Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The bible code

jay123

I recently read "the bible code". Although i'm sceptic. It was certainly a good read.

But i have a question for anyone who is both christian and a believer in the bible Codes:

If the bible code Is realy predicting future events, doesn't that discredit the stories written in the bible? I mean, it'd be impossible to encode it with facts. You have to make a story up as to fit the code in at apropriate places.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stargazer123

• Guyver

• jay123

• SQLserver

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently read "the bible code". Although i'm sceptic. It was certainly a good read.

But i have a question for anyone who is both christian and a believer in the bible Codes:

If the bible code Is realy predicting future events, doesn't that discredit the stories written in the bible? I mean, it'd be impossible to encode it with facts. You have to make a story up as to fit the code in at apropriate places.

Do you know of any examples of Bible Codes conflicting with written prophecies? I don't know of any, but i am no expert on the codes. I know that in my regular study of the Bible, there are many levels to written passages. I wouldn't be suprised to learn the Bible codes are just one more layer. They were sure right on about the assassination of the former Israeli Prime Minister.

Do you know of any examples of Bible Codes conflicting with written prophecies? I don't know of any, but i am no expert on the codes. I know that in my regular study of the Bible, there are many levels to written passages. I wouldn't be suprised to learn the Bible codes are just one more layer. They were sure right on about the assassination of the former Israeli Prime Minister.

Yeah, the apparent acuracy of the code is suprising. Especialy The Yitzhak Rabin(sp?) Assasination Prophecy. The thing is, i can't read ancient hebrew. Neither do i have the means of decoding it myself. So i remain skeptical.

The point i'm trying to make is that atleast some of the bible must have been minupulated in order to compensate for the the code..Do you see what i mean?

I can't understand how someone can believe in both.

Yeah, the apparent acuracy of the code is suprising. Especialy The Yitzhak Rabin(sp?) Assasination Prophecy. The thing is, i can't read ancient hebrew. Neither do i have the means of decoding it myself. So i remain skeptical.

The point i'm trying to make is that atleast some of the bible must have been minupulated in order to compensate for the the code..Do you see what i mean?

I can't understand how someone can believe in both.

I partly see your point and partly not. I'm not sure why you would be confused. The earliest Hebrew manuscripts show remarkable continuity with today's Bibles. This fact is proven by the Dead Sea Scrolls. How would it be possible for someone in the past to manipulate the Bible text to reveal events in the future? That would be even more difficult than just making prophecies in the first place.

There are plenty of skeptics who feel that any book could be analyzed and produce codes. From what I've seen though, non of these so-called "false codes" make any reliable prophecies. It has been shown that the Bible Codes do show reliable prophecies. I think a person can believe in both.

As to the why? Maybe the plain text is for plain people and the Bible codes are for those skeptical, who need more proof of God's interactions with the scriptures. I'm just riffing here; I'm not saying I'm 110% sold on the Bible codes.

Almost as incredible is the Moby Dick Code!

Wow... i went from skeptical to complete skeptic at the click of a link.

:o

@guyver. What i'm saying is. To put a code in the bible, you'd need to minipulate words. You need to make bits up so they work alongside the code..

Edited by jay123

Yeah, well Pharoah's magicians made some snakes appear too. So yeah.....

The only one of SQL's that looks like a real code is the first one. And, we don't even know the parameters they used in obtaining those results. But what if they did? Just because you can copy something doesn't defray the original. An original Van Gogh is still worth some coin.

There is a bible code II also. Read them both. The odds of some of the sequences is astounding, however I still remain a skeptic. I'd have to see a prediction that comes true and not everything after the fact.

I read the Bible Code as written by Michael Drosnin. I am a skeptic myself but it was an interesting read based on the math it was when it took on a cult following and absolute ridiculousness that I was disenthralled. I would think if any of it were true at all it would not point towards God what so ever but towards more advanced life in the universe. Just my thoughts.

Edited by stargazer123

I partly see your point and partly not. I'm not sure why you would be confused. The earliest Hebrew manuscripts show remarkable continuity with today's Bibles. This fact is proven by the Dead Sea Scrolls. How would it be possible for someone in the past to manipulate the Bible text to reveal events in the future? That would be even more difficult than just making prophecies in the first place.

There are plenty of skeptics who feel that any book could be analyzed and produce codes. From what I've seen though, non of these so-called "false codes" make any reliable prophecies. It has been shown that the Bible Codes do show reliable prophecies. I think a person can believe in both.

As to the why? Maybe the plain text is for plain people and the Bible codes are for those skeptical, who need more proof of God's interactions with the scriptures. I'm just riffing here; I'm not saying I'm 110% sold on the Bible codes.

I'm curious though wouldn't you personally a believer in the bible believe that hidden messages would be cult like? That God does not hide messages? But is forth right and literal? You can't have your cake and eat it too can you?

I read the Bible Code as written by Michael Drosnin. I am a skeptic myself but it was an interesting read based on the math it was when it took on a cult following and absolute ridiculousness that I was disenthralled. I would think if any of it were true at all it would not point towards God what so ever but towards more advanced life in the universe. Just my thoughts.

I felt the exact same way.

It's easy to get caught up in the book, for a while i really felt like there might be somthing in it.

SQL's post blew any belief i had out of the water though.

If there were a code in the bible. I defintatly put it down to an advanced race before i thought about God.

I felt the exact same way.

It's easy to get caught up in the book, for a while i really felt like there might be somthing in it.

SQL's post blew any belief i had out of the water though.

If there were a code in the bible. I defintatly put it down to an advanced race before i thought about God.

I'm with ya. I'm more willing to believe in an advanced race than God. More likely to me some advanced race convinced people they were Gods than God resorting to such trivial things.

Edited by stargazer123

I'm curious though wouldn't you personally a believer in the bible believe that hidden messages would be cult like? That God does not hide messages? But is forth right and literal? You can't have your cake and eat it too can you?

IDK. I believe the Bible, I'm not sure about the codes. I think it would be great if they were true. Maybe there's some other type of code that we haven't discovered yet. I mean, the invention of the computer makes it possible to rapidly analyze all the data, but some guys were tapping into this a long time ago. But having your cake, eating it, adding some ice cream and not gaining too much weight - what's wrong with that?

The only one of SQL's that looks like a real code is the first one.

I actually agree, Guyver, some of the examples are stretching it. However, the idea in general holds firm. I hate to say it, but simply the people who found the "Moby Dick" code do not have the fanatical dedication of those who discovered the bible code. A few more years of pouring over Moby Dick pages and I bet they could find some more excellent examples.

Not to mention, other examples of this being done are available at the same link.

Cheers,

SQLserver

Yeah... I thought the Bible Code was a bit sketchy when I first got the book about it. Interesting but not right.

I found another code anyhows... though I think people have heard too much about secret ancient codes they aren't interested anymore.

Why on earth would God inspire his bible writers to write in code ?Doesn't he want us to understand it ? is he having a laugh at us ?The bible is supposed to be God's word for all men ,yet some are always telling us about hidden messages.different meanings.with no two agreeing what it means .I think it's balderdash

fullywired

Edited by fullywired

IDK. I believe the Bible, I'm not sure about the codes. I think it would be great if they were true. Maybe there's some other type of code that we haven't discovered yet. I mean, the invention of the computer makes it possible to rapidly analyze all the data, but some guys were tapping into this a long time ago. But having your cake, eating it, adding some ice cream and not gaining too much weight - what's wrong with that?

I was going to make a joke about fortune telling by numbers but I'll refrain. :rofl:

Nothing wrong with ice cream but with cake too much...I think they call it gluttony. :tu:

As I understand the Bible Codes, the technique would work on any large publication in any language. I've thought of doing the same thing with back issues of Playboy and publishing my own book: The Playboy Codes.

Doug

As I understand the Bible Codes, the technique would work on any large publication in any language. I've thought of doing the same thing with back issues of Playboy and publishing my own book: The Playboy Codes.

Doug

Yes and a lot on here would believe it and give you the status of a prophet

fullywired

If the bible code balderdash were true, and if the Torah was literally somehow handed by god to moses in the exact form it is today, it would make wonderful sense that god had encoded secret messages. However, I find many objections.

1. Why would these hidden messages be in English?

2. Why hasn't anyone predicted a single future event this way?

3. The Moby Dick prophecies are just as good. You could probably take any long book and make retroactive "predictions", but only after the fact.

If the bible code balderdash were true, and if the Torah was literally somehow handed by god to moses in the exact form it is today, it would make wonderful sense that god had encoded secret messages. However, I find many objections.

1. Why would these hidden messages be in English?

2. Why hasn't anyone predicted a single future event this way?

3. The Moby Dick prophecies are just as good. You could probably take any long book and make retroactive "predictions", but only after the fact.

The original bible code is not in English it is in Hebrew and taken from the Torah as the Torah is in Hebrew.

Supposedly there was a future event found that came to pass (the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin) and they tried to warn him prior to his assassination.

I don't know about the Moby Dick predictions. I don't know if they used the same system so can't make an opinion on that.

Why on earth would God inspire his bible writers to write in code ?Doesn't he want us to understand it ? is he having a laugh at us ?The bible is supposed to be God's word for all men ,yet some are always telling us about hidden messages.different meanings.with no two agreeing what it means .I think it's balderdash

fullywired

We rarely agree, FW. But I think this is one time I can say with confidence.... well said.

*caveat - I am not saying that the Bible is "easy" to understand. There are some tough concepts throughout, and not all who read it will be able to understand it all. Heck, I don't even understand it all and I've been reading it for close to ten years solidly. But there is nothing hidden in the sense of a Bible code, and I think it goes against the bible itself to suggest that one does exist.

Regards,