Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Vatican denies Pope performed exorcism

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Philangeli

Philangeli

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• Develop a mind which rests on no thing whatsoever

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postbigjonalien, on 22 May 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Its a prerequisite to becoming the Pope!
Yes, I imagine the anti-catholic, garbage-consuming under-classes might believe that! :)

Philangeli

“When thoughts arise, then do all things arise. When thoughts vanish, then do all things vanish.” Huang Po

#17    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 22 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

If I may ask, why is it a bad thing that the pope would be performing an exorcism? Does it have something to do with the Pope's status?
Hello Skeptic Chicken,

It goes with the territory. Demons are also the same today, yesterday and tomorrow -- evil, until the end of time. They are too real. "Christians," not just Catholics (and yes, Catholics are Christians...), have the ability to cast out demons because they know how to pray and fast...and most of all, "Christians" are connected to the Holy Spirit. Authority over demons is earned or secured by believing in Jesus Christ. Some have more faith than others, however.

Peace.

#18    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostHilander, on 22 May 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Its early now and when I wake up maybe I will change my mind but I don't see the big deal if he did.
Your statement has brought this to mind: "When they came to Jesus, they (the locals) saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they (the locals) were afraid... Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region" -- Mark 5:15, 17.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 22 May 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#19    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Funny to see how many self-appointed experts on exorcism there suddenly are. I would not claim to know what an exorcism "looks like", but if it is nothing more than to touch someones hand and mumble something, I certainly donĀ“t have a problem with it.

This brouhaha sounds like a lot of hot air to me. (And no, I am not a Catholic.)

#20    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

O really hw fascinating aren't they allowed to make exorcism t6he world never ceases to amuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,951 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

That wasn't an exorcism... it was something else, we call it spiritual liberation.

There is in fact  a difference, on one hand exorcism expels a demon that abides within a person, on the other spiritual liberation liberates a person from a consistent spiritual attack from the outside of a person, in the form of mental, emotional  or spiritual anguish. The Pope simply prayed for the person in question, (something any Christian can do) the visible effect was the person being liberated from a spiritual and ongoing attack.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#22    kurtstallings

kurtstallings

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• The thing that intrigues me about life is that for some unfathomable reason I want to keep living despite where it's gotten me.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Jor-el is correct. When I first saw the story, I was baffled. The reporter specifically claimed that "the Pope performed an exorcism." You wouldn't have seen him greet an engaged couple and bless them, wishing them well in their marriage, and write "the Pope performed a wedding." The Rite of Exorcism is fairly intense and extensive. If anything similar happened here, and I don't know one way or the other, it would have been what the evangelicals call spiritual liberation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users