Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Voyager craft exits the Solar System...

voyager extra-solar

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

And so it begins, Humanity has finally left its home system carrying a message of goodwill for all...

"Launched in September 1977, the probe was sent initially to study the outer planets, but then just kept on going.
The US space agency (Nasa) reports that Voyager has now entered a realm of space beyond the influence of our Sun.
This interstellar region is calculated to be more than 18 billion km from Earth, or 123 times the distance between our planet and the Sun."

Thanks to the BBC for the article, READ MORE:http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21866532

Edited by keithisco, 20 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

We definitly got our moneys worth with that one...

If you think about it, the Two Voyager craft could possibly be the longest lasting 'relics' of Earth... Unless they collide with some object out there in the deep black, or get pulled into some distant star, they will continue virtually for ever...  Long after the Earth is a burnt cinder from the sun's inevitable expansion these two could still be carrying our message to the stars...

Unless we get off our butts and get out there with them, they could be ALL that is left of us...

Fare well Voyager...

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,630 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Scientists Say Voyager 1 Has Left the Solar System, But Has It Really?

www.universetoday.com said:

A new paper out today reports that the Voyager 1 spacecraft appears to have traveled beyond the influence of the Sun and exited the heliosphere. However, the data they cite is the same as what NASA Voyager scientists claimed in December 2012 was just a new region at the edge of the solar system that scientists didn’t even know was there. They called it a “highway” of magnetic particles, shepherding Voyager 1 out into interstellar space, whereas the new paper put out by the American Geophysical Union says Voyager has crossed a “heliocliff” and into interstellar space.

JPL spokesperson Jia-Rui Cook had just heard of the paper when Universe Today called this morning to verify the findings of the new paper. “Our last statement about this was the critical thing we were looking for was a change in the magnetic field data,” she said via phone. “This paper does not appear to address the magnetic field data.”

Cook said she is trying to get in touch with Voyager Project Scientist Ed Stone, who is currently out of the country, to verify the paper’s claims that Voyager has left the solar system.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Maybe it has maybe it didnt... This is about a very good and magnificent achievement, still going strong...

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,630 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostTesla II, on 20 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Maybe it has maybe it didnt... This is about a very good and magnificent achievement, still going strong...
Agreed, the Universe Today article is not an attack on Voyager or the team that built or run it. It is, however, questioning the conclusions of the paper which claims that Voyager 1 has left the solar system.

What we are seeing here is science in action. Questioning conclusions is good science, in taking a sceptical stance science ensures that it separates the wheat from the chaff. Forcing scientists to defend their conclusions ensures that those which are not supported by the evidence or are just plain wrong get rejected, whilst those that survive the challenge become accepted.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    MonkeyOrchid

MonkeyOrchid

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• I see Candy's in my sleep !

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I would have loved to piggyback that.

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,630 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

NASA Voyager Status Update on Voyager 1 Location

www.nasa.gov said:

Artist concept of NASA's Voyager<br />
spacecraft.<br />
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech      <br />
<a href='http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/540354main_voyager20110427-full.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>› Larger view</a>
Artist concept of NASA's Voyager
spacecraft.
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech      
› Larger view
"The Voyager team is aware of reports today that NASA's Voyager 1 has left the solar system," said Edward Stone, Voyager project scientist based at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. "It is the consensus of the Voyager science team that Voyager 1 has not yet left the solar system or reached interstellar space. In December 2012, the Voyager science team reported that Voyager 1 is within a new region called 'the magnetic highway' where energetic particles changed dramatically. A change in the direction of the magnetic field is the last critical indicator of reaching interstellar space and that change of direction has not yet been observed."

To learn more about the current status of the Voyager mission: http://www.jpl.nasa....elease=2012-381

The Voyager spacecraft were built and continue to be operated by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Pasadena, Calif. Caltech manages JPL for NASA. The Voyager missions are a part of NASA's Heliophysics System Observatory, sponsored by the Heliophysics Division of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

Jia-Rui C. Cook 818-354-0850
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
jccook@jpl.nasa.gov

2013-107

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,471 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I guess the basic argument is when does the solar system end?   Is it when the magnnetic field is no longer effected by the sun or when the bulk of the energy and material the probe contacts in interstealllar rather than solar.   It has to be the magnetosphere soteh authors will have to defend their paper.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#9    imagestic

imagestic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Most people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them...

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Let's hope it has better luck than Pioneer 10 ;)

#10    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Let's hope it doesn't take the path of the Star Trek Voyager, or it could arm itself!

:)

#11    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,590 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Where will it go now? keep going?

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yea there isn't much to stop it out there.  I presume at some point we will lose contact.  I don't know if it will go near any of the nearby stars but I think that unlikely.  Its course was determined by things it was needed for in the solar system.  Besides, if it were to approach any nearby star, the event would be thousands if not millions of years from now.  It's gonna be a lonely little machine for a long time.

#13    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,455 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

It just depends on what criteria you use to determine it passing out of the Solar System. Either when the vast majority of particles are of Cosmic or Solar origin... or when the Suns magnetic field no longer holds sway.

It really makes very little difference because, by any criteria, voyager WILL exit the solar system by all criteria, very soon (a few months to a couple of years). Its plutonium power cells will continue for maybe 10 - 15 years then it truly becomes inert... propelled on a lonely,40,000 year journey to the environs of the next Star - System in its sights.

A wonderful achievement by any standards and I take my hat off to all of those Engineers and Scientists that made it happen :yes: :st :clap:

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Do not the Voyagers contain the gold discs with images of earth? Let's hope they are not misinterpreted by some alien civilization as "dinner is served"!

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMJNYC, on 21 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Let's hope it doesn't take the path of the Star Trek Voyager, or it could arm itself!

:)

I was thinking about star trk the movie. V'ger anybody.

View PostSundew, on 21 March 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Do not the Voyagers contain the gold discs with images of earth? Let's hope they are not misinterpreted by some alien civilization as "dinner is served"!
Yes.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users