Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How a big cat roamed Britain a century ago

canadian lynx alien big cat

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,477 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

A new study has proved the carnivorous Canadian lynx roamed here at the turn of the 19th century after the beast's remains were unearthed in the vaults of a museum.

A team of scientists from four leading British universities said the find is the earliest example of an "alien big cat" in the country.

They analysed the creature's skeleton and mounted skin to uncover "concrete evidence" that exotic big cats lived here earlier than previously thought.

http://www.telegraph...entury-ago.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

In the laboratory, tests on the specimen's bones and teeth showed it had been kept in captivity long enough to develop severe tooth loss and plaque.
It then escaped or was deliberately released into the wild

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the likely story is it was brought here and kept as a pet and then (as above)  released or escaped, which is the most likely explanation for all the other big cats sighted, cos they sure are not native. But the roamed bit is not conclusive as it is not know how long it was free before it was shot, it may have been shot the next day or even same afternoon.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,353 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

So I see your headline on the upper right corner of my screen and my first thought was.... probably on all four paws. :P

I agree with Freetoroam's assessment of it being a released "pet".

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,477 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

More -

Big cat hunter: 'Every week I get reports'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...twitter_bbcnews

Posted Image

#5    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

If these big cats can survive in the wild in the UK given the opputunity they may also breed forming viable populations over the years and hide from human searchers.

#6    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Alien to the planet or the UK? Whichever knowing the rich as we do i'm sure they were keeping exotic pets from all 4 corners of the empire and i guess some escaped their cages and all wild cats are clever enuogh to keep their heads down so i'm sure they would've survived

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

View Postashven, on 27 April 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Alien to the planet or the UK? Whichever knowing the rich as we do i'm sure they were keeping exotic pets from all 4 corners of the empire and i guess some escaped their cages and all wild cats are clever enuogh to keep their heads down so i'm sure they would've survived
Thats without saying, but what surprises me about this story is a team of scientists from four leading British universities have been spent time on this! I would be more surprised if the rich did not bring in exotic pets at the time...or even earlier! The pets were not registered so how can they possible know for sure how long ago it started.?
I would say they are trying to prove that their fundings were worth the while.

Edited by freetoroam, 27 April 2013 - 07:23 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Are we talking LV 426 Alien cats????

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 27 April 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Are we talking LV 426 Alien cats????
I do not think the Xenomorphs had cats.

#10    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,739 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Where the heck is the Alien as in Extraterrestrial??
It is a foreign cat, not an alien one.

#11    kitty81

kitty81

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• you never know.. >'.'<

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

i  myself have seen big cats up in Leicestershire uk, i think, as has been said above, a cat was brought here, mulitplied, and so on.... x quite fascintin really x >'.'<

Kitty >'.'<

#12    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 27 April 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Where the heck is the Alien as in Extraterrestrial??
It is a foreign cat, not an alien one.
I think the third interpretation is what they mean.

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostWhiteWineKitty, on 27 April 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

i  myself have seen big cats up in Leicestershire uk, i think, as has been said above, a cat was brought here, mulitplied, and so on.... x quite fascintin really x >'.'<
The are many books on the subject and like yourself many have seen them. It has been an interest of many for many years. Just not sure why scientists are spending time on this when so many others have and what they have come out with here is not new, the remains were found in a museum, so who ever put it there knew about it.

#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,020 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 April 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Thats without saying, but what surprises me about this story is a team of scientists from four leading British universities have been spent time on this! I would be more surprised if the rich did not bring in exotic pets at the time...or even earlier! The pets were not registered so how can they possible know for sure how long ago it started.?
I would say they are trying to prove that their fundings were worth the while.

Many wild animals (including big cats) were brought to the British Isles by the Romans. There's been quite a few sightings in the countryside where I live and I can remember at least two 'strange' livestock killings.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postealdwita, on 28 April 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Many wild animals (including big cats) were brought to the British Isles by the Romans. There's been quite a few sightings in the countryside where I live and I can remember at least two 'strange' livestock killings.
Exactly, it seems the team of scientists from four leading British universities have missed this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users