Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing Plants To Light Up Your Home

Still Waters

In a scene straight out of a sci-fi movie set, scientists are working on engineering plants that glow as brightly as your typical household lamp. Their mix of synthetic biology, genetic sequencing and glowing bacteria promises to produce a new kind of sustainable lighting.

http://news.discover...home-130502.htm

• Like 3

I am skeptical, you go to their website and they want you to donate money. Send me a plant or seeds and I'll send you money,

Maybe this will help save money on electric or at least you won't need a nightlight.

I'll be impressed enough to contribute if they can make glowing keratinous filaments ... I'll have the mohawk fashion in vermillion ...

The video was cool and all...but I didn't actually see any glowing plants. That's a bust for me honestly, if they are asking for money.

I dont think its impossible. As far as my memory dates, the enzyme luciferase is found in organisms belonging to phyllum ctenophora of the animal kingdom.

Its a good attempt :D

• Like 1

this one is pretty cool as long as they don't alter its DNA in some harmful way to the plants and etc.although i am against altering DNA of anything unless its by nature itself or naturally not man cause or man made.but the effects on the light is awesome but it feels wrong though still.

and how do I turn that of?

• Like 1

GM plants?

luciferase??

'tis the work of satan I tells ya'!!

:-)

this one is pretty cool as long as they don't alter its DNA in some harmful way to the plants and etc.although i am against altering DNA of anything unless its by nature itself or naturally not man cause or man made.but the effects on the light is awesome but it feels wrong though still.

strange place to be in really.

most people scream bloody murder when they hear the words 'Genetically Modified', but it all seems to go out of the window when the trendysomethings realise they can buy them at ikea for a fiver a pop, and use them to impress the joneses.....

it'll will not give you glowing skin, mebbe glowing poo ... turn off the toilet light to be sure

• Like 2

it'll will not give you glowing skin, mebbe glowing poo ... turn off the toilet light to be sure

I just posted something to that effect third eye, but it seems to have disappeared!

:-(

I just posted something to that effect third eye, but it seems to have disappeared!

:-(

You've been distracted by the other 'thread' I presume .... :D

Glowing urin would be cool aiming in the dark would be alot easier !
  • Like 1

You've been distracted by the other 'thread' I presume .... :D

honestly, it was there, I saw it!

i'll repost it, and see if it disappears again.....

• Like 1

What about eating them ?

you'd certainly know when you'd finished wiping your ass if you took a dump in the dark if you did!

:-)

• Like 2

alright ... that's about enough of the glowing bodily functions ... lets get back to that glowing plant ////

:lol:

• Like 1

As far as $ goes. I'll buy a glow plant the day they live 3 to 6 months and give some good light. Until then I give my best wishes