Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

are aliens likely to exist or not?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#106    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 31 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

What an extraordinary thing to say. It does seem extraordinarily arrogant to describe every single person who's ever had an experience with UFOs as a crank or a Wierdo. I'd really thought better of him, I thought that he wasn't the kind of arrogant "populariser of science" like Richard Dawkins. And "'Evidence that intelligent life is very short-lived is that we don't seem to have been visited by extra terrestrials"? Sorry? Does that make anys ense at al? We haven't (as far as he is concerned) been visited by extra Terrestrials, so that's evidence that intellignt life is very short lived? However does he draw that conclusion? :unsure2:

I agree with Frank.

I did not take short lived to mean that either, Lets face it, if intelligence has been around far longer tan we, we would not have to be in  contact to know it is there. I see it as kind of a spin of from the Drake Equation, or the Fermi paradox.

He is the smartest man in the world. It probably pays to have a second think about most things he says.

Edited by psyche101, 01 February 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#107    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,498 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 01 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

I agree with Frank.

I did not take short lived to mean that either, Lets face it, if intelligence has been around far longer tan we, we would not have to be in contact to know it is there.
But how would we know that?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#108    topsecretresearch

topsecretresearch

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

This is another example of a crap thread where people who know very little about close encounters, alien abduction, and UFOs need to make a huge fuss over aliens. If there is nothing to aliens then why bother? :yes:

#109    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,454 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

because, and we can both agree of the sentiment if not the direction the finger is being pointed, ignorance must be fought, no matter what.

#110    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

ok guys.. bit of a hypothetical for you..

yes we can pretty much agree there is other life out there in the universe..

but.. what if we are the most advanced life out there at this moment..

#111    topsecretresearch

topsecretresearch

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

The real question for me is not are some UFOs ETs but who are the occupants? That's what I moved on to.

#112    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

View Posttopsecretresearch, on 01 February 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

The real question for me is not are some UFOs ETs but who are the occupants? That's what I moved on to.

Even though through all these years and thousands of sightings there has never been a single shred of PROOF?.........  

o.O

#113    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 01 February 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

But how would we know that?

By doing what we do, looking an listening. Everywhere we have looked, there is squat, and outside of that is a freaking long way away and therefore of little consequence to us or "them". And too far to zip across to, even in Bob Lazars sports saucers.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#114    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Posttopsecretresearch, on 01 February 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

This is another example of a crap thread where people who know very little about close encounters, alien abduction, and UFOs need to make a huge fuss over aliens. If there is nothing to aliens then why bother? :yes:

So this too, explains your participation?

You seem to be struggling with the concept of Aliens, that means "not from here". Who said they do not exist? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Rational people say there is not evidence to say we have been visited by Aliens, not that Aliens do not exist. You should read this forum, it sounds like you would learn a great deal.

You only seem to know what you regurgitate from woo woo sites going by your posts. Some might consider that less than nothing.

#115    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Posttopsecretresearch, on 01 February 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I doubt you are the only one out there in woo woo land too.

All you people that know, but cannot prove anything. Trying to sell faith. Good God man, that is old hat! Many unhappy customers who invested in faith these days too.

View PostDingoLingo, on 01 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

ok guys.. bit of a hypothetical for you..

yes we can pretty much agree there is other life out there in the universe..

but.. what if we are the most advanced life out there at this moment..

Or even at the same level. Seems just as possible as advanced to me.

#116    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,498 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

By doing what we do, looking an listening. Everywhere we have looked, there is squat, and outside of that is a freaking long way away and therefore of little consequence to us or "them". And too far to zip across to, even in Bob Lazars sports saucers.
again, you're saying we'd see them if they were zipping about out there? i thought we'd covered that many times before, and I've tried to explain that there might be many reasons why we might not see them; and again, why do you assume that they'd want to send us a message? You usually say it would be very rude to spy on us without saying Howdy, but really, that's very anthropomphric, isn't it, assuming that they'd have the same notions of what was rude and what wasn't to us?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#117    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 04 February 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

again, you're saying we'd see them if they were zipping about out there?

Again, yes.

i thought we'd covered that many times before, and I've tried to explain that there might be many reasons why we might not see them;

You have protested many times before, you have never covered off on the subject. You said that "they" Could hide in the asteroid field, but you have been shown that's not doable because we analyse it and scan it all the time. A mothership has to have a significant power signature. If it runs of fairy dust, and it only 6 inches across, I'll say OK to that one. You also claim magical cloaking tech, which they do not seem to use when spotted hovering over Belgium or the Whitehouse, which is apparently a ridiculous thing for black ops to do, but just fine for aliens to do, that have been doing their darndest to hide from us for over 60 years. Not much logic in there LV.

I think the closest you have come is plagiarising the idea of self replicating Robots. which is I agree a plausible concept, but no proof we have even seen anything like it, and the intelligence you imply above for secrecy does not factor to Robots. And I do not approve of re-writing what every small records we do have just to shoehorn ET into the picture. I really do not understand what that is supposed to accomplish.

and again, why do you assume that they'd want to send us a message? You usually say it would be very rude to spy on us without saying Howdy, but really, that's very anthropomphric, isn't it, assuming that they'd have the same notions of what was rude and what wasn't to us?

We are talking first contact are we not? How is spying contact? Do you put any rationale behind your proposals lately?

And not, it is not anthropomorphic, it is logical. I said signal all the time, and not because of your spy on us "Prime Directive" from Star Trek, that the captains broke every other week anyway!!! So much for the Prime Bloody Directive!!!

Of the top of my head, some points "for" communications:

Little power required.
Failure is a small setback
No risk to life
No risk to equipment (as in you do not have to build a billion dollar spaceship to get there)
Travel at the speed of light
Small resources required
No risk to environments
Any hostile contact can be considered at a distance
Fast
Easy to build
Little training required
First contact could be initiated with many worlds at once, which would otherwise literally take centuries to reach by ship - so volume
Time is not a factor. You can send a signal that take 100 years to reach it's destination, and wait for a reply.

Now there is over a dozen points, just straight up. What advantages does space travel provide over and above this?

Edited by psyche101, 04 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#118    Ghostsstory

Ghostsstory

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

-Socrates

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

My theory is:

In a world with a universe so large that we can't even conclude its size, it might as well be infinite. With an infinity expansive universe with 100,000,000,000,0000,000,000,000+ stars, there's bound to be life somewhere.

We're constantly finding new planets in our OWN solar system that are capable of supporting life just as we know it alone. Imagine if there are life forms that don't need the basic elements to survive that life on earth needs such as Oxygen. That opens up possibilities beyond our comprehension.

I feel that we have been visited and still are.

Oddly enough, I believe they even helped us at some point in time and either forgot about us or gave up on us after witnessing how uncivilized we are... and quick to turn on our own kind. Maybe we're all just failed projects. Maybe they monitor us in our skies just to kind of "check in to see if we changed" every now and then or something. Maybe they want or harvest unknown resources from earth.

I witnessed 2 really strange UFO's in my life both within the last year. Who knows what they're up to or possibly planning if anything.

Edited by Ghostsstory, 04 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#119    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think everyone will agree that aliens ARE likely to exist....
What is in debate here is if some of the aliens are visiting Earth or not....especially since there seem to be so many sightings of weird craft in our skies (sometimes even landed or even with humanoid occupants sighted)....

As to the debate/argument, perhaps die-hard skeptics and die-hard ETH'ers should stop arguing about if ETH is correct or not and shift the argument to 'WHY are we UNABLE to AQUIRE PROOF'?

#120    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostPaxus, on 04 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

As to the debate/argument, perhaps die-hard skeptics and die-hard ETH'ers should stop arguing about if ETH is correct or not and shift the argument to 'WHY are we UNABLE to AQUIRE PROOF'?

Both camps have their theories on that. Some skeptics think that since aliens have likely not been here then there would be little to no evidence to acquire, while some ETH'ers like to employ the super duper stealth technology argument or the infamous government cover up. Either way, the lack of verifiable evidence is a veritable thorn in the side of the ETH. On the other hand, if proof does exist, it will see the light of day eventually. I'm fairly certain that alien visitation isn't the kind of thing that can be kept secret for long, certainly not 60+ years.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users