Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will hoverboards be a reality by 2015 ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,062 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Fans of the 'Back to the Future' movies are looking to the future for the advent of the hoverboard.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation said:

Randall Munroe, the creator of the webcomic xkcd, also known as "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math and language", came up with a plan that used physics to make a hoverboard.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,715 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

If it can be devised so it doesn't need to rely on rails or anything else then I'd think it would be the coolest thing ever.

As a side note...anyone ever play 'Jak and Daxter'? They use hover crafts and I always thought that should be invented because it would be great to zip around in one of those things.

#3    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Too bad the 2015 in the movie hasn't become a reality lol.  I wish i had a flying car and flux capacitor and the ability to drive 88 mph and 300 AK-47's.

edit:added the machine guns, life would be so empty with out Russian hardware.

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Oh, I hope these are a reality before I am too old.  What am I saying?  I am probably already too old, but wouldn't that be wonderful?

#5    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

$200k says it doesn't happen..

#6    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Not gonna happen. Not in 2015, sorry geeks.

#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,266 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not too hopeful about this, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what you could do on one.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,169 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 01 June 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Not gonna happen. Not in 2015, sorry geeks.

just take a board inside one of these things, and this tech has been out ages

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think this could be done, I came to the conclusion after trying to read up on this stuff. My theory is Nikola Tesla's Free Electricity Theory, then create an electro magnetic force so then the ground (technically any surface) should be reactive and keep the board hovering.
Then I wonder if it was just the eletricity-copper/bank moguel that kept Tesla back.

#10    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,169 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

and the AirBoard, personal hovercraft

one more!!  (more on YT, search air-board or personal hovercraft)

Edited by seeder, 01 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#11    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,266 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

There are a few hoverboards out there, but they are not what we are looking for...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Now who said this cant be done again? heres a REAL WORKING HOVERBOARD

Text under vid on YT states:  (and note the date, this tech is OLD now)

Uploaded on May 26, 2010

The Hoverboard is a project made by Nils Guadagnin, a young French artist. This work is born in 2008 for an exhibition named "Back To the future".
It is a copy of the hoverboard from the movie Back to the Future II. Integrated into the board and the plinth is an electromagnetic system which levitates the board. A laser system stabilises the object in the air.
In the making of this work, this artist was thinking about different ways of presenting sculpture. In fact it's a reflexion on the multiple possibilities of how to give a sculpture full spatial autonomy.

more info : www.nilsguadagnin.com - www.whiteoffice.org

Edited by seeder, 01 June 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 01 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Not too hopeful about this, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what you could do on one.

At my age, I'm thinking break bones.....

#14    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,266 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postseeder, on 01 June 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

Now who said this cant be done again? heres a REAL WORKING HOVERBOARD

Text under vid on YT states:  (and note the date, this tech is OLD now)

Uploaded on May 26, 2010

The Hoverboard is a project made by Nils Guadagnin, a young French artist. This work is born in 2008 for an exhibition named "Back To the future".
It is a copy of the hoverboard from the movie Back to the Future II. Integrated into the board and the plinth is an electromagnetic system which levitates the board. A laser system stabilises the object in the air.
In the making of this work, this artist was thinking about different ways of presenting sculpture. In fact it's a reflexion on the multiple possibilities of how to give a sculpture full spatial autonomy.

more info : www.nilsguadagnin.com - www.whiteoffice.org

So what happens when you stand on it?

Granted its a board that hovers, that doesn't make it a hoverboard though...  ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 02 June 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,169 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 02 June 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

So what happens when you stand on it?

Granted its a board that hovers, that doesn't make it a hoverboard though...  ;)

Eh? a board that hovers...isnt a hoverboard?   WHAT? so what do you want? Something you can stand on and zoom about the city? Get real, the concept has been proven in that vid, but its totally unlikely any city will be adapted for the sake of skateboarders, who are a total minority

so think about that...then realize that while its totally do-able... there is absolutely no need  :tu:

its a dream for fatties, who'd be much better off having a walk in the first place

Edited by seeder, 02 June 2013 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users