Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cristina Kirchner is back again

Space Commander Travis

Argentina's president has called on the UK government to hand over the Falkland Islands, in an open letter printed in British newspapers.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner urges David Cameron to abide by a 1965 UN resolution to "negotiate a solution" over the islands.

The letter says they were forcibly stripped from Argentina in "a blatant exercise of 19th-century colonialism".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20896050

:passifier:

Right, and when Argentina occupied them in the first place, that wasn't Colonialism, of course. They were hardly the native population, were they.. in fact, the French have more of a claim than the Argentinians do.

and will the British answer be two words long, the second word being"off"?

• Like 1

She is doing it because to get people to stop protesting against her government

... so will David Cameroon start sending letters to China demanding that they hand Hong Kong back ....? :innocent:

or perhaps, since the Americans don't seem to have made a very good job of it, he ought to send a letter to the Washington Post demanding that the Colonies be handed back...

exactly. Argentina is in dire financial trouble domestically and internationally. just like the Junta in the 1981 - 82 she wants to deflect public attention away from her failed politics.

Argentina as been using underhand tactics which have increased in recent months such as banning all ships from docking at their main port, if the ship as any connection to the UK such as flying the British flag or White/Red Ensign and lets remember less than two years ago the South American trading bloc Mercosur of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay – decided to shut its ports to ships flying the Falklands flag.

as witnessed four months ago when P&O cruises found to their cost. - 'P&O, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation Plc and one of the world’s leading cruise operators will be omitting Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Buenos Aires from its 2013 season because of the difficulties encountered by its red ensign vessels in Argentine ports during recent months. However the company confirms that the vessels will continue to call in the Falkland Islands.

The United Kingdom need to play it cool but leaving them in no doubt of our stance. i wonder how much this has to do the current oil exploration in the Falklands waters.

If this leads to Argentina taking military action like they did last time, when they invaded British Sovereign Territory the United Kingdom should next time use a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach.

What should await them next time if they are foolish enough.

[media=]

[/media]

... so will David Cameroon start sending letters to China demanding that they hand Hong Kong back ....? :innocent:

or perhaps, since the Americans don't seem to have made a very good job of it, he ought to send a letter to the Washington Post demanding that the Colonies be handed back...

Um hong kong was Chinese and America was Native American....

• Like 1

Cameron has said that the Falklanders will determine their own fate in the upcoming referendum:

'The future of the Falkland Islands should be determined by the Falkland Islanders themselves, the people who live there,' he said.

'Whenever they have been asked their opinion, they say they want to maintain their current status with the United Kingdom.

'They're holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland Islanders to choose their future, and as long as they choose to stay with the United Kingdom they have my 100% backing.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256369/Argentina-accuses-UK-colonialism-holding-Falkland-Islands.html#ixzz2GvyETvS8

Argentina's president has called on the UK government to hand over the Falkland Islands, in an open letter printed in British newspapers.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner urges David Cameron to abide by a 1965 UN resolution to "negotiate a solution" over the islands.

The letter says they were forcibly stripped from Argentina in "a blatant exercise of 19th-century colonialism".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20896050

:passifier:

Right, and when Argentina occupied them in the first place, that wasn't Colonialism, of course. They were hardly the native population, were they.. in fact, the French have more of a claim than the Argentinians do.

Spain, France and Britain have owned those islands Argentina has not. It has no legal right under international law to claim old Spannish colonies as its own. Argentina is a terrorist state.

Enough of the messing around lets go sink some of their ships and only stop when they agree to shut up, apologise and go away.

Spain, France and Britain have owned those islands Argentina has not. It has no legal right under international law to claim old Spannish colonies as its own. Argentina is a terrorist state.

Enough of the messing around lets go sink some of their ships and only stop when they agree to shut up, apologise and go away.

oh dear....

Um hong kong was Chinese and America was Native American....

Agreed, but in the case of my beloved Hong Kong, New Year's Day this year marked the 15th.anniversary of the end of British administration there and thousands of its citizens came out on to the streets to demonstrate against the Chinese Government. Guess whose flag many of the demonstrators were waving! It's not the only former colony that's realised that perhaps life under the 'British yoke' wasn't quite so bad after all!

• Like 1

Agreed, but in the case of my beloved Hong Kong, New Year's Day this year marked the 15th.anniversary of the end of British administration there and thousands of its citizens came out on to the streets to demonstrate against the Chinese Government. Guess whose flag many of the demonstrators were waving! It's not the only former colony that's realised that perhaps life under the 'British yoke' wasn't quite so bad after all!

Umm.. Wrong! The island of Hong Kong was ceded to the UK in perpetuity... it was only the New Territories that were were leased from China - however, the UK Govt at the time (conservative) decided to give back the Island as well. So, Sovereignty over one foreign posession was handed over to a foreign govt (against the local populations wishes) but for for some curious reason, the Falklands seems to be A "special" case... :blink:

Be interesting to see how they spin things when the Islanders vote for British rule, which they likely will.

simple, they'll blame MI5.

Umm.. Wrong! The island of Hong Kong was ceded to the UK in perpetuity... it was only the New Territories that were were leased from China - however, the UK Govt at the time (conservative) decided to give back the Island as well. So, Sovereignty over one foreign posession was handed over to a foreign govt (against the local populations wishes) but for for some curious reason, the Falklands seems to be A "special" case... :blink:

Sorry, are you saying that because it wasn't actually right to hand over Hong Kong, then that means that the Falklands should be?

documentary on the Falklands war 1982. might be of interest to some.

stevewinn, Mr. Right Wing, dont get much hopes of using "a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach". Our armed forces are a shadow of a shadow thanks to Cristina and her late husband.

stevewinn, Mr. Right Wing, dont get much hopes of using "a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach". Our armed forces are a shadow of a shadow thanks to Cristina and her late husband.

Yes i've seen pieces on the state of the argentine military, due to financial cuts. such as your navy spent a total of 14 days at sea last year, and your sub's only doing training for four weeks. so with that in mind and the islands better protected, 1200 troops, Four Euro Fighters, and Anti Aircraft missiles i dont think we'll see a repeat of last time. but who knows what the future holds. the Argentine people are not going to let the issue drop, so it'll always be a political issue.

I cant remember the date but in the near future the Falkland Islanders according to the prime minister are going to hold a referendum on their relationship with us. IE do they want to remain British. - if as we expect the Islanders voting to remain British. will the people of Argentina accept that? and let the issue drop and the government stop with their underhand tactics in a bid to damage the falkland .Is economy?

Mekorig, when you was in school what was the teaching on the Falklands?

At the end of the day lets hope common sense prevails and we get along,

Edited by stevewinn

When we look at the history of the Falkland Islands we discover that originally there was no native population. Britain was the first to establish a colony there followed by the French and Spanish. Britain took full control before Argentina even existed as a country. How then do you have a claim?

When it comes to the Falklands War your country invaded the islands against international law and without a legal claim to the territory. The conflict led to the deaths of 3 civilians, a few hundred British troops and the loss of many naval vessels. Do you understand the resentment such actions caused in the UK?

I personally find Argentina demanding the Falkland Islands once again to be insulting. I have nothing against you as a person and I think the loss of life should be kept to a minimum but I do think Britain should settle this once and for all. That means no peace treaty until Argentina apologies, publically accepts it has no claim and signs international treaties to that effect.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Yes, i care about the Malvinas (Falklands). As you may be aware, both sides have diferents versions of the history. I think the islands are part of our territory, the UK in its imperial era have the habit of taking territories here and there (heck, they tried to invade Buenos Aires twice, both time repelled). The thing is, you have british population living there for more than one hundred years there, so the situation is far more delicate and complex that our leaders (both sides) wants to belive.

The Malvinas/Falklands situation is followed by other countries because of the diplomatical and legal implications if an agreedments, or other outcome is reached, for example, Spain with Gibraltar. My personal opinion is that both leaderships want to mantain the status quo, the current situation benefits goth goverments to distract people from their internal problems, and serves to fuel idiotic nationalism.

Yes, i care about the Malvinas (Falklands). As you may be aware, both sides have diferents versions of the history. I think the islands are part of our territory, the UK in its imperial era have the habit of taking territories here and there (heck, they tried to invade Buenos Aires twice, both time repelled). The thing is, you have british population living there for more than one hundred years there, so the situation is far more delicate and complex that our leaders (both sides) wants to belive.

The Malvinas/Falklands situation is followed by other countries because of the diplomatical and legal implications if an agreedments, or other outcome is reached, for example, Spain with Gibraltar. My personal opinion is that both leaderships want to mantain the status quo, the current situation benefits goth goverments to distract people from their internal problems, and serves to fuel idiotic nationalism.

Well in that case it should belong to Spain.

The Falkland Islands were unpopulated so its different from going around annexing others land. They have never been owned by Argentina either and were British before your country existed. You're using Spains claim (which is now weak) as your own which is invalid. A straight question is it really just about the oil?

If Argentina is hoping for a slice of the oil then why would Britain give you some not only after you've tried taking them by force once but now try to demand them by applying diplomatic pressure? A more sensible strategy would be to make friends with us, repair the damaged relationship, earn our respect and then ask if you can bid for some of the drilling rights.

Britain isnt the kind of country that lets itself be pushed around and has a long history of seeing off nations which try it on. We are also fair, cooperative and look after our friends. Thats why Norway drills for oil with us in the North Sea and why France now has some of BPs claims in Libya.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

whatever people do be careful in the use of wiki as a source its being edited beyond recognition. just look at the dates for the revision of the Falklands wiki page. this is the downside to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Falkland_Islands&action=history

Mekorig, what is your version of history? -

you know, we could just listen to the locals and ... ohh look, they wsnt to be British.

Problem solved.

• Like 2

Be interesting to see how they spin things when the Islanders vote for British rule, which they likely will.

My reckoning is that around 99% of the Falklanders will vote to stay British, just as the Gibraltareans did a few years ago.

But what gets me is that Cameron is telling the Argies that the Falklanders will, in a referendum, determine their own national destiny yet, at the same time, he is still refusing to give the British people the EU in/out referendum that the majority of us want.

• Like 1