Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drunk teen killed

Ashotep

A teenager who was shot and killed in Sterling, Virginia over the weekend may have accidentally entered the wrong home after a night of drinking.

Drunk teen shot and killed after friends drop him at wrong house

Authorities say he entered the house through the rear window. Not a good idea if its not your house but I think you should make sure someone is a real threat before you pull the trigger.

• Like 4

This is the problem I have with people defending their homes with a gun. Shoot first, ask questions later. Sometimes, it's not worth it. I guess some people are ok with shooting people like this and spending the rest of their lives telling themselves the guy could have had a gun and shot first.

Hypothetically he did have the gun and had malicious intentions to kill or maim people. You know your house better than he does, you would have the jump on him and you'd know where he probably is or where he could go.

• Like 1

This is the problem I have with people defending their homes with a gun. Shoot first, ask questions later. Sometimes, it's not worth it. I guess some people are ok with shooting people like this and spending the rest of their lives telling themselves the guy could have had a gun and shot first.

Hypothetically he did have the gun and had malicious intentions to kill or maim people. You know your house better than he does, you would have the jump on him and you'd know where he probably is or where he could go.

Sadly, if he hadn't been uber-drunk and broken into the wrong house, he would be alive. Something to be said about not going overly drunk... Its sad that the home owner had to do this, but it is not the home owners fault.

• Like 5

Sadly, if he hadn't been uber-drunk and broken into the wrong house, he would be alive. Something to be said about not going overly drunk... Its sad that the home owner had to do this, but it is not the home owners fault.

Like Orcseeker said, it's the "shoot first, ask questions later" coward-mentality that is the problem. That, and being dumb enough to get drunk in the first place. Both of them are idiotic.

Guns don't shoot themselves so I hold the home owner at fault. Should've asked the intruder what his intentions were.

• Like 1

Like Orcseeker said, it's the "shoot first, ask questions later" coward-mentality that is the problem. That, and being dumb enough to get drunk in the first place. Both of them are idiotic.

When your life (or your family or friends) is on the line, sometimes mistakes are made sadly. Oftentimes, especially when its dark, its hard to know if the person breaking in is armed, or what their intentions are. This man chose to protect himself (and his family and property, if he has one). It has nothing to do with a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. It has to do with survival. He did what he (thought) he had to do to keep his family/property safe. The fact it turned out to be a stupid drunk breaking into the wrong house is a moot point. He had no way of knowing that. All he knew was that there was a threat approaching and he did what he had to do to stop the threat and protect his family. Protecting himself and his family comes first (as it should).

That being said, 101% of the blame falls upon the drunk in this case.

~

Guns don't shoot themselves so I hold the home owner at fault. Should've asked the intruder what his intentions were.

That's a good way to get oneself killed. Not advocating opening fire at the slightest sound...but (again sadly), when it's dark, its hard to tell what the other person is doing. Would you risk your own life/your children and wife's life? It's so easy to say "he should have done x" when one is not there, watching the scene unfold. Eitherway its a tough and sad situation.

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 6

I can actually see both sides. You don't want to take a chance with someone killing your family. After all they are the one breaking into your house not the other way around. Then again you don't want to see some drunk entering the wrong house killed. What do you do?

He should of knocked on the front door instead of going through a window.

• Like 5

Yeah, I agree, its very easy to say what should have been done, but going on the information we have, I too see the home owner as at least partially to blame for this.

The homeowner has done what any normal person would have. I wouldn't take lightly to an intrusion within my own household.

• Like 6

Back window...Wrong house....65million gun purchases over past 4 years by Americans...Bad idea.

RIP drunk teen.

• Like 3

When your life (or your family or friends) is on the line, sometimes mistakes are made sadly. Oftentimes, especially when its dark, its hard to know if the person breaking in is armed, or what their intentions are. This man chose to protect himself (and his family and property, if he has one). It has nothing to do with a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. It has to do with survival. He did what he (thought) he had to do to keep his family/property safe. The fact it turned out to be a stupid drunk breaking into the wrong house is a moot point. He had no way of knowing that. All he knew was that there was a threat approaching and he did what he had to do to stop the threat and protect his family. Protecting himself and his family comes first (as it should).

That being said, 101% of the blame falls upon the drunk in this case.

That's a good way to get oneself killed. Not advocating opening fire at the slightest sound...but (again sadly), when it's dark, its hard to tell what the other person is doing. Would you risk your own life/your children and wife's life? It's so easy to say "he should have done x" when one is not there, watching the scene unfold. Eitherway its a tough and sad situation.

Sorry, I'd forgotten this took place at night. I understand it's easier to panic when you see this happen in the dark - and through a window at that. Just think the situation could have been defused positively considering the drunkard wasn't a psychopath wanting to kill the home owner.

People shouldn't even be allowed guns anyway. They're not defensive weapons.

• Like 1

Huh. Yeah, I guess hind-sight is 20/20.

But if someone was crawling through my window in the middle of the night, I have to be honest: the last thing I would think of is that he's an unarmed drunk at the wrong house.

And if there was my wife and children in the house, I think I would be ultra-protective. Not sure if I would shoot him, but I damn sure would at least hold him at gunpoint 'till the police arrived.

The problem is, though, I wouldn't know if there are more of them outside waiting to get in, so, maybe I would react violently.

I don't know. Never been in that situation and hope I never am.

• Like 8

People should not be allowed cars either they are not meant to be used as weapons,though irresponsible drivers kill thousands with them every year.

That barely even makes sense.

A car isn't intended to be a weapon. The only reason people shouldn't be allowed cars is because most pollute the environment.

My point stands: Guns aren't defensive weapons.

• Like 1

They most certainly can be used for defensive purposes.

• Like 3

That barely even makes sense.

A car isn't intended to be a weapon. The only reason people shouldn't be allowed cars is because most pollute the environment.

That barely makes sense.

If someone has a gun and is shooting at you and you have a gun to defend yourself back with,then exactly what do you define as being defensive?

It does not change the fact if it was itended to be a weapon or not several use them as weapons every year,it also does not change the fact that people die from them either.Just remember guns do not roam around in packs looking to hurt people :tu:

• Like 4

Guns aren't defensive weapons

In this case the homeowner used "self defense" with his weapon....whatever it may have been to protect his home and family. If it was not a self defense weapon then he would have been thrown in jail for murder.

The person that drives up on the sidewalk and runs down 20 people sure did use his car as a weapon.

Its not the object it is the individual behind it that decides the intent.

• Like 3

That barely makes sense.

If someone has a gun and is shooting at you and you have a gun to defend yourself back with,then exactly what do you define as being defensive?

It does not change the fact if it was itended to be a weapon or not several use them as weapons every year,it also does not change the fact that people die from them either.Just remember guns do not roam around in packs looking to hurt people :tu:

I made perfect sense. You misunderstand what the term "defensive weapon" means.

~

A sword, is a defensive weapon.

It's a weapon used to behead, impale and slay the enemy, all the while used to parry, to block, to defend it's wielder. ie: A defensive weapon.

A gun doesn't shield you against oncoming attacks, as a defensive weapon would. It can only be used to offend. ie: An offensive weapon.

Why do you think bulletproof vests exist?

• Like 1

Huh. Yeah, I guess hind-sight is 20/20.

But if someone was crawling through my window in the middle of the night, I have to be honest: the last thing I would think of is that he's an unarmed drunk at the wrong house.

And if there was my wife and children in the house, I think I would be ultra-protective. Not sure if I would shoot him, but I damn sure would at least hold him at gunpoint 'till the police arrived.

The problem is, though, I wouldn't know if there are more of them outside waiting to get in, so, maybe I would react violently.

I don't know. Never been in that situation and hope I never am.

I agree. When you have a family, you don't have the luxury of taking the chance that it might to NOT be a burgler. Like my daddy says: It's better to be judged by 12, then carried by six.

Also, this kid was in HIGH SCHOOL. If he's a minor, he's not supposed to be drinking. I have to ask where the parents are at. If I snuck out to go get drunk with friends when I was in high school, my daddy would have ripped me a new one, that's for sure!

• Like 5

~

It's a weapon used to behead, impale and slay the enemy, all the while used to parry, to block, to defend it's wielder. ie: A defensive weapon.

A gun doesn't shield you against oncoming attacks, as a defensive weapon would. It can only be used to offend. ie: An offensive weapon.

That's just like saying a sword is an offensive weapon only. Why do you think body armor existed?

• Like 1

~

We do not live in feudal japan though,terms for defending ones self have changed.Bullet proof vest are not easy to get by most civilians,so shooting back is your best defense.

• Like 1

A car most certainly can be used as a weapon. Just ask the guy in the Carrie Underwood Music video, "Two Black Cadallics." :yes:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Kowalski

We do not live in feudal japan though,terms for defending ones self have changed.Bullet proof vest are not easy to get by most civilians,so shooting back is your best defense.

Makes no difference. Maybe you twisted the definition for "defensive/offensive" weapons in America, but the rest of the world still uses it.

And so what if bulletproof vests aren't easy to obtain, they were still invented to provide something a gun cannot - A means of defence.

• Like 2

A car most certainly be used as a weapon. Just ask the guy in the Carrie Underwood Music video, "Two Black Cadallics." :yes:

I didn't say a car couldn't be used as a weapon. I said they were not designed with the intention to be used as weapons, which they weren't. They are designed as a mode of transportation.

• Like 2

Makes no difference. Maybe you twisted the definition for "defensive/offensive" weapons in America, but the rest of the world still uses it.

And so what if bulletproof vests aren't easy to obtain, they were still invented to provide something a gun cannot - A means of defence.

Ok that is why most of the world has standing armies to defend themselves.I never knew the UK soldiers just went out with shields to deflect bullets in WW2 must be why the US was called in.All makes sense now thanks for the riveting definition of the word defensive today.You have really opened my eyes :w00t:

• Like 2

So, were guns invented for hunting or were they invented to keep a bear from killing you?

• Like 2