Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

The movies "Wrong Turn" really freaked me out!! Oh, and also the movie about the freak that lives in the subway-think it's called Creep.

Insidious is a REALLY SCARY movie, I didnt sleep for a while after I saw that.

• Like 1

Maybe a good scary clown movie might do it for me...and not like that It movie. I thought that was ridiculous...

King does not translate well into movies, read the book, it will scare you..omg :yes:

• Like 1

King does not translate well into movies, read the book, it will scare you..omg :yes:

Yeah I didn't think it was very scary at all

I Have 2 ..

1. The Blair Witch Project - I watched it once as a teenager, and have never been able to watch it again ever since .. I tried on different occasions, but would only make it to half of the film .. I have no idea why, but it always felt so real ..

2. The Fourth Kind - I seriously haven't slept a whole year properly until I found out it was all fake .. The night I've watched it I couldn't even blink- I was that terrified to close my eyes ..

I know people will laugh saying those are the 2 most stupid films ever!! And I know it's true .. But you have no idea how terrifying they were for me ..

the original "The birds". it scared me twice, the night i first saw it and then again the next day when i just happened to have to walk to school ( back when people actually did walk to school her in western washington) and there was a flock of crows waiting for me two blocks from home I think i was 10 at the time. i still sometimes shiver at the sight of a flock of crows 40+ years later

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

I Have 2 ..

1. The Blair Witch Project - I watched it once as a teenager, and have never been able to watch it again ever since .. I tried on different occasions, but would only make it to half of the film .. I have no idea why, but it always felt so real ..

2. The Fourth Kind - I seriously haven't slept a whole year properly until I found out it was all fake .. The night I've watched it I couldn't even blink- I was that terrified to close my eyes ..

I know people will laugh saying those are the 2 most stupid films ever!! And I know it's true .. But you have no idea how terrifying they were for me ..

I saw The Fourth Kind and that movies no joke I almost walked out of the theatre it was so scary.

I saw The Fourth Kind and that movies no joke I almost walked out of the theatre it was so scary.

i liked that movie to untill i found out it was all fake.
  • Like 1

Orphanage

Event Horizon

Ring, original Japanese the best. American remake was very good, but just didn't have that extra :devil:

Dark Water, original Japanese. remake was as scary as Mickey Mouse

Grudge. Those jerky movements were really creepy when first seen, been copied a lot now and lost it's edge.

And a Spanish low budget horror I don't remember the name of, but only a few years old. About a father and daughter move into an old out of the way house to renovate it. Seems the Spanish have taken over from the Japanese in producing high grade horror. Another, though not scary, IMO, is "Time Crimes" Probably has different names in countries it was released in.

Personally, Event Horrizon. messed me up... lol

also, In the Mouth of Madness

Edited by John Rayne

Personally, Event Horrizon. messed me up... lol

also, In the Mouth of Madness

Event Horizon is one of my all time favorite movies. I like the whole concept that the ship went into a different dimension that was "pure evil" love that.

• Like 1

Event Horizon is one of my all time favorite movies. I like the whole concept that the ship went into a different dimension that was "pure evil" love that.

"where we're going, you don't need eyes to see." :devil:
  • Like 1

John Capetenters "The thing"

You're kidding, right? I remember seeing that movie on cable at a frat party when I was in college. Now, I went to college when I was older...twentyish. And there were all these little 18-year-old sorority girls squealing and hiding their eyes, and I'm laughing my a** off at the cartoonish "violence." It was just so silly. I finally had enough and said, "What is wrong with you little twits? This is about the least scary movie I've ever seen."

IT is an absolutely immense tale, so layered and creepy and funny at the same time! The Kitchener Ironworks and poor Mike weirded me out :w00t:

The Exorcist is terrifying but not for the corny moments that are well known, the story and human aspects are really harrowing and so wonderfully conveyed, the characters are so believable and their roles concise and powerful, the direction is masterful and the pacing is outstanding. You pick up more each time you watch it and the little things really make you appreciate the scope of this masterpiece. The demon is one spooky customer too, which doesn't help matters!

• Like 1

I so desperately need to get this film on DVD! I've only seen perhaps the last thrid perhaps which really annoys me. The concept just sounds to excellent, and perhaps a little Lovecraftian. A sort of From Beyond, or Bleknap Long's Hounds of Tindalos feel from what i gather.

I so desperately need to get this film on DVD! I've only seen perhaps the last thrid perhaps which really annoys me. The concept just sounds to excellent, and perhaps a little Lovecraftian. A sort of From Beyond, or Bleknap Long's Hounds of Tindalos feel from what i gather.

I don't think I am allowed to post the video itself, but you might want to enter this in YouTube search:

H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993)

Event Horizon isn't too bad, kinda reminds me of the whole philadelphia experiment vibe. The build up is great but it just gets silly and funny towards the end, it does have three legends in tho, Dr Grant, Morpheus and Lucius Malfoy!

• Like 1

Jaws, without a doubt. Anyone who has seen Jaws and swims in the ocean thinks of sharks. Any other scary movie doesn't inspire the same feelings at all times. I still swim in the ocean, and love it, but sharks are always on my mind.

• Like 1

Jaws is a classic, that music!! I can't step foot in the ocean without fears of crabs, jellyfish and stingrays, let alone sharks :w00t:

• Like 2

Jaws is a classic, that music!! I can't step foot in the ocean without fears of crabs, jellyfish and stingrays, let alone sharks :w00t:

With Jaws I can still hear the screaming, and that was just in the cinema when head appeared from bottom of sunken boat, things didn't improve after that...

Well, to add to my list from earlier. Only last night I watched "The Woman in Black". I know critics and others seemed not to rate this highly, but fear is all in the mind of the veiwer. I thought this was as scary as anything I had seen before. Blood soaked slashers do not scare me for one moment, it is often that which is more low key that is more frightening. There is another film recently seen, French, called "Livid", very good until the last quarter of film which became slighty silly and, IMO, ruined the suspense.

The 'You're gonna need a bigger boat' scene scared the heck outta me, it's just so sudden and he backs away so realistically :D

The Orphanage (Spanish movie) and REC (also Spanish but has an American remake called Quarentine) were scary and good, but overall The Exorcist still terrifies me and probably always will do.

Good call all around. I like what is coming out of Spain.
  • Like 1

"The Hills Have Eyes" disturbed me some, enough that I wouldn't watch it again. "Creepshow" and "Twilight Zone, The Movie" from the 80's were a couple of favorites of mine as a kid. "Trick or Treat" is pretty cool. "The Walking Dead" series has my full attention nowadays...

Haute Tension...

Actually I found it more disgusting than scary.