Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegaterians

et's daddy

personally i couldnt live without steak

but is there any info to suggest vegaterians are more healthy or live longer ?

seems if they lived longer the news would be all over it

does anyone here stick to that diet ?

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• hyperactive

• robbieb

• frogfish

I don't eat fish or meat, I just don't like it, I never have done. (My baby book states "likes baked beans, dislikes chicken") I'd say being vegetarian is only healthier if you know what substitute foods you need to get all your vitamins etc.

Recently I've found out I may be lactose intolerant, which means I'll need to first cut out dairy totally to find out if it makes a difference and then make sure I counteract the lack of dairy with other foods. I don't really want to become Vegan but if it's necessary I'll be consulting a dietician to make sure I'm eating the right things.

Personally I'd recommend a healthy diet includes fish and lean white meat.

I am not a vegetarians but do calorie restriction... which does extend life span.

I don't think that vegetarians live that much longer and some may have long term vitamin/mineral deficiencies if they don't supplement.

There is no evidence to support the idea that us Vegeterians are more healthy. Quite to the contrary, in fact. :tu:

I'm vegetarian, but I'm quite unhealthy because I don't take vitamins and I only eat one meal a day. I suppose if you got the right information, it would be good for you.

I'm vegetarian, but I'm quite unhealthy because I don't take vitamins and I only eat one meal a day. I suppose if you got the right information, it would be good for you.

same as me, though it depends how bothered I am to make something, I either have 2 or 3 meals a day, or 1 a day.

but I guess if you did the meals right I guess it still gives you the recommended nutrition values

Walken is right. Vegetarians normally don't get enough amino acids in them. Also, eating too much red meat is bad. Eating right amounts of everything is the best.

I am not a vegetarians but do calorie restriction... which does extend life span.

you have a source for this ?

my grandfather was over-weight and he lived to be 96

exceptions to every rule i know but gees

It can go either way. Vegetarians could be if they consume all the nessacary vitamins etc, although its easier for us meat eaters since a lot of meat already contains most of the vitamins and minerals, such as fish, which is really good for you :D

I'm a vegan and very versed in nutrition I have taken alot of classes and still do, wth do you want to know in particular??Yes they are healthier, food builds a strong body and strong systems, fresh foods such as vegtables, fruit legumes rice (brown raw nuts etc... little to no animal foods most definitley builds a immune sytem that can fend off just about anything, I must tell you I take veganism seriously and put the time in to learn about it and I have reaped many health benefits, I was asthmatic very seriously all my life , It is completely gone, I had all kinds of sinus issues gone, skin disorders gone, My son who is 8 has never been on an antibiotic, and has never had anything more than a common cold... oh i do not take suppliments, that is personal preference , and a myth in my world, I'd say learn about nutrition so few even understand it, there are free classes available often through your medical...Most gyms have a nutrtionist you can meet with or your doctor cabn point you in the nutriton direction. , if not buy a book on nutrition go online...the majority of health issues are due to the consumption of animal products........It also makes kids smarter and devoid of behavioral issues brought on by sugar in the diet... :D

YOU BECOME WHAT YOU EAT...........a well nourished lifestyle is a well nurished healthy human....

Edited by Sheri berri

There is no evidence to support the idea that us Vegeterians are more healthy. Quite to the contrary, in fact. :tu:

I'm evidence and so are the vegans i know, you are talking on no authority at all....

It is a myth the human body needs meat to sustain it.....

Are Vegetarian Diets Unhealthy?

"Significant athersclerosis is rare in peoples whose

diet over the life span is predominantly vegetarian

and low in calories, total lipids, saturated lipids and

cholesterol."

Nutrition and Athersclerosis by Louis Katz. 1958

"The study measured testosterone levels in 696

Oxford University men. Of the study participants,

233 were vegan (ate no animal products) and

237 were vegetarian (ate milk and dairy products).

The remaining 237 subjects were men who ate

meat on most days of the week...vegans had

higher testosterone levels than vegetarians and

meat-eaters."

British Journal of Cancer, 83(1), July 2000

"Scientific data suggest positive relationships

between a vegetarian diet and reduced risk

for several chronic degenerative diseases and

conditions, including obesity, coronary artery

disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and

some types of cancer."

Journal of the American Dietetic Association,

November 1997, 97(1)

"Vegetarians often have lower mortality rates

from several chronic degenerative diseases

than do nonvegetarians."

British Medical Journal, 1996; 313

"Vegan diets are appropriate for all stages of the life

cycle, including during pregnancy and lactation."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59(suppl):1176S-1181S.

"Vegan diets can meet the nutrient and energy needs

of pregnant women. Birth weights of infants born to

well nourished vegetarian women have been shown

to be similar to birth-weight norms and to birth weights

of infants of nonvegetarians."

Pediatrics. 1989;84

"Vegetarian diets low in fat or saturated fat

have been used successfully as part of

comprehensive health programs to reverse

severe coronary artery disease."

Journal of the American Medical Association

1995; 274

"Vegetarian diets offer disease protection

benefits because higher concentration of

antioxidants such as vitamins C and E,

carotenoids, and phytochemicals."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63(suppl)

"Vegetarian diets offer disease protection

benefits because of their lower saturated fat,

cholesterol, and animal protein content and

often higher concentration of folate

which reduces serum homocysteine levels."

J Am Diet Assoc. 1995;95

"Mortality from coronary artery disease is

lower in vegetarians than in nonvegetarians."

British Medical Journal, 1994; 308

"Vegetarian diets have been successful in

arresting coronary artery disease."

Am J Epidemiol. 1995;142

"Serum cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein

cholesterol levels are usually lower in vegetarians."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59

"Vegetarians have a lower incidence of hypertension

than nonvegetarians."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59(suppl)

"Type 2 diabetes mellitus is less likely to be a

cause of death in vegetarians than nonvegetarians."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48(suppl)

"Incidence of lung and colorectal cancer is lower

in vegetarians than in nonvegetarians."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59(suppl)

"Reduced colorectal cancer risk is associated with

increased consumption of fiber, vegetables, and fruit."

Cancer Causes Control. 1991;1:427-442.

"Breast cancer rates are lower in populations that

consume plant-based diets."

American Cancer Society

Cancer Facts and Figures, 1994

"Some plant proteins may increase survival rates and

decrease proteinuria, glomerular filtration rate, renal

blood flow, and histologic renal damage compared

with a nonvegetarian diet."

Clinical Nutrition, 1995;10

from the notmilk newsletter. visit www.notmilk.com for more.

:sk:st thankyou Hyper i was literally coming back to set up to post studies and you have it covered :st

A well balanced diet is still better than all-meat or vegetarian diets.

Many amino acids cannot be found in one, but the other.

Of course, one of the lives you could save or at least prolong is your own. For vegetarianism should be about more than not eating; it's also about smart eating. You needn't be a born-again foodist to think this. The American Dietetic Association, a pretty centrist group, has proclaimed that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

One of the biggest fears meat-eaters have is that vegetarian food does not contain all the necessary nutrients for healthy living. The meat industry is big and powerful -- The fact is, vegetarians on average eat better than nonvegetarians. They consume more vitamin A, C, E, thiamine and riboflavin, magnesium, folate, and carotenoids such as beta-carotene. The typical vegetarian eats about 2 to 3 times as much fiber as the nonvegetarian. The health dividends paid by these nutrients have been thoroughly studied. Most research suggests that dietary antioxidants found in foods, such as carotenoids and vitamins C and E, are associated with a reduced risk of cancer and heart disease. Folate consumption may reduce blood levels of homocysteine, which some important studies have linked to heart disease risk. And while a key study showed earlier this year that fiber does not protect against colon cancer, researchers still believe it works to lower "bad," low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Just as important is what is missing from the vegetarian's plate: the meatless diet has less saturated fat, less cholesterol, and fewer calories. Vegetarians have largely escaped the American epidemic of obesity, and they have much lower rates of Type 2 diabetes.

The central idea of vegetarianism -- that there is a kinship of all nature -- stretches back 2,500 years to the Greek philosopher Pythagoras. But Cowherd was in the right place at the right time to make it into a popular movement.

Salford's links with vegetarianism go back to 1809 when the Reverend William Cowherd established the Bible Christian Church as a breakaway from the Swedenborgian New Church in King Street, his congregation had to take a vow not to eat meat. Chapels were also established in Manchester at Ancoats and Hulme.

After all in the optimum organic living conditons it is the vegitation that grows the animals most animals are vegetarian...

Again, a mixed diet is the best. Sadly, not many eat a mixed diet...its all extreme.

Again, a mixed diet is the best. Sadly, not many eat a mixed diet...its all extreme.

i admit i'm all about the extremes there, can you say the wendys grand slam combo? that's one pound of beef per burger! two of those, and youre ready to face the day! though as frogfish stated, a mixed proper diet would be the best for everyone...still, i do love me a grand slam... :hmm:

personally i couldnt live without steak

but is there any info to suggest vegaterians are more healthy or live longer ?

seems if they lived longer the news would be all over it

does anyone here stick to that diet ?

I have been a steak lover all my life. Just recently I have changed my diet and I have to admit I feel more energetic already. I suppose we'll see over time but thus its been great actually. I still eat fish though. Actually believe it or not my kids love sushi and I think I would have to pry them away from it....strange.

I have been a steak lover all my life. Just recently I have changed my diet and I have to admit I feel more energetic already. I suppose we'll see over time but thus its been great actually. I still eat fish though. Actually believe it or not my kids love sushi and I think I would have to pry them away from it....strange.

Star this is the first time in human history tha tchildren will be alive in a time where veganism is excepted, many children are choosing naturally to go vegan, my son inspired us, and I was a vegan as a child I was forced to eat meat by ignorant parents.....

"For vegetarianism should be about more than not eating; it's also about smart eating"

:tu: it has to be about what you do eat.

a balanced vegan diet of fruits, nuts, plants, grains contains everything the human body requires.

Star this is the first time in human history tha tchildren will be alive in a time where veganism is excepted, many children are choosing naturally to go vegan, my son inspired us, and I was a vegan as a child I was forced to eat meat by ignorant parents.....

You know to be quite honest my children don't particulary like meat. I always noticed that at dinner time they go right for the mashed potatoes and corn or broccoli. I never make them get meat, I just figure if they want the potatoes and broccoli than go for it. Its always mostly been my fiancee and I eating the meat. except for the fish they love that.

I need to get a book to read about this. I really think my family will fair just fine without the meat. My fiancee's sister is a vegan and owns her own natural herb shop. She hasn't gotten a cold in 6 years. :blink: I'm venturing over to the other side slowly but surely. I'm very small and always thought I need to meat to keep weight on but in the meantime I have high colestoral and pulmonary problems. I tend to think a change in diet will make all the difference. :tu:

There is nothing better than hunting down prey and ripping its carcass open while roaring your cry of dominance, feasting on its flesh. And no, vegitarians arent more healthy because you need the protine and what not in meat, i dont think there were many vegitarian homosepians.

There is nothing better than hunting down prey and ripping its carcass open while roaring your cry of dominance, feasting on its flesh. And no, vegitarians arent more healthy because you need the protine and what not in meat, i dont think there were many vegitarian homosepians.

:lol: If I hadn't already eaten a meaty dinner I could go for a deer tenderloin right now :tu: