Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

President Obama authorizes Iraqi airstrikes

Raptor Witness

Coming from President Obama, "God bless America," doesn't sound very comforting.

Someone was whispering serious doom in this man's ear today.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Hmm. He is taking action to protect the Yazidi. With their worship of the first angel "Shaytan" and the animosity that it brings them from Christian and Muslim alike, I am not surprised that ISIS is trying to eradicate them. I am surprised that the US decided to help. We never really seemed to care about them before.

Can some one play the game of "count the number of times he says terrorist" because it is a lot.

• Like 1

"Today I authorized two operations in Iraq."

So is this another War Powers Resolution situation where Iraq is a threat to the US? Is this another War Powers Resolution situation in which Congress will allegedly have to enforce the limits of Obama's operations (but doesn't)? Or is this another undeclared war, another suspended reality, where dropping bombs isn't considered an act of war? Or is this just a continuation of the same undeclared war we started over a decade ago? And is this that "strong leadership" that cranky wanton Republicans so want and need in the world?

"We do whatever is necessary to protect our people." Is the Yazidi our people? Are they our "allies" now?

• Like 1

"An Iraqi cried, "Why is no one coming to help?'. Now, America is coming to help". :yes:

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb
  • Like 1

Since we're still playing stupid games in the Middle East, and the Republicans can't form complete sentences about this headline for at least another day because they're now more confused than ever, I'd like to dedicate a song to Obama's foreign policy. The speech impediment? It's just brain freeze, only a temporary condition. Once they listen to their favorite talking heads and mainstream media pundits, they'll show up knowing what to say about it as usual.

So I want to dedicate this next song to all the Yellow Bus riders out there. That means you, Republicans&Democrats! I'm sorry to say something yet again that's unpopular to 90% of the audience here, but you know, oh well.

Let's just let the beauty of music say what we really want to say, without really having to say it! Republicans especially, can use a bit more black culture in their lives.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

The president who won the Nobel Peace Prize less than nine months after his inauguration has turned out to be one of the most militarily aggressive American leaders in decades.

Liberals helped to elect Barack Obama in part because of his opposition to the Iraq war, and probably don’t celebrate all of the president’s many military accomplishments. But they are sizable.

Mr. Obama decimated Al Qaeda’s leadership. He overthrew the Libyan dictator. He ramped up drone attacks in Pakistan, waged effective covert wars in Yemen and Somalia and authorized a threefold increase in the number of American troops in Afghanistan. He became the first president to authorize the assassination of a United States citizen, Anwar al-Awlaki, who was born in New Mexico and played an operational role in Al Qaeda, and was killed in an American drone strike in Yemen. And, of course, Mr. Obama ordered and oversaw the Navy SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/president-obama-warrior-in-chief.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And that article is nearly two and a half years old already. So what exactly is this "bold leadership" that Republicans are pining for? Is there not enough tough-talk? Is that all it is? Probably is, but I'll leave the benefit of the doubt on the table. Is there some popular and creative right-wing threat that Obama failed to make somewhere in the world? Are there not enough bombs, and not soon enough?

What a world we live in where our most warlike Presidents aren't warlike enough. That's a great new attitude to have though, if our true interests are babysitting the downfall of America.

And Democrats, who broke the axle on your anti-war wagon and what cliff did you all fall off? Man I'm so glad I didn't get caught up in all that fake hysteria from you guys in 2007-2008.

• Like 2

I heard this A.M. that ISIS took control of the huge hydroelectric dam at Mosul, which is new. If they have, then Bagdad has a serious problem, because supposedly, if they blow that dam, the raging torrent of flood water could wipe out parts of the capital.

That would be an interesting twist on what is already crazy with a capital "C."

I vote that we send all their men to Shia and Sunni Hell and turn Iraq into a colony. If we're going to fight these SOB's, lets take some land and keep it, so the blood and treasure aren't wasted.

This business of breaking things and "fixing them" is as insane as it is pointless. Why not break Iraq all the way, and put their women in charge of everything?

the good ol' Frontier spirit. So you'd recommend removing the current population (the male portion, at any rate)? Do you mean moving them elsewhere (a nice bit of Ethnic cleansing) or are you just talking about good ol' genocide?

• Like 3

ah yes... the armchair military solution... which will it be

1) Nuke them til they glow and shoot them in the dark?

or

2) the old Christian method of... kill them all and god will know his own?

head shakingly sad what is and has been happening there for generations... there is no simple solution.

• Like 1

Obama does not care about fighting these Islam terrorists groups or the massacres done by them. He just covering his butt not to cause another Benghazi and a threat to the American personal there. Maybe it was wrong to go into Iraq, but it was a front line at least to fight Islam terrorists groups after attacking our country. This ISIS group is threating to fly their flag at the white house. Like Bush said we have to fight them there before they come to our door step, of which thousands of our men and women have already died for on the those front lines.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 3

Obama does not care about fighting these Islam terrorists groups or the massacres done by them. He just covering his butt not to cause another Benghazi and a threat to the American personal there. Maybe it was wrong to go into Iraq, but it was a front line at least to fight Islam terrorists groups after attacking our country. This ISIS group is threating to fly their flag at the white house. Like Bush said we have to fight them there before they come to our door step, of which thousands of our men and women have already died for on the those front lines.

ISIS are a very long way from mounting any sort of real threat to the US, and as for flying their flag on the White House?!!!

Personally I am dubious about these airstrikes.

ISIS are a very long way from mounting any sort of real threat to the US, and as for flying their flag on the White House?!!!

So was Al qaeda far away, but they almost succeeded in wiping out the White house , destroyed our government buildings, killing thousands.

• Like 1

Well, you know, we tortured some folks and now we're killing some folks. :whistle:

• Like 3

So was Al qaeda far away, but they almost succeeded in wiping out the White house , destroyed our government buildings, killing thousands.

sigh. It didn't say that did it? It said "flying their flag on the White House". Quite a difference.

I know it's considered "tin hat conspiracy theory"...but I am still convinced that "ISIS/ISIL" are a bought and paid for mercenary force.

I know the extreme nutjobs think it's a CIA/Mossad operation but I won't go that far...it's prob the Saudi Arabians or the Iranians.

They just rose up too fast and were way too organized to be "just another terrorist group". We will probably never know the truth...but my gut tells me they had big money backing them from somewhere an...well..the Saudis fit that description quite well. They want that damn pipeline and if they have to destroy heaven and earth, they will have it.

• Like 1

Iranians are Shiite while ISIS is Sunni. It is Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Yemen. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/isis-saudi-arabia-iraq-syria-bandar/373181/

But now they are pretty much self-funded: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/opinion/sunday/in-iraq-and-syria-isis-militants-are-flush-with-funds.html?_r=0

Heck, even the US and Israel gave them indirect aid because they were/are fighting Assad in Syria. http://scgnews.com/ironic-israel-helps-isis-with-airstrikes-against-the-syrian-government

Can some one play the game of "count the number of times he says terrorist" because it is a lot.

The newest drinking game!

• Like 3

The newest drinking game!

Watch the latest CNN video, he is now in love with the word terrorist....almost as if he is attempting to rapidly build up an association of some sort between ISIS and terrorism.

No, I am sure the I am just being paranoid....oh wait...bombs dropped.

• Like 3

They just rose up too fast and were way too organized to be "just another terrorist group". We will probably never know the truth...but my gut tells me they had big money backing them from somewhere an...well..the Saudis fit that description quite well. They want that damn pipeline and if they have to destroy heaven and earth, they will have it.

They learned warfare in Syria, fighting the army of Bashar Al-Assad. They quickly rose as the dominant Rebel forces there, they got funds from Saudia Arabia and Kuweit eager to see Bashar out of the portrait. As a result they were able take strategic point such as the city of Raqqa in 2013 and have been able to get their share of the oil field. Money, weapons (including some powerful ones left behind by a frightened Iraki army that was provided by the US), oil and now taxes from the various cities they have under control, they are an organized group of fighters driven by an ideology which makes them a real threat for the Middle-East.

"We do whatever is necessary to protect our people." Is the Yazidi our people? Are they our "allies" now?

Many believe that it is the fact that the Kurds (considered to be an ally of the US) are currently under attack by the ISIL and have suffered serious defeat and lost a fifth of their oil in the process last sunday which prompted the Obama Administration to order airstrikes and stay the advance of the ISIL.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

Watch the latest CNN video, he is now in love with the word terrorist....almost as if he is attempting to rapidly build up an association of some sort between ISIS and terrorism.

No, I am sure the I am just being paranoid....oh wait...bombs dropped.

That's exactly what it is and Obummers handlers have had him doing this for quite sometime. Simple word association game , much like his predecessors with his dubyamd's in Iraq that never were found because they didn't exist.

Obama-Bush-WMD-Iraq-Syria.jpg

Edited by StRoostifer
  • Like 1

They learned warfare in Syria, fighting the army of Bashar Al-Assad. They quickly rose as the dominant Rebel forces there, they got funds from Saudia Arabia and Kuweit eager to see Bashar out of the portrait. As a result they were able take strategic point such as the city of Raqqa in 2013 and have been able to get their share of the oil field. Money, weapons (including some powerful ones left behind by a frightened Iraki army that was provided by the US), oil and now taxes from the various cities they have under control, they are an organized group of fighters driven by an ideology which makes them a real threat for the Middle-East.

Hmmm, if I didn't know better, I'd say you just described the US military/ government.

Hmmm, if I didn't know better, I'd say you just described the US military/ government.

Thankfully US citizens are not forced to live under radical islamist laws where human rights don't exist, nor are they forced to make the choice between fleeing their homes with their children to starve in the desert, converting or dying.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

We should be dropping bombs on ISIS.. They are totally out of control and nobody is doing anything to stop them or even slow them down. Not sure what limited air strikes are going to accomplish. ISIS has already shown that they don't play with rules, why not just Carpet Bomb acouple of their strongholds, full out display of what absolute power is really like.

EDIT: Prob. not going to happen while Obama is in office....

Edited by Ogbin

Thankfully US citizens are not forced to live under radical islamist laws where human rights don't exist, nor are they forced to make the choice between fleeing their homes with their children to starve in the desert, converting or dying.

Agreed but seeing as how the US does have domestic problems they ignore,maybe its best to take care of those problems first before policing the rest of the world.

I feel for those folks in the middle east but how can a country help others when it cannot help its own or more importantly give a sh!t.

The world police bit is old!

• Like 1