Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

America Unearthed

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,408 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostLost Knowledge, on 30 December 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

The problem I have with this is that mounds in the US easily predate the existence of the Mayans. For example, Poverty Point in Louisiana contains at least six earthen mounds that date between 1650 BC and 700 BC, long before the Mayans ever came around.

Watson Brake, another archaeological site in Louisiana, is even older. It is considered the earliest mound complex in North America, dating back to 3500 BC.

If there is a connection between the Mississippian mound builders and the Mayans, I think it is more likely that there was sustained trade and cultural contact between the two groups, but one didn't birth the other. The transfer of ideas, beliefs, art, and tools through trade could explain the apparent similarities between the two cultures. They are after all, not very far apart.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Poverty_point
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Watson_Brake

I know those links are from Wikipedia, but Wiki is great for basic info gathering.
Perhaps that means the culture of the Mayans came down to Mexico by way of Louisiana?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,408 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostLostWorlds, on 29 December 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

When the first Spanish entered Florida they found three groups of people living around Lake Okeechobee: Mayaimi, Mayaka, and Mayayuaka. Just north of Lake Okeechobee they entered a province named Ocala and found two groups living there. One named Potani and the other named Uqueten.

Thus there were people called Maya living around Lake Okeechobee. And there was a province called Ocala with tribes named Potani and Uqueten living in Florida just as there was a province called Acala with tribes named Poton and Yokot'an living in it in Mexico.

But, might not those people be a left over of colonization, and not the result of migration?

Also couldn't it be a matter of reusing historic names? Atlanta Georgia has nothing to do with Atlantis, but the names are similar.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#33    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,087 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 31 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Perhaps that means the culture of the Mayans came down to Mexico by way of Louisiana?
I don't know about that, but it made me flash on what the Aztec said about their original home - Aztlan.
It was an island surrounded by swamp.

Sounds like the Bayou to me! LOL

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#34    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

The problem I have with this is that mounds in the US easily predate the existence of the Mayans. For example, Poverty Point in Louisiana contains at least six earthen mounds that date between 1650 BC and 700 BC, long before the Mayans ever came around.

Watson Brake, another archaeological site in Louisiana, is even older. It is considered the earliest mound complex in North America, dating back to 3500 BC.

If there is a connection between the Mississippian mound builders and the Mayans, I think it is more likely that there was sustained trade and cultural contact between the two groups, but one didn't birth the other. The transfer of ideas, beliefs, art, and tools through trade could explain the apparent similarities between the two cultures. They are after all, not very far apart.

I know those links are from Wikipedia, but Wiki is great for basic info gathering.

Heh, I found your other website, Lost Knowledge:

http://therealmayanp...c/#.UOGDl6whZag

Someone in another forum here (Astronomy) suggested that the Maya Calendar may have started with the sighting of some comet, and when I googled I ended up on that site.

#35    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,305 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Lost Knowledge,  Good to have you here.    "Sustained  contact"    .. i like that.  I suppose the peopling of the Americas  was a much more complex and multi directional process than is currently fully understood  ?   With people moving back and forth in all directions?    Cultures must have changed in TIME as cultures do.  Basically the same people could have become known by different names ,  then and now,  as  cultures changed   and moved about ?  
     The difference between an 'Olmec'  and a 'Mayan' might be, more than anything else, .. time?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#36    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,458 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for all the input about a television show.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#37    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,305 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Sorry we wondered off TOPIC Lady Kasey...  it seems that's what we do as interesting ideas are interjected and interesting facts are exchanged.   I didn't see the show myself.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#38    Lost Knowledge

Lost Knowledge

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postlightly, on 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Thanks Lost Knowledge,  Good to have you here. "Sustained  contact" .. i like that.  I suppose the peopling of the Americas  was a much more complex and multi directional process than is currently fully understood  ?   With people moving back and forth in all directions? Cultures must have changed in TIME as cultures do.  Basically the same people could have become known by different names ,  then and now,  as  cultures changed   and moved about ?  
The difference between an 'Olmec'  and a 'Mayan' might be, more than anything else, .. time?

Absolutely. There is so much we don't know about the ancient history of the Americas because of the lack of a historical record. For example, just look at how complex the barbarian migrations of bronze age Europe were. I have no doubt that we have a simplified understanding of the settling and migrations of ancient America.

View PostAbramelin, on 31 December 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Heh, I found your other website, Lost Knowledge:

http://therealmayanp...c/#.UOGDl6whZag

Someone in another forum here (Astronomy) suggested that the Maya Calendar may have started with the sighting of some comet, and when I googled I ended up on that site.

Thanks for the link. I was mostly referring to the start of Mayan civilization, the beginnings of the Mayan culture and people could be much older. I just have doubts that they started the Mound Builder culture or vice versa.

View PostLady Kasey, on 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Thanks for all the input about a television show.

Sorry, I can get caught up in an interesting topic sometimes. :unsure2:

I've seen both episodes so far and I treat it the same way I treat shows like Ancient Aliens. I watch them to learn new interesting ideas, theories, etc. that I hadn't heard before, but it can be hard to take seriously sometimes (that music!).

Edited by Lost Knowledge, 31 December 2012 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users