Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Girl, 16, survives fall of over 3,000ft

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 01 February 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

I agree, but the article suggests also that it was correctable human error.

It states with the limited training she had, and the wireless connection to the instructor, she should have been able to correct the issue - but she didn't. It's reported she may have lost consciousness - or perhaps she panicked/froze?

Regardless I don't see they'd have any case against the skydiving company. She is a very lucky young lady.
Correctable for someone who knows how or conscious to adhere to the instructions being given. It appears she may well have blacked out over panic....all the more reason her father should not have taken her to do this, he would/should have known if she were up for this kind of adventure.
Yes, very lucky girl indeed.

Edited by freetoroam, 01 February 2014 - 02:23 AM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• "It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Wow! She's lucky! I'm glad she came out of this okay. Tough lady indeed!! :nw:

Posted Image

#18    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,726 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 01 February 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

I agree, but the article suggests also that it was correctable human error.

It states with the limited training she had, and the wireless connection to the instructor, she should have been able to correct the issue - but she didn't. It's reported she may have lost consciousness - or perhaps she panicked/froze?

Regardless I don't see they'd have any case against the skydiving company. She is a very lucky young lady.

Like cgowens alluded to, when you spin under a partial canopy, it's the worst ride of your life. It's your call to either ride it or cut it away. She was probably unable.

#19    Ginger

Ginger

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

• Speak not, what you know nothing of.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

View Postcgowens, on 31 January 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

I'm a skydiver and these reports are misleading. The girl had a malfunction on her main. She had a spinning malfunction into the ground. She had a canopy open, but she had a malfunction. Let me say this, NO ONE has ever survived a terminal velocity fall from a skydive without some sort of canopy open above their heads. This was a USPA dropzone and it was a static line jump. She jumped out of the plane and a line automatically deploys her main parachute. for some reason, she did not or could not begin her emergency procedures to cutaway her main and deploy her reserve. She stayed in the spinning malfunction until she impacted the ground.
What about people that have been thrown from a plane and survived.  There was one that was a WW2 pilot and there was one that was a flight attendant when a bomb I believe went off.  They had no canopy open above their heads and they lived.

#20    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

The most important thing is that she is still among the living. And it was PURE DUMB LUCK that saved her, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by ancient astronaut, 01 February 2014 - 03:36 AM.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#21    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

bet she hurts all over

#22    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

If her safety shoot did not open she would not be here she is lucky on her 16

#23    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

Krampus saved her.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#24    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,291 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

Correctable for someone who knows how or conscious to adhere to the instructions being given. It appears she may well have blacked out over panic....all the more reason her father should not have taken her to do this, he would/should have known if she were up for this kind of adventure.
Yes, very lucky girl indeed.

Indeed. Why not sign her up for a tandem jump first?

It seems a reckless decision for noobs to think they will be okay with solo jumps from the very off.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#25    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,061 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 01 February 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Indeed. Why not sign her up for a tandem jump first?

It seems a reckless decision for noobs to think they will be okay with solo jumps from the very off.
I made the assumption this could not have been her first jump, I thought all first jumps were tandem, it would be ridiculous for a noob to know how to control a chute or land correctly - surely there would be regulations about this very thing.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#26    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,291 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 01 February 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I made the assumption this could not have been her first jump, I thought all first jumps were tandem, it would be ridiculous for a noob to know how to control a chute or land correctly - surely there would be regulations about this very thing.

I re-read the story and, while it didn't state it was her first jump, it was strongly implied.

According to other reports she was not required to do a tandem jump because the static line attached to the plane opens the parachute automatically. That article also states this...

Mackenzie was all smiles Saturday, just minutes before her birthday skydiving dream.

"In Texas you have to be 18," said Meagan. "You have to jump four times tandem – with another person. In Oklahoma you only have to be 16."

...further supporting this was her first ever jump.

You may say this is very poor regulation, and I'd agree, but it also suggests the father was very irresponsible.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#27    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,061 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 01 February 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

I re-read the story and, while it didn't state it was her first jump, it was strongly implied.

According to other reports she was not required to do a tandem jump because the static line attached to the plane opens the parachute automatically. That article also states this...

...further supporting this was her first ever jump.

You may say this is very poor regulation, and I'd agree, but it also suggests the father was very irresponsible.
Both the diving co. and father were very irresponsible - how the heck was she going to know how to guide her chute and land correctly?  No amount of theory is comparable to a live test - safely attached to the instructor fgs.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#28    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

I want to know what she landed on, cuz it sounds to me like it may have been a pile of discarded temper-pedic matresses. More details please?

#29    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,500 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Mr Swainson said Makenzie's parachute opened correctly but she began to spiral downward when the chute went up, but not out. He said divers were given instruction during a six-to-seven-hour training session on how to deal with such problems.

He also said Makenzie had a radio hook-up in her helmet through which someone gave her instructions.
It's possible she would have coped with it had she not blacked out. Poor girl must have been terrified and I can understand why her father would want to blame somebody in his anger. Luckily she survived her ordeal.

Posted Image

#30    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 01 February 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Both the diving co. and father were very irresponsible - how the heck was she going to know how to guide her chute and land correctly?  No amount of theory is comparable to a live test - safely attached to the instructor fgs.

As a gift around the same age, I had a static line jump like that and my father had to sign for me because I was  not 18.  Basically you have a few hours of instruction, go up in the plane with a chord attached that opens your chute shortly after you jump out.

As far as guiding the chute correctly it is pretty easy, pull down on the right toggle to turn right and the left one to turn left,  For me there was a man one the ground with a giant red arrow that he would turn to let me know which way to go.  I was able to land right where he guided me and it was a soft landing.  They did train us pretty well, it was all very serious as it should have been.

I could not imagine though if there had been a malfunction.  At 3,000 feet you don't really have time to stop and think before you burn in. It is great to know that she made it.

Edited by Razer, 02 February 2014 - 12:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users