Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Frozen body: Can we return from the dead?

cryonics frozen dead

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

my two cents: i never got why people pay huge amounts of money to get deep frozen after they're dead. first, they're (as said) DEAD, and there's no cure for that yet. Second, everybody who once thawed up stuff like frozen berrys knows that they turn to a mushy mess. Wouldn't that happen to your (dead) body as well?
I guess it's like a pasttime for rich folks with an enormous fear of death....
Getting stuffed or mummyfied, now THAT has style. But being frozen...nah. Costs too much energy.

Anyway, i read once that there are certain amphibians that produce a kind of natural anti freeze to protect their cells from being destroyed in cold times. they basically are able to completely get frozen in winter time and come back to life when it gets warmer again. If that could be applied to the human body somehow, maybe i would acknowledge the whole cryogenics thing a bit more....

http://news.national...antifreeze.html

#17    Lady Elaine

Lady Elaine

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

The question may be is it possible to recapture or bring alive the spirit or soul? After a long time of death? The answer of course is very debatable, especially with the plethora of religions and beliefs of an afterlife or what have you.
   If the physical body could be brought back, what about the spirit or soul? If you believe they exist of course. If the soul was gone from the body and moved on... Could the physical body be inhabited by a new soul-a different one, or none at all. Crazy to think about.

#18    bassai26

bassai26

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• "Nobody can choose which star to be born under"

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostLady Elaine, on 19 August 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

The question may be is it possible to recapture or bring alive the spirit or soul? After a long time of death? The answer of course is very debatable, especially with the plethora of religions and beliefs of an afterlife or what have you.
   If the physical body could be brought back, what about the spirit or soul? If you believe they exist of course. If the soul was gone from the body and moved on... Could the physical body be inhabited by a new soul-a different one, or none at all. Crazy to think about.
whether the soul really exist or not, the most important part to be revived was the brain itself- if you want to be revived in the future they can clone another body for you...if ever they create another brain for you maybe it contains your late character but you will have no memories of your former self. ;)

#19    bassai26

bassai26

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• "Nobody can choose which star to be born under"

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postbassai26, on 19 August 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

whether the soul really exist or not, the most important part to be revived was the brain itself- if you want to be revived in the future they can clone another body for you...if ever they create another brain for you maybe it contains your late character but you will have no memories of your former self. ;)
so whats the point of being revived if you are a different person anyway?

#20    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 19 August 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

That might be a scary thought for those who are religious... If you are frozen before your spirit/soul/ka/magicsmoke goes whereever it is supposed to go, then is it trapped there? If you could be brought back to life, it would seem to suggest that it does. Or maybe that your spirit is yanked back into your body.

Imagine you're frozen and loaded onto a spaceship leaving for Andromeda at 1/10th of c. And the ship gets there in like 2 million years. And then the ship auto-wakes your body and BAM!!, you're back in your body after 2 million years in Heaven. :innocent: That would be Hell.  :devil:  If that happened you'd probably have a instance of 100% insanity upon waking from cryo.

Well what cannot be helped, cannot be helped. At least you'd know better what might be on the other side(s).

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#21    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

A quarter of a million dollars seems like a whole lot of money to throw away for a person to indulge himself/herself with fairy tale thinking to allay the fear of death. If the person has no heirs, or simply no one to whom he/she wants to give it, then I guess I say, fine, you can't use it anymore and you can't think of anything better to with it, so if you want to donate your life savings to some Charlatan, go ahead, I guess. Too bad the person won't give the money to a worthy charity instead, but whatever. I completely believe future societies will no doubt have amazing advances, the likes of which are primitive minds can't even conceive, including extending human life indefinitely. I see no possibility however that science will advance to the point to make it possible to restore life to a person who died hundreds of years ago and was frozen with the technology available at that time. I understand the fear of death...the unimaginable concept of non-existence for all of time, never to have a conscious thought ever again. I find the thought of this terrifying too. I have to assume the fans of cryogenics reject the possibility of an afterlife...heaven, if you prefer. But how can they see belief in an afterlife as hokum, yet put their money on a sci-fi dream like cryogenics? The concept is so absurd and outlandish, I can't fathom anyone taking it seriously. It's an obvious grasp at a fantom straw to escape the realization of their mortality. If it gives a dying person comfort to face death and the guy has the money, I guess I see no real harm. Who among us doesn't tell ourselves a few lies now and then to deny a reality we aren't ready to accept? I just find it obscene there are exploiters making millions on selling delusional people a fool's dream, and that it's legal.

#22    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

I can see the lure, but you'd be stuck in the past while the world has moved on. Cultural changes and all that. Oh, well. I guess you can get used to anything if you're exposed to it long enough.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,337 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postbrlesq1, on 20 August 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

I can see the lure, but you'd be stuck in the past while the world has moved on. Cultural changes and all that. Oh, well. I guess you can get used to anything if you're exposed to it long enough.
If someone even goes away for 10 years now, they come back to a completely different environment. 20 years ago many computers were still using DOS commands only. Imagine a computer Geek being moved 20 years into the future and having to deal with the WWW and Windows 8, and all the dozens of download programs we need these days. He'd be completely lost.

Now imagine moving 1000 years into the future. It is probably beyong our actual ability to comprehend.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#24    VvROMULUSvV

VvROMULUSvV

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Reading people's comments makes me think no one actually read the article.

Why pose questions that were clearly answered?

#25    gatekeeper32

gatekeeper32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Who knows? Maybe in a 1000 years a robot and lobster can revive them.

#26    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostAaronsmom, on 20 August 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

A quarter of a million dollars seems like a whole lot of money to throw away for a person to indulge himself/herself with fairy tale thinking to allay the fear of death. If the person has no heirs, or simply no one to whom he/she wants to give it, then I guess I say, fine, you can't use it anymore and you can't think of anything better to with it, so if you want to donate your life savings to some Charlatan, go ahead, I guess. Too bad the person won't give the money to a worthy charity instead, but whatever. I completely believe future societies will no doubt have amazing advances, the likes of which are primitive minds can't even conceive, including extending human life indefinitely. I see no possibility however that science will advance to the point to make it possible to restore life to a person who died hundreds of years ago and was frozen with the technology available at that time. I understand the fear of death...the unimaginable concept of non-existence for all of time, never to have a conscious thought ever again. I find the thought of this terrifying too. I have to assume the fans of cryogenics reject the possibility of an afterlife...heaven, if you prefer. But how can they see belief in an afterlife as hokum, yet put their money on a sci-fi dream like cryogenics? The concept is so absurd and outlandish, I can't fathom anyone taking it seriously. It's an obvious grasp at a fantom straw to escape the realization of their mortality. If it gives a dying person comfort to face death and the guy has the money, I guess I see no real harm. Who among us doesn't tell ourselves a few lies now and then to deny a reality we aren't ready to accept? I just find it obscene there are exploiters making millions on selling delusional people a fool's dream, and that it's legal.

You nail it with the money especially. There's a lot of good things you use that money for, 250k € or $, when you know what to pick with it. But if you think of it, money itself is kind of worthless. And I know that people like me believe you can bring anything back to life in the future, the people who have an "everything's possible" -mentality. With that mentality you can always conceive possibilities where others dont. Bringing dead back to life can be made more possible by advances in the CPR-kind of technology, from understanding better how life starts from things that aren't considered living, in what kind of conditions, understanding those conditions better, and learning to backtrack brain impulses of the past so even dead and damaged brains might be repaired one day. It's all possible if you think of it, because things leading to another. But...

Do we need it? Life is good because of things past, the first love, first crush, the you spent with those you loved. Playing outside with your friends, doing forbidden things, living a life where you dont need to worry about regrets but just take the consequences... that life is all in the past when you're old. You wont get back it and what you're holding onto may just be a demented mind, a body that can move 100 meters on it's own if you're lucky, and a good likelihood you'll only get rarely visited where they treat you. When you're there, saying you can't go back to your memories is a cruel thing to say but it's still true. They never be as good as they were in the past, and all you've really left with is your dreams and then you wish you'd have more imagination to at least have some fun without doing really anything.
If you're one of those overoptimists like me, you can see a lot of good things where others see none. But this really stretches even that kinda mind.

My time to go is when I either can't survive on my own, or when I've grown myself such an ill heart it can't love anyone anymore. Each to their own, but life past that point might as well be gambled on something where odds of survival are slim at best.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#27    MamaTweedy

MamaTweedy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• ?

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

What if you are reincarnated and are alive in another body  and they  try  to bring you back to your old body?

#28    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

MamaTweedy, it'd probably leave either of the bodies soulless or spiritless. If your spirit had already moved to another body, I doubt it'd jump back and leave the new body spiritless, but instead a new spirit would either be born or an existing spirit would occupy your old body. That sounds more natural to me than if your spirit ripped itself out of your new body to return to the old one. If your spirit has left once, you should not have a reason to return, because usually we have no recollection of our past lives. Or if we do, it's a bit iffy still.

#29    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Maybe, only maybe, in the future we can put a person into the at present sci-fi only "stasis" while they still live. We cannot bring anybody back from the dead, otherwise death has no meaning and we need another word. Dead is dead, the end, final, dropped of the perch. As for "soul", that is another question.

Also tagged with cryonics, frozen, dead

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users