Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Ancient Aliens

aliens ancient

• Please log in to reply
1867 replies to this topic

#31    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 02 September 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

My grandma was a Choctaw from Oklahoma but your's sounds a lot like her

you have to admit, redneck woman from the hicks have a very blunt.. earthy.. flavor about them.

Edited by willowdreams, 02 September 2013 - 07:30 AM.

Posted Image

#32    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,107 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 02 September 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

As one "Hicksville redneck" to another I have to agree with the points you make. The fact that it is on something called "The History Channel" would seem to lend legitemacy to these things making it easier for some to be deceived. I think if they are going to show these things they should change their name

It's funny.  When they first started that network, seemed like it was the All Hitler Network. That or nothing but constant WWII.

Now, that is history, I'll grant you that, and likely was quite accurate to boot.

But that didn't keep me from saying back then that they should change their name to the All WWII Network or the All Hitler Channel.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#33    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostHarte, on 02 September 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

It's funny.  When they first started that network, seemed like it was the All Hitler Network. That or nothing but constant WWII.

Now, that is history, I'll grant you that, and likely was quite accurate to boot.

But that didn't keep me from saying back then that they should change their name to the All WWII Network or the All Hitler Channel.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Harte
Good point but I do seem to remember a time when they had some interesting stuff that was actual history

#34    Toon Pimpinz

Toon Pimpinz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• life good. true fact. when you give a hug, it givez back

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

AA is full of crap. there are so many true mysteries out there and they even showed a few of them of the show, yet they choose to linger on obvious lies. its ridiculous.

:gun:

“Common sense is what tells us the earth is flat.” -Albert Einstein

http://soundcloud.com/toonpimpinz
http://youtube.com/toonpimpnz

#35    Maars

Maars

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Herewith my previous response on a similar topic around the authors behind the series etc:

"I will not rely that much on Von Daniken. He seems to have been a fraud from an early age and seemingly admiitted in lying in his books -

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Von_Daniken

Some interesting film you may want to see:-

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com  "

#36    stereologist

stereologist

Government Agent

• 4,367 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I recall a nova show years ago in which they address AA. They show tourists in Washington DC pushing kids in strollers around the Washington monument. The narrator asks, "Could these lowly people have built this monument?" The camera pans up the monument. The narrator assures us that this is far outside of the capability of these lowly individuals. Then the narrator states, "but wait, the height of the monument in rods is exactly equal to the distance in light years to <forgot name of star>. Could this be left behind by aliens from <fill in any star or galaxy of your choosing>?"

Spoofing AA is way too easy.

Then again, any spoof is likely to be used on the show because it fits in so well.

Edited by stereologist, 04 September 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#37    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh no not another AA thread! My post count would be about 3000 posts less if not for arguing against it. So as per everything everyone else has said. Plus always bear in mind, its a semi fiction show, as in, an artefact or location may be real, but the stories and angles explored are embellished.

The show is about ratings, not about accuracy, and the ones who believe in what's being presented are, no doubt about it, simply GULLIBLE.

Its about as fas from the truth as 'The Jungle Book' is from a David Attenborough wildlife show

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#38    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Poststereologist, on 04 September 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Spoofing AA is way too easy.

:tu:

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#39    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

A nice short punchy review of AA (debunk)

Ancient Aliens - the shocking truth 1

Ancient Aliens - the shocking truth 1

Edited by seeder, 04 September 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#40    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,733 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

SuperSoylent is/was a member of UM. Great videos.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#41    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

I read this, and it pretty much says all that need says on AA and Van Daniken I got it from wikipedia

That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times.... I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.

—Carl Sagan, Foreword to The Space Gods Revealed

Posted Image

#42    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,615 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 04 September 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I read this, and it pretty much says all that need says on AA and Van Daniken I got it from wikipedia

That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times.... I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.
—Carl Sagan, Foreword to The Space Gods Revealed

If it were only careless and sloppy. Most of it is right out fraud and were the finished product something but a book the manufacturer of the sorry effort would be in jail for precisely that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#43    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 04 September 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

If it were only careless and sloppy. Most of it is right out fraud and were the finished product something but a book the manufacturer of the sorry effort would be in jail for precisely that.

Here is what I want to know; The life and times of Van Daniken are riddled with illegal activity. He lies so badly, and we know it is badly, because we can google and find the facts in less than a minute after hitting send to see where he knowingly lies

These are facts about him

It is fact that his teachings/writings on ancient aliens is a lie

SO why is it that people who are smart, capable of researching online and finding the facts in less time then it takes to have a bowel movement, still believe him? Take him as fact and defend him?

THAT is what I find confusing. I understand kids/teens and those who are not afraid to show people that they do not want facts to get in the way of their delusional beliefs, but adults capable of thinking and researching who claim to want to know the truth?

What's up with that?

Posted Image

#44    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,615 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 04 September 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Here is what I want to know; The life and times of Van Daniken are riddled with illegal activity. He lies so badly, and we know it is badly, because we can google and find the facts in less than a minute after hitting send to see where he knowingly lies

SO why is it that people who are smart, capable of researching online and finding the facts in less time then it takes to have a bowel movement, still believe him? Take him as fact and defend him?

THAT is what I find confusing. I understand kids/teens and those who are not afraid to show people that they do not want facts to get in the way of their delusional beliefs, but adults capable of thinking and researching who claim to want to know the truth?

What's up with that?

Most people rather die than think: many do. Bertram Russel.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#45    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,629 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 04 September 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

What's up with that?

The short version: BS sells.

The longer version: Some would rather substitute the reality that is for some fantasy of what they wish it was.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

Also tagged with aliens, ancient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users