Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anything strange in southern New Mexico?

EveryManALion

So I am reading a book about cryptids/UFOs/Ghosts etc and there is SCARCELY any information on southern New Mexico besides the obvious Rosewell hat tip, I am curious, has anyone been driving or out hiking in the desert and seen anything strange or something you cannot explain?

I remember once I was up in the Organ mountains at night hiking around and I saw an old time lantern, flame and all, about 50-75 yards adjacent to me on the mountain swaying as it is was walking, as I called out, it kept walking, not closer nor farther from me, just walking. I started making my way towards it out of curiosity and about 15 yards away I shone my flashlight on it and it dissapeared, there was no vegetation to hide behind, no prints(this was on the side of a gravely outcrop on the mountain, should have been slide prints) and no general disturbance.

Anything strange ever happen to you as well?

• Like 1

A bunch of Ancestral Pueblon Natives vanished....and I mean a bunch, but that was in Chaco Canyon and due to a bunch of things happening all at once that caused the society to collapse and disburse.

• Like 1

A bunch of Ancestral Pueblon Natives vanished....and I mean a bunch, but that was in Chaco Canyon and due to a bunch of things happening all at once that caused the society to collapse and disburse.

Actually they didn't vanish. They moved on to different communities. The descendants still live today in the surrounding area. Hopi, Zuni, San Ildefonso, San Juan, Tewa, Tiwa, Acoma, Taos, Zia etc. Chaco Canyon is actually in the NW region of New Mexico in the Four Corners area now occupied by the Navajo. My tribe. I live about 20 miles from Chaco Canyon.

• Like 4

Actually they didn't vanish. They moved on to different communities. The descendants still live today in the surrounding area. Hopi, Zuni, San Ildefonso, San Juan, Tewa, Tiwa, Acoma, Taos, Zia etc. Chaco Canyon is actually in the NW region of New Mexico in the Four Corners area now occupied by the Navajo. My tribe. I live about 20 miles from Chaco Canyon.

When I saw Dine I knew Navajo....funny over the years I have meet dozens of people from the Navajo Nation and so few that speak enough Dine for me to get clear answers about the structure of the language (sure I could just read a book or 2 about it, but that is not what I really want).

As for my response I know about the dispersion and decline of the population. I just wanted to joke around with the nature of how vague the word mysteries is.

• Like 1

Most of the fluent native speakers don't leave the rez very often. We endure a lot of ridicule and derision over our "accent". I have had people tell me I sound stupid or ignorant. The people you met are probably boarding school educated and lost contact with their culture and language. Thank all that's holy we have school programs that teach the language to children. As to structure. Navajo language is learned through oral tradition. Very few Navajos can actually read the language. They wouldn't know structure in the way English first cultures do.

I can tell you the main difference between English and Diné bizaad is sentence structure. It's subject object verb as opposed to English which is subject verb object. Navajo follows the form of consonant vowel while English can have consonant consonant vowel and somtimes followed by more consonants. Now this is the very basics. I don't think I need to go into more detail.

• Like 1

It's subject object verb as opposed to English which is subject verb object. Navajo follows the form of consonant vowel while English can have consonant consonant vowel and somtimes followed by more consonants.

It sounds like Japanese so far, but without the Chinese letters. It's probably as far as the likeliness go though. :whistle:

• Like 2

When I saw Dine I knew Navajo....funny over the years I have meet dozens of people from the Navajo Nation and so few that speak enough Dine for me to get clear answers about the structure of the language (sure I could just read a book or 2 about it, but that is not what I really want).

As for my response I know about the dispersion and decline of the population. I just wanted to joke around with the nature of how vague the word mysteries is.

navajonow.com is a pretty good jumping off point if you want to start picking up the basics of Navajo. It has a really complex verb system, though.

• Like 1

San Lorenzo canyon. (Near Socorro)

We have camped there twice over the years, (my wife is a rock hound) and there is something strange going on there.

I call it the dead battery twilight zone.

Cell phone batteries that last for days elsewhere would go dead in a very short time period. Yes, I know that when a cell phone is looking for a signal it will impact battery life, but this is ridiculous. I was able to use the phones most of the time there.

Then there are our truck batteries. New batteries even with proven charging systems would fail in a matter of hours. It was during the late fall so it wasn't the desert heat.

Just a short drive back to town and everything was normal again.

To this day I don't have a clue about it.

Here is a video I found on you tube of the canyon, posting just for fun, (Not mine)

Edited by ZZ430