Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do Scientists Fear the Paranormal?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,535 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postscowl, on 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Sheldrakes has abandoned the world of science for the more profitable arena of writing popular books and making presentations to non-scientific audiences.

It's easy to say that about Somone when you reject their work. Last time I checked Hawkins does research, gives presentations, and does research.

I have also personally sat Down in a workshop with Dr. Sheldrake, and I assure you the room was filled with PHDs some in physics and some in chemistry. One gentleman owns a set of notable labs.

It's funny what happens when you look at the truth about Somone and what they are doing instead of only getting information from magazines and critics ;)

Edited by Seeker79, 17 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#17    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,591 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postscowl, on 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Do people read books and magazines any more or do they learn everything from youtube?
Some people (mentioning no names) couldn't read if their life depended on it.

Edited by Rlyeh, 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#18    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,591 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 16 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Cuban-born journalist and author Alex Abella ("Soldiers of Reason") was allowed exclusive access inside the RAND Corporation to view their archives. What he discovered was a plot driven by mad scientists, behaviorists, and generals who were intent on starting world war three and fleecing the American people in the process. Once he was a skeptic on the subject of conspiracy theories and the new world order, but after his work with the RAND Corporation he is now convinced that this top secret think tank has been pulling the strings of American government for at least 60 years.
Does he have a history of schizophrenia?

#19    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 16 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Since mainstream media is heavily controlled and censored concerning content, at least "youtube" offers one an alternative platform in which to communicate to the masses.

Who relies on mainstream media for science? Any idiot can post a video full of garbage on it. I read peer-reviewed science journals in the library and books written by practicing scientists and professors.

#20    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 17 January 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's easy to say that about Somone [sic] when you reject their work.

It's even easier to say that when it's true.

Last time I checked Hawkins does research, gives presentations, and does research.

We're talking about Sheldrake here.

I have also personally sat Down in a workshop with Dr. Sheldrake, and I assure you the room was filled with PHDs some in physics and some in chemistry. One gentleman owns a set of notable labs.

I can assure you that people with doctorates enjoy entertainment as much as regular people. You will also find them in movie theaters.

It's funny what happens when you look at the truth about Somone [sic again!] and what they are doing instead of only getting information from magazines and critics ;)

In science, what a scientist publishes in reputable peer-reviewed journals is what they're doing. Sheldrake has only been able to publish paranormal research in a British publication called the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. This "society" which was once a very skeptical organization is now known for welcoming scientists who no longer wish to perform science and non-scientific members who are celebrities and fans of the paranormal. One was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who declared my avatar to be "proof" of the existence of fairies. In fact it looks like Sheldrake been so busy raking in the cash writing popular books that I can't find any recent studies he's published.

#21    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Scientists have a burning desire to EXPLAIN everything (it's in their DNA), that's why they trash Religion because they can't explain it and it makes them feel uncomfortable.
Dawkins is the prime example of this, he's become a kind of front man for the Atheist movement!

#22    ozman

ozman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

• techlivewire.com is my main site.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Scientists better get ready for the day when Science finally unites with the Paranormal and begins scientifically explaining paranormal phenomena.  Like they said in the anime movie Dead Space, Convergence is coming people.  Soon it will be discovered that the Paranormal and the spiritual world is real.

Posted Image

#23    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postozman, on 17 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Scientists better get ready for the day when Science finally unites with the Paranormal and begins scientifically explaining paranormal phenomena.  Like they said in the anime movie Dead Space, Convergence is coming people.  Soon it will be discovered that the Paranormal and the spiritual world is real.

What? They're already explaining paranormal phenomena, like since the dawn of science. THat is what science is about, thinking about something rationally and finding a logical explanation.

#24    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,337 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Considering that every single instance of the so-called "paranormal" and "psychic" experiences has been easily explained by mundane things like imagination, lack of knowledge, hysteria, etc...I see no reason to give these topics any serious considerations.

#25    Judeaous

Judeaous

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

• Your mind will never "play tricks" on you. Ghosts will....

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostRyu, on 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Considering that every single instance of the so-called "paranormal" and "psychic" experiences has been easily explained by mundane things like imagination, lack of knowledge, hysteria, etc...I see no reason to give these topics any serious considerations.

More like "explained away". With preposterous
Theories derided from "slothful induction", such
as Periodolia and "Mass Hysteria"....  
It's all in our minds!!!  And when it strikes in numbers,
"Mass Hysteria"!!  How convenient.

Today's paranormal researchers err....by clinging to the skirts of science, who's naturalistic viewpoint CAN NEVER allow for the bearing of any fruit.
Not unlike studying the fundamentals of American Democracy, by referencing MEIN KOMPF.

#26    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,402 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

There is repeatable and statistically significant experiments.

Sheldrakes experiments regarding the sense of being stared at are a good example.

There is a dogma in science

Sheldrake's experiments aren't scientific.

Since mainstream media is heavily controlled and censored concerning content, at least "youtube" offers one an alternative platform in which to communicate to the masses.

That says it all really.

View PostCrikey, on 17 January 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Scientists have a burning desire to EXPLAIN everything (it's in their DNA), that's why they trash Religion because they can't explain it and it makes them feel uncomfortable.
Dawkins is the prime example of this, he's become a kind of front man for the Atheist movement!

Of course science can explain religion. There's a huge body of work about the evolution of religious thought and experience. And when Dawkins becomes a front man for atheism, that is because he cares about the effect organised religion has on society and progress. And rightly so.

View Postozman, on 17 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

There has never, ever, been any evidence for the existence of the paranormal. And anime is fiction by the way.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

In the 12th century or any time before  ,if someone told the average man,do you know you have little round things in your body ,that keep you alive ? It's in that red stuff that comes out of us when we get cut ...
What would average man have said ?

You're crazy,there is no proof of that,at all .

Man is so arrogant today,that man feels nothing is beyond his oh so sagacious grasp .He has any and all technology ,to be GOD .
When its entirely possible ,the means to measure the paranormal,has yet to be invented on this plane of existance .

If it took centuries to figure out what blood was ,and how it worked ,it can also take centuries to figure out how to talk to a ghost in day to day life .

Miss me?

#28    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 18 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

There has never, ever, been any evidence for the existence of the paranormal. And anime is fiction by the way.

More importantly, if there are some detectable and objectively measurable evidence for what is generally regarded as paranormal events, will those events remain paranormal anymore? With evidence, the supernatural would become natural, no? So...finding scientific evidence for the paranormal/supernatural is a paradox. It's like trying to find a three-sided square or a four-sided triangle. If it's beyond natural, then it's inherently unprovable, non-testable, non-falsifiable and therefore completely outside the field of any objevtive analysis.

If people want to believe in the paranormal/supernatural, then they should realize there can never be any material/objective evidence for their existence (very much by definition). If there are evidences, then sorry to the supernatural-fans, but well...the supernatural won't remain supernatural anymore. It will become part of the natural world.

It is not impossible for things we currently consider supernatural/paranormal to have an objective explanation that we still have not figured out. Just like sleep-paralysis and hallucination have objective explanations today and are no longer at the hand of some supernatural djinns or devils.

In short:

If it is supernatural, then there can never be any objective, testable evidence (by definition).
If there are any objective, testable evidences, then it's not supernatural (by definition).

Why try to find evidence to prove what is by definition unprovable? And if one wants to prove, then why call them unprovable in the first place? It makes less than no sense.

(This isn't directed at you Emma, but at the post you quoted. But your post sparked the thought so I responded by quoting you).

Edited by Blood_Sacrifice, 18 January 2013 - 05:31 PM.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#29    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,823 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yes, the mainstream media is heavily controlled and censored concerning with like promoting mainstream science and denying the paranormal.

That's why when I browse the documentary channels looking for something good to watch, it's awash with crap like Ancient Aliens, Most Haunted, etc. and there's less and less actual mainstream science and history as time goes by.

Sounds like the "mainstream media" is doing a pretty crap job of censoring paranormal content and promoting mainstream science.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#30    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 17 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Does he have a history of schizophrenia?

Do  you honestly believe that a foreign policy "think tank" (RAND) founded by the US military & funded in part by the US government would
have invited a "schizophrenic" to come in and view their archives?

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users