Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcists issue warning about Ouija boards

UM-Bot

Despite being a popular gift this Christmas, the humble Ouija board possesses a much darker side.

Last month Google reported that Ouija boards were fast becoming one of this year's most popular Christmas gifts thanks to the popularity of Halloween movie 'Ouija', but now exorcists and paranormal investigators have warned that people should avoid purchasing them unless they know what they are doing.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ut-ouija-boards

• Like 1

This does not surprise me. Those boards, and other efforts to contact the "spirits of the dead" seems to me to be dangerous, if "spiritual" or merely psychological.

• Like 5

Why would one want ornary spirits to come into their lives from the netherworlds? Peace, happiness, and all the answers come from this world. Look at the Sun. Be happy :)

• Like 4

This does not surprise me. Those boards, and other efforts to contact the "spirits of the dead" seems to me to be dangerous, if "spiritual" or merely psychological.

It's the whole mind over matter thing. Even if there isn't a malignant spirit hiding in the shadows of your room watching you when you're trying to fall asleep, being paranoid about it could still cause a good deal of emotional/mental stress.

• Like 6

Never used one personally and never would. If it doesn't work, what's the point?

If it does, why take the chance?

• Like 7

I was just thinking, whether the process of using a tool to tap into the spiritual unknown is 'real' or 'in the mind' (I think the 2 are the same, really, in the big picture), people who warn of its great danger are pretty much dooming people to see its dark side. Whether Ouija results are gained through honing of intent, or psychologically created, if you go in with the idea that there is negative stuff waiting to come out of it, you're predisposed to be bracing for something bad. It's negativity fueled by negativity.

Because, hypothetically, not all contact with a realm unknown is negative and dangerous. If you find a dark cave that looks scary and people tell you you shouldn't go through it, but you really don't know what's inside, would you go through or not, knowing there could be anything (good, bad, or ugly) inside? Many would hesitantly and carefully peek inside, then go from there.

Edited by _Only

One anonymous priest and one paranormal investigator who admits to never actually witnessing anything other than subconscious muscle movement, does not exactly warrant an "exorcists" warning.

so who are these (alleged) exorcists?

• Like 1

Never used one personally and never would. If it doesn't work, what's the point?

Exactly the same way you would take a chance with any other board game, its fun, it passes the time, and you may get to **** the life out of your family after christmas dinner as opposed to just becoming the richest person round the table when playing monopoly.

hey, let's issue a warning about exorcists! they too possess a much darker side, in that they are frauds who are at best naive, and at the worst are cons who prey on vulnerable people.

• Like 8

Guys, guys. Big WARNING about monopoly and candyland!!!

Play at your own risk because reasons!!!

"thousands of children are at risk, unaware of the dark side of candyland. 'it's very easy to get stuck in molasses swamp, but very hard to get out', said one confectioner who wished to remain anonymous"

• Like 7

Guys, guys. Big WARNING about monopoly and candyland!!!

Play at your own risk because reasons!!!

I have seen many a tear around the table because daddy would not let little johnny (names have been changed) off with the fine which he could not afford when he landed on Mayfair.....all good fun though.

• Like 3

These games should be BANNED!!1 People don't know what evil forces they are drawing to themselves when they play monopoly!!

• Like 4

I only approach a spiritual subject with a Biblical worldview. Jesus did not dispute the existence of the spirit world and had to confront it on numerous occasions. In all cases it was harmful to those who had become entangled in it, sometimes mentally or physically, sometimes both. Scripture warns against consulting a medium, sorcery (pharmakeia in the Greek, from which we get our word pharmacy, and probably refers to mind altering substances), astrology (worshiping the starry host) and also contacting or consulting the dead. These were forbidding because they have the potential to open up that dark side of the spiritual realm to the harm of those who do.

Whether Ouija is merely a game or a gateway to evil has been debated and will continue to be. Skeptics may simply say a spiritual dimension doesn't exist, others that they believe in a spiritual dimension but it can be "controlled," that you "have to know what you are doing." But if what you are actually dealing with are ancient demonic spirits, they have lived for thousands of years, they know how to manipulate man's weaknesses, doubts and fears and if you try to put this "game" to a test are smart enough not to react in any measurable way. The word "occult" itself mean "hidden." It does seem that many have had bad experience from Ouija unless they are lying, imagining things or delusional. I would err on the side of caution; some doors are better left closed.

• Like 7

I believe spirits are around us all the time, even though we are not aware of it...So be very careful, if you do decide to explore the unknown.

I agree the spirits may be there. But the whole Ouija board gig doesn't look too likely. See, the letters are in alphabetical order - the inventor couldn't even come up with something as imaginative as the QWERTY arrangement on keyboards. Why would the dead continue to use the alphabet if they were inclined to communicate? What about non-English speaking dead - Egyptians, say? After all, if hand movements (which come from thoughts) are subject to influence, then the dead should be able to influence verbal thought content directly, without a rigamarole.

Edited by Hatshepsut
  • Like 4

I believe spirits are around us all the time, even though we are not aware of it.

If you do decide to invite spirits into this realm of existence by using the Ouija board, then you should learn basic psychic self defence as a precaution against attacks by malevolent spirits.

As with anything you don't fully understand, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. We are talking about spiritual energy here, which is beyond the scope of present scientific understanding.

So be very careful, if you do decide to explore the unknown.

I suppose this would discount the heaven and hell theory? If there are so many malevolent spirits then they seem to share the same space as good spirits.

The "fear" factor is well and truly ingrained here with some of the ouija board "believers", this is what fascinates so many people to try it, the thrill of the "fear" factor, which they prepare themselves for even before they open the box, same theory as when you enter the haunted house at the amusrment park, and if you are not scared, then you are disappointed and feel you have wasted your money...you want to be scared when you enter, the difference with the haunted house though, is with a ouija board, people can psyche themselves up before and during the game with their own minds...and often do.

• Like 1

The Ouija board as a spritual gateway into this world, which should not be opened by anyone that doesn't understand what they are doing.

I see two things happening when the Ouija board is being used, first the subconscious mind is being programmed to respond to thoughts of spirits making contact through it by using the Ouija board, and this results in imaginary spirits being created by the subconscious mind.

However, it is possible at the same time as an imaginary spirit message is coming through, that you will create the right conditions for real spirits to come into this realm. These real spirits are not interested in communicating with you through the board though, they will come straight for you, because you have opened up your mind to them.

Energy follows thought in this respect, I know it seems silly but trust me, your mind is far more powerful than you think it is.

I will also add, that fear is a powerful emotion, which effectively encourages manevolent spirits to come through to you, if you open up your mind in this way. The Ouija board is a mind focusing tool, which is far more powerful than an amusement park haunted house.

I don't believe that spiritual energy is seperated between heaven and hell, it's a part of the overall energy of existence.

Edited by Oxo1
  • Like 3

Personally speaking the Best Spirits come in a glass with Ice.

• Like 5

But if what you are actually dealing with are ancient demonic spirits, they have lived for thousands of years, they know how to manipulate man's weaknesses, doubts and fears and if you try to put this "game" to a test are smart enough not to react in any measurable way. The word "occult" itself mean "hidden." It does seem that many have had bad experience from Ouija unless they are lying, imagining things or delusional. I would err on the side of caution; some doors are better left closed.

why do these ancient spirits find themselves so limited that they have to use plastic, cardboard and wood to communicate?

and yes, people are just imagining things. it's not an insult to say that; we have very powerful imaginations, and it's very easy to trick your own mind.

Edited by seaturtlehorsesnake
  • Like 3

edit: I completely messed up reading what someone said!

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

why do these ancient spirits find themselves so limited that they have to use plastic, cardboard and wood to communicate?

Look at all the different ways of rituals honing intent that have been used throughout the years of man, and you will soon realize that the physical materials used to make a 'tool' like this aren't at all important, as much as the idea of sitting down, dedicated to setting out to do something, and performing a set ritual to enact that intent of a desired outcome. It's this process that whatever entrepreneur chose to recreate and market, using whatever materials they thought would make a product that they could mass market.

The whole silly idea of getting together a bunch of magical ingredients to make a witch's spell is the same idea. The 'magical' qualities of an eye of newt are non-existent. It's the whole strong sense of intent created from choosing a symbolic 'tool', whether it be eye of newt, feux wooden board, TV set static, or whatever. That eye of newt could have the symbolism of your ex boyfriend tied to it. Using it in your ritual of ruining his life could be beneficial (if you buy into that type of thing) when you combine it with sulfur (symbolizing damage to the boy) and a scrap of paper from an old love letter (symbolizing the damage he did to you).

You could just as easily create your own ritual, using no materials at all, but that wouldn't be as marketable for social fun.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3