Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone recognize this symbol?

RandomPerson

Thanks lightly.

I've seen that one before. It is very similar, but it lacks the dot in the lower right corner. Might be that the symbol I've seen is a variation of the Rod of Ascleipus, but I haven't found one with the aforementioned dot. That is why I am slightly sceptical to that interpretation.

Edited by RandomPerson

I don't want to be too specific, but can say that it was depicted on a wall in a house in Australia.

Um... An abandoned house, house of worship, house occupied by living people? Out in the boonies, in the middle of town or in a bad neighborhood where people spraypaint buildings? Inside or outside the house?

You don't need to get specific on exactly where the house is, but that kind of information is helpful too.

• Like 1

And old and abandoned house out in the countryside. It is inside the house.

If the house is haunted? I don't believe in such things, but I am not as sure as I used to be.

It does look like the Rod of Asclepius.

Any chance of getting an actual photo of it?

For what it's worth, the rod is often associated with medicine and healing. You sometimes see it on the logo of medical or pharmacy companies, on medical products, etc. Don't know if that's relevant.

Don't have a picture I can share.

So there is nothing "bad" about this symbol? Why would a person paint it inside a house?

Don't have a picture I can share.

So there is nothing "bad" about this symbol? Why would a person paint it inside a house?

Who knows. You find all sorts of weird stuff inside old abandoned buildings. When I was young I knew a guy who liked to spray paint pentagrams and made up occult looking stuff on building sites and abandoned buildings when we'd be out urban exploring. He just thought it would freak people out thinking that Satanists or cult members had been performing rituals there.

I also remember a castle near where I used to go to school, finding pentagrams and other symbols burned into the grass on a few occasions. My best guess is like my friend above, bored teenagers doing it for a laugh.

• Like 3

it can be a 'signature' or symbol among those that identify 'angels... Seems to be. I see symbols like this in a book of high magic; I am in doubt if I saw this symbol in Dogma and Ritual of High Magic - (by Eliphas Levi) or in the Treatise Elementary Practice Magic - (by Papus). I have the two books and will search in them. These symbols are used in invocations in magical operations. I come back soon.

Edited by Ligia Cabus
  • Like 1

If there's nothing bad about it, it could be a symbol of protection.

Thanks Ligia Cabus. I look forward to hearing from you. If you find something that fits, please explain the meaning and context of this symbol.

If there's nothing bad about it, it could be a symbol of protection.

Yes, indeed. But what would the person need protection from?

Their own rampant paranoia?

Since its an abandoned house I'd guess most likely a vagrant, maybe one who stayed a few nights there, possibility of metnal illness: high, possibility of beleif in supernatural: high, most likely? Paranoid hobo, or teenager graffeetting

• Like 3

I have not found a match for your petroglyph, but I'm pretty certain I can make some educated guesses.

1. I'm betting the glyph was drawn rather than spray painted.
  2. From the description of the area, I would ask the local Aborigines for help in identifying the petroglyph.

I believe you are right that the dot in the lower right corner has some meaning.

The serpent or snake, and the tree of life are common in Native American glyphs from the southwest; but I highly doubt that this would appear with the same meaning in Australia.

Thanks lightly.

I've seen that one before. It is very similar, but it lacks the dot in the lower right corner. Might be that the symbol I've seen is a variation of the Rod of Ascleipus, but I haven't found one with the aforementioned dot. That is why I am slightly sceptical to that interpretation.

Right. Sometimes a dot can represent God... as Bast said, maybe it could be a protective symbol? I'm just guessing, I'm also guessing that the rod of Asclepius symbol is based on much older symbology ?

I have not found a match for your petroglyph, but I'm pretty certain I can make some educated guesses.

What makes you think it's a petroglyph? Isn't petroglyph the name used for writing that's carved directly into rock?

No point in assigning sciency sounding terms for something that we only have an MS Paint drawing of which was found in an abandoned house and which for all we know could be the drunken scrawlings of a teenager.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

Take the simplest explanation first guys and gals. If the symbol appeared in Australia, look to the local culture for meaning first, not what European or American cultures place upon similar symbols. That was precisely why I did not try to apply Native American meaning to the glyph.

Assuming the house is in the middle of nowhere, it would not be unheard of for the locals to find and enter the place, maybe stay long enough to draw something.

Were there any other markings in the same or nearby rooms? Context could hold the key to identification.

Edited by Kahn

What makes you think it's a petroglyph? Isn't petroglyph the name used for writing that's carved directly into rock?

No point in assigning sciency sounding terms for something that we only have an MS Paint drawing of which was found in an abandoned house and which for all we know could be the drunken scrawlings of a teenager.

True, but you have to ask yourself, "Why that symbol?" People only draw that with which they are familiar with (i.e. seen or have been taught). You could argue that they "created" the shape, but again this devolves into combinations of shapes that are familiar to the artist. You point out a perfect example in the guy that drew "pentagrams and made up occult looking stuff" in buildings. He drew symbols that would invoke a meaning in the viewer, not some random garbage that would not convey meaning.

Yeah, but Australia has a somewhat large population of European origin....

Also, though I haven't been able to find it yet, it reminds me of some symbols I've seen in the Western magical tradition. It has a definite Hermetic/Alchemical/Ceremonial vibe.

• Like 1