Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dead tourist devoured by vultures after fall

griffon vultures pic de pista tourist pyrenees

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,908 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

The body of a 52-year-old woman who fell to her death in the Pyrenees was devoured by Griffon vultures before emergency services were able to retrieve it.

Furious locals are demanding that authorities take action against the endangered carrion-eaters after they left only the woman's bones, clothes and shoes for burial.

Fear of the birds has been growing in recent years, which have reportedly also begun attacking live animals since a European edict that dead livestock must not be left in the fields.

http://www.dailymail...d-VULTURES.html

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

This is what these birds do! I don't imagine they are sitting around saying, "Well George, do you think they're going to come pick up the body or is it safe to eat?"

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    shrooma

shrooma

.goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

• 2,972 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

I kinda wouldn't mind if that happened to me. apart from the fact that i'm a registered organ donor, i'd rather my body was recycled in that way, giving life to some animals rather than just rotting away underground, or being burned to ash!
the monks in tibet lay corpses out to be consumed, as a kind of 'cycle of life' thing, and I think that's very commendable of them!
:-)

Edited by shrooma, 06 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,216 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Poor vultures, they are just doing their job in the natural order of things.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Wonder if lack of food is why these birds are eating animals alive.  Hope the woman wasn't still alive when they started in on her.

Edited by Hilander, 06 May 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#6    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,972 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostHilander, on 06 May 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wonder if lack of food is why these birds are eating animals alive.
I wouldn't be so sure that they are hilander.
vultures are notorious carrion-eaters, very ungainly birds, not really equipt to hunt, and I can't really see 'em swooping down out of the sky enmasse, and having it away with cows, can you?
the people making the claims are probably farmers, and we all know how much european farmers love their EU subsidies.....
;-)

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, if they attacked a living person, they wouldn't be called carrions, they'd be raptors.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,660 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

"Patience my ****, I'm gonna kill something!"

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

as long as they didn't start eating before I was fully dead and gone, I'd rather be eaten by a vulture than pumped full of formaldehyde and buried next to everyone else.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,309 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Fear of the birds has been growing in recent years, which have reportedly also begun attacking live animals since a European edict that dead livestock must not be left in the fields.

Farmers want to be given the right to shoot the protected birds, which they say have started to prey on live sheep and cows.

-------------------------------------------------------

How about instead of killing the birds, they leave them out some dead livestock?

The locals are just using this womans death as an excuse to kill the birds, the woman was a tourist and fell 1000ft, can`t blame the birds for that!

Edited by freetoroam, 06 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,972 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postealdwita, on 06 May 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

"Patience my ****, I'm gonna kill something!"

:-D
:-D

#12    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Had a death in the family recently and was just thinking about the pros and cons of Burial vs Cremation. Hadn't thought of being eaten by vultures... still, you don't feel anything, your gone. It only matters to the living.

Posted Image

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,660 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 06 May 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Had a death in the family recently and was just thinking about the pros and cons of Burial vs Cremation. Hadn't thought of being eaten by vultures... still, you don't feel anything, your gone. It only matters to the living.

In fact, being eaten by worms or predators gives nutrients back to the world. By being cremated, you shuffle off this mortal coil in a thin plume of greasy smoke!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#14    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Farmers want to be given the right to shoot the protected birds, which they say have started to prey on live sheep and cows.

-------------------------------------------------------

How about instead of killing the birds, they leave them out some dead livestock?

The locals are just using this womans death as an excuse to kill the birds, the woman was a tourist and fell 1000ft, can`t blame the birds for that!

I visited the Yorkshire Dales Falconry Centre in 2010 and the centre is surrounded by livestock. And these birds are allowed to fly freely. While all the birds are well-fed, the carrion birds are especially so whenever the sheep are giving birth. The owners allow the birds to eat the afterbirth and any still births. I'm sure whenever an adult dies, they are given to the carrion birds as well. :tu:

I agree that the locals are using the woman's death as an excuse to get rid of the birds. They are merely doing what comes naturally.

#15    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,760 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

We have upset the balance. It won't be long before the vultures have plenty of dead humans to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users