Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chapel ordered to perform same sex marriage

danielost

https://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/20/hitching-post-wedding-chapel-ordered-to-perform-same-sex-marriages/

Every once in a while a case comes along where I am tempted to suggest that we skip a few steps in the normal process. Or maybe the vast majority of the steps. This one is a situation where my inclination is to say, let’s just skip the local court case, the appeals and the endless debate in the media and on the blogs. Let’s just pack this one up, fly to Washington, DC, go knock on the door to the Supreme Court, hand it to John Roberts’ clerk and say, Here you go, boys and girls. Have at it.

City officials in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho have informed two ordained ministers that they must perform same sex marriages or face jail time and a fine.

City officials told Donald Knapp that he and his wife Evelyn, both ordained ministers who run Hitching Post Wedding Chapel, are required to perform such ceremonies or face months in jail and/or thousands of dollars in fines. The city claims its “non-discrimination” ordinance requires the Knapps to perform same-sex wedding ceremonies now that the courts have overridden Idaho’s voter-approved constitutional amendment that affirmed marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

here is the stepping stone to forcing church's to perform same sex marriages. which i said would happen, and so many of you said it wouldn't happen.

• Like 2

The problem here is churches force you do to something that you don't like doing. Religion is a form of people control. But it seems people are 50/50 on this and also not quotes from anyone, not even from the couple. So not exactly an equal news story

That's pretty wrong. It's one thing to legalize marriage on a state level, but it's entirely different to force a faith/morality based religion to bless a marriage the religion, at this time, doesn't support.

• Like 3

It's a freaking wedding chapel across the street from the court house. It's not even an actual church. They provide a service and this city in Idaho has a non discrimination ordinance.

• Like 4

It's a freaking wedding chapel across the street from the court house. It's not even an actual church. They provide a service and this city in Idaho has a non discrimination ordinance.

Very true....Las Vegas drive thru wedding chapels are a little different than a church wedding with a minister/priest.

However...

I could see this as a stepping stone toward forcing the hand of faith based organizations...maybe...maybe not.

I would think people would be happy with having the ceremony/celebration regardless who performed it or where...but then again...I often find that people make no sense to me.

If religion has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century than so be it.

Tell that line to Islam and when they listen...so will everyone else

• Like 2

Yeah it's pretty screwed up, forcing anyone to do anything against their religion is a big no-no in my book. Public opinion affecting private organizations has become the new thing, and usually caters to a minority who wouldn't give a crap in the first place.

• Like 3

Very true....Las Vegas drive thru wedding chapels are a little different than a church wedding with a minister/priest.

However...

I could see this as a stepping stone toward forcing the hand of faith based organizations...maybe...maybe not.

I would think people would be happy with having the ceremony/celebration regardless who performed it or where...but then again...I often find that people make no sense to me.

It's only fair that homosexuals be allowed to be as miserable as the rest of us in marriage.

Tell that line to Islam and when they listen...so will everyone else

Or everyone else could, I dunno, try leading by example instead of clinging to outdated beliefs?

• Like 1

If religion has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century than so be it.

soorry but no. next it will be you being forced to do something you think is wrong. assuming you think anything is wrong.

• Like 3

soorry but no. next it will be you being forced to do something you think is wrong. assuming you think anything is wrong.

That's right, because I'm an atheist I am completely immoral and think that nothing is wrong and everything is permissible. Now excuse me while I go drink the blood of these children before engaging in a pre-marital sex ritual with a muslim under the head of baphomet.

You and you ilk are dinosaurs, out of place in world that no longer needs your brand of exclusive morality.

• Like 2

That's right, because I'm an atheist I am completely immoral and think that nothing is wrong and everything is permissible. Now excuse me while I go drink the blood of these children before engaging in a pre-marital sex ritual with a muslim under the head of baphomet.

You and you ilk are dinosaurs, out of place in world that no longer needs your brand of exclusive morality.

It has nothing to do with Atheists vs non-Atheists, it's a matter of basic right and wrong as well as common sense. A wedding ceremony in any religious context is not required to gain legal marital status. It's a purely faith-based ceremony. Why should a religious institution be forced, against their beliefs, to be legally obligated to endorse something which can be legally acquired elsewhere at no loss or inconvenience to the couple?

Until the churches decide to perform these on their own then let gay/lesbian couples have non-denominational ceremonies if it means that much to them.

• Like 7

i wasn't refering to athiests, i don't know all the athiests on here. i was reffering to you yourself.

Who cares if they get married in a church. At least they are commited. Would you rather the milk for free or buy the Cow? :innocent:

Who cares if they get married in a church. At least they are commited. Would you rather the milk for free or buy the Cow? :innocent:

thats the problem. there is no milk. you only get milk when a bull and cow reproduce.

C'mon now....I think you kinda overreacted a bit to what Daniellost was saying.

I think he was saying...for example...if you hate eating spinach and because it's good for you....someone forces you to eat it (might hold down healthcare costs)....you wouldn't like it.

OK...that was a terrible example....way too oversimplistic...but I "got" what he was trying to say. Had nothing to do with a particular religion or lack of....What if atheists had to say a prayer to buy a "Christmas" gift for someone in order to participate in the festivities...you wouldn't like that very much either.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

the isrealites, and jews thought the same thing through out their histories. this was usually followed soon after with bad things happening. to them.

It has nothing to do with Atheists vs non-Atheists, it's a matter of basic right and wrong as well as common sense. A wedding ceremony in any religious context is not required to gain legal marital status. It's a purely faith-based ceremony. Why should a religious institution be forced, against their beliefs, to be legally obligated to endorse something which can be legally acquired elsewhere at no loss or inconvenience to the couple?

Until the churches decide to perform these on their own then let gay/lesbian couples have non-denominational ceremonies if it means that much to them.

A wedding chapel across the street from the court house should not be afford the same rights a church, no matter how stupid those rights are.

I'm never going to convince anyone in this thread and no one is going to be able to tell me that I'm wrong, cause I'm not. I think all religions should be stripped of their rights. They been bastions of ignorance and hatred masked behind "faith" for far too long.

Bigots rejoice, I'm out of this thread.

• Like 1

C'mon now....I think you kinda overreacted a bit to what Daniellost was saying.

I think he was saying...for example...if you hate eating spinach and because it's good for you....someone forces you to eat it (might hold down healthcare costs)....you wouldn't like it.

OK...that was a terrible example....way too oversimplistic...but I "got" what he was trying to say. Had nothing to do with a particular religion or lack of....What if atheists had to say a prayer to buy a "Christmas" gift for someone in order to participate in the festivities...you wouldn't like that very much either.

I have nothing nice to say about daniel or his "opinions"

i'm not sure what bad things you talking about, danielost, but the worst thing in recent history happened because they (majority anyway) could not believe that nazi will do anything to harm them, after all they were german citizens, and from believeng the system is doing the right thing. while 100s of thousands saw what was comming, and left, million of others that beleved german gvmnt, and did not leave, we all know where they ended up. not for nothing but i see same attutide here today (the gvmnt will never do that, or this)

not sure if it helps of hurts your point, danielost.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

A wedding chapel across the street from the court house should not be afford the same rights a church, no matter how stupid those rights are.

I'm never going to convince anyone in this thread and no one is going to be able to tell me that I'm wrong, cause I'm not. I think all religions should be stripped of their rights. They been bastions of ignorance and hatred masked behind "faith" for far too long.

what if it was a church across from city hall. it seems to me athiests don't mind the government pushing an agenda asa long as it thier agenda. but that leaves the door open for others to force their agendas on others to. all religions have agendas.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 2

what if it was a church across from city hall. it seems to me athiests don't mind the government pushing an agenda asa long as it thier agenda. but that leaves the door open for others to force their agendas on others to. all religions have agendas.

Still wouldn't care. Stand where you will, just know that you'll be standing on the wrong side of history.

I bet there is no religious affiliation with this place. I don't think non-discrimination ordinances would cover ordained licensed ministers of a church to perform same sex marriages. Same sex copulation and by association marriage, (only married people are allowed to have sex) is definitely against Abrahimic religions.

Still wouldn't care. Stand where you will, just know that you'll be standing on the wrong side of history.

Wow what a truly ignorant post/poster.

I have nothing against them getting married, but forcing someone against their will to preform said marriage is wrong/tyrannical.

• Like 5

If you had watched the documentary about medieval marriage that I watched last night then you would realize that it's likely that the only reason we have the traditional family structure that you were probably fortunate enough to grow up with is because of social norms developed and enforced on society by religion. You're welcome.

Wow what a truly ignorant post/poster.

I have nothing against them getting married, but forcing someone against their will to preform said marriage is wrong/tyrannical.

I'm sure the same remarks were made about having to preform inter racial marriages.

• Like 1