Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

What is modern music lacking

music

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#91    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

REAL MUSICIANS. :tu:

#92    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostHarlequin Dreamer, on 12 October 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

REAL MUSICIANS. :tu:

Does seem to be more about image than talent these days.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#93    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,152 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Spandex / leather / hair , drummer, guitarist, bass, and vocals....All 4 ( or 5 ) writing the songs, not someone else.

That is what is missing.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#94    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 12 October 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Does seem to be more about image than talent these days.....
I personally prefer rock/blues but most of the music for the last 20 years is cRAP I'm sorry to say well at least 85% anyway.

#95    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

What is modern music lacking,thats an easy one.TALENT!!!! I feel if that you dont have talent find another occupation,and to all those people that think they got talent get a second opinion or a third and if you have to get other opinions then just stick to your day job and quit putting out the trash they come up with. Not everybody that puts out music or a song has talent but All I hear are stupid songs like snoop dogs "Drop it Like it's hot" Very stupid song and it shows that his music writting is poor.it went down hill very fast,I only mentioned him as an example,No one cares anymore what kinds of music is put out.too many people in it for the Money,even if it is a Loser Song it still gets put out because it is allready paid for.the last good music came out in the early to mid 90's after that nothing but trash.

#96    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Most of the artists you guys are saying don't exist anymore, do, and many still make new songs and albums. I don't get you guys.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#97    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

View Post_Only, on 12 October 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Most of the artists you guys are saying don't exist anymore, do, and many still make new songs and albums. I don't get you guys.
Thats okay they probably dont get you either. lol :tu:

#98    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

True, but unfortunately many of them now play at county fairs and local bars instead of the big venues......there are exceptions though.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#99    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,152 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

And I have them all !  :st

Great Whites newest, Kingdom Come, Manowar, etc... I still follow them, and listen to their new stuff.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#100    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,806 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

I never explain myself well, so feel free to "Huh?"

I think there are a lot of great singers, today. Just from an "Okay, she/he can sing."

But there is that certain something that seems rarer these days. I think the rawness and determination and imagination and work ethic that came with the beginnings of rock isn't easily replicated today. There was a whole different climate and the musicians seemed different and their driving force seemed different and the drugs were different too (I'm guessing).

Maybe the market is just so much more saturated today it would have been somewhat similar 50 years ago if the population had had the same opportunities, market, "head" hunters, talent shows, etc.

I know, I know "Huh?"

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 October 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#101    John Rayne

John Rayne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Joseph Campbell - “Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved”

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 13 October 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

I never explain myself well, so feel free to "Huh?"

I think there are a lot of great singers, today. Just from an "Okay, she/he can sing."

But there is that certain something that seems rarer these days. I think the rawness and determination and imagination and work ethic that came with the beginnings of rock isn't easily replicated today. There was a whole different climate and the musicians seemed different and their driving force seemed different and the drugs were different too (I'm guessing).

Maybe the market is just so much more saturated today it would have been somewhat similar 50 years ago if the population had had the same opportunities, market, "head" hunters, talent shows, etc.

I know, I know "Huh?"

Along those lines, I think it is hard to get motivated and really "feel" a song someone else wrote, which is most of today's music, someone else writing the music.  There isn't the connection from within expressed.
Also, when under contract an artist has to do certain things and if you don't feel it then it shows very clearly in the performance/recording...

#102    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,806 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

I'll also add my personal bias and prejudice that there were incredible voices and musicians in years past. I just don't see similar anywhere today with most new talent. But I am no music expert, by far.

#103    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostSakari, on 13 October 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Great Whites newest...

Aw, I wrote out a reply amazed that you had heard of this band, then realized it was Great White you said, and not White Lion. Oh well, it got me to find the video of Little Fighter on YouTube again. Always good for a laugh at the pro wrestling style spandex, cheesy dance moves, and awesome guitar solo (in my top 5 of all time). You'd probably like it, too. They're an obscure band that should have been bigger.

Edited by _Only, 13 October 2012 - 04:22 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#104    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,152 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

View Post_Only, on 13 October 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Aw, I wrote out a reply amazed that you had heard of this band, then realized it was Great White you said, and not White Lion. Oh well, it got me to find the video of Little Fighter on YouTube again. Always good for a laugh at the pro wrestling style spandex, cheesy dance moves, and awesome guitar solo (in my top 5 of all time). You'd probably like it, too. They're an obscure band that should have been bigger.

Oh yes, saw them live :)    ( I believe every 80's band there was I saw live....I was like Mark Wahlberg in " Rock Star ", only no talent or looks....Concerts yes.

They are in my collection also.... :tu:

Edited by Sakari, 13 October 2012 - 04:37 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#105    Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

This topic began with the OP saying the number one 'rotten thing' about moden music was the lack of reference to soul stealing (I won't get into all that because... wow). But the UM crowd has morphed the conversation into an intelligent debate about the pros and cons of modern music. That's nifty, I'm starting to like this place.

As for the tunes, I'm in the same boat as Taun... I'm an older guy and the tunes aren't mad for me, they're made for young people. That's just natural because they're at the point in their lives where music is very important to them for all sorts of reasons. And each generation holds dear the tunes from their youth, that's to be expected. But I hate to hear so many people say there's nothing good happening anymore. I'm often pretty out of the loop musically, but every few years I make an effort to throw myself back INTO the loop. There's lots of crap but that's always been the case. Thing is... there's also ALWAYS some new tune or group that just rocks me like crazy. Every time. Never fails. Even though the stuff's written for a much younger group of listeners. So for anyone who isn't open to newer tunes, all I can say is you're missing out on a lot of fun.

And to the OP... please rejoin the conversation, I promise I won't swipe your soul. Like... totally won't.

Also tagged with music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users