Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge Nuclear Fusion Project Underway

UM-Bot

China and the US are officially joining the largest international science project of the next decade - excepting the International Space Station. The project is the latest stage in the quest to develop fusion power - the energy source of the Sun and other stars.

Advocates say it could be cheap and environmentally friendly, though very expensive and time-consuming to develop.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• UM-Bot

• Kira

• j6p

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is certainly excellent news, Nuclear Fusion is the ultimate power source - abundant, clean and capable of providing huge amounts of energy. Fusion power could allow food to be grown anywhere in the world, power spacecraft and much much more.

A very worthy international project, that if successful, could change our world forever.

That's certainly good news right now

in light of all that's going on. And within the

next ten years, a reasonable amount of time.

It costs a lot but it will pay off in the future! yay!

The thing is though although v expensive to start with it will pay for itself within a few years making it so very easy for third world contries and people in far flung areas to have cheap and readily available power smile.gif

I'm a dinosaur---I like the idea of solar panels. The idea always intrigued me, getting an inert object and having it convert solar power into electricity. When I read this post I went to a site that sells solar panels. I did a quick calculation and if the panels were bought "retail", for 5 billion you can get enough panels to produce over 11 million watts. Thats not anywhere near what a fusion reactor could produce but its forever with no fuel and no moving parts to wear out, thats the part that I like. But for the time being, anything is better than burning fossil fuels, punching holes in the earth polluting the environment and fighting over. Go for it. smile.gif