardinal Bertone on youtube. So scandalous that I would never link to here for legal reasons. Surprising youtube have not removed yet.....

#19    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Perhaps be radical and actually make a Christian Pope, as apposed to this two millenia long succesion of semi-pagan anti-Christs. However, there will not be a woman Pope for all the reasons made in previous posts, and perhaps mostly because even though the religion of Rome is a corrupt version of paganism, having a priestess is definately pagan. Anyway, strange that in UK they do not seem to understand their own language and have no idea that the feminine of priest is priestess. Still, at least they gradually make their way back to paganism Posted Image

Bah! You love us (Catholics) reallly! Paganism? That's a new one on me! How so?

Edited by Star of the Sea, 10 March 2013 - 08:14 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#20    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 10 March 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

Why would they want to be?

Why, in God's name, would any sane women want to!!!?!

Posted Image

#21    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Bingo!

#22    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,212 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 10 March 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

That's what I meant, except for the part of gods name.

I don't see how any sane person would want to, man or woman.

Edited by HavocWing, 10 March 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#23    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 10 March 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Bah! You love us (Catholics) reallly! Paganism? That's a new one on me! How so?
As a Catholic you are essentially a pagan already. Christ would not recognise what he began in your bells and smells and saints and statues and ikons. And as British you are from a country whose established church engages in the verbal contortion of "women priests". This seems insulting to women, unlike with paganism were it is normal and honourable to be a priestess, and honest.....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 10 March 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#24    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostA Tutankh-passeri, on 10 March 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

As a Catholic you are essentially a pagan already. Christ would not recognise what he began in your bells and smells and saints and statues and icons. And as British you are from a country whose established church engages in the verbal contortion of "women priests". Besides, you are atheists who have wrapped yourselves in the cloak of religion, yet your "god" is simply a man and your trinity is stolen from us to provide yourselves with a fig leaf of decency. 2,000 years you have lied and cheated and killed, yet you have never destroyed the old gods. They sleep in the folk memory of all, and in some they have began to waken these years past. Your time begins to fade atheists, your world collapses around you. We sit to one side and watch and wait.

Who is us? :w00t:  Oh my! This is one heck of a post... :P

Edited by Star of the Sea, 10 March 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#25    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 10 March 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Who is us? :w00t:  Oh my! This is one heck of a post... :P
Clearly, and as ridiculous as your "religion". You are quoting a phantom by the way.... Posted Image

#26    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostA Tutankh-passeri, on 10 March 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Clearly, and as ridiculous as your "religion". You are quoting a phantom by the way.... Posted Image

LOL! That explains it all then B)

#27    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,334 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

OK, one reason to be a popess is because of all the cool dresses  you'd get to wear. When a guy wears them they're called robes. And the hats & jewelry look pretty substantial, too.

#28    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I suspect that this is not an error but a deliberate change. In the later half of the 20th century a lot of gender specific words were removed from "correct english language" to prevent discrimination (or as political correct ness.)

Terms such as author /authoress  poet/ poetess, were replaced with  a word inclusive of gender. So a priest can now be either man or woman, as can an author  or a poet.

As an aside, "ess" tends to denote female as in governor/governess or  or seamstress or indeed lioness.  A lot of these  exclusively female jobs had already diappeared and the names of most others were changed to make them inclusive of male ad female  These suffixes came into English from the french after the 1300s, as french became the courtly language of Britain with the Norman conquest.

Instead of chairman or chair woman one was simply called "the chair" or chair person. It got harder with policeman and fisher man but only because they were so engrained in language and culture. Police officer works, but fisher person doesn't.

It is interesting that the latin word for priest , sacerdos, is inclusive of male and female and ancient romans had women priests, but in "The world of warcraft", a modern game played mostly by males, a women priest is called a priestess.

Edited by Mr Walker, 12 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#29    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 12 March 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Instead of chairman or chair woman one was simply called "the chair" or chair person.
Madness.....
How long before woman is changed to "wo" and man simply made illegal.....

#30    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 10 March 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Perhaps it is overdue to bring back the worship and High Priestesses of Isis. Was massively popular back in the days..... And perhaps it would mean there would not need to be scandalous video about Cardinal Bertone on youtube. So scandalous that I would never link to here for legal reasons. Surprising youtube have not removed yet.....

I think it's important to recognize both the feminine and male divine; I don't care to see one made supreme over the other, but would love to see more balance. Women are as capable of carrying out sacred duties as men are, I think most of us recognize that; however some of us would yield our own common sense and fairness to church authority and accept that because it is tradition it should not change. And who benefits from that, and who loses?

Also tagged with pope, woman, catholic, male, pope benedict xvi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users