Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city

seeder

Islamist Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city and declares them 'state property'

TURKEY'S Islamist government has stepped up its war on Christianity by seizing all the churches in one city and declaring them state property.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/663089/Islamist-Turkey-Erdogan-seize-Christian-churches-Diyarbakir-persecution-state-property

• Like 1

not a very tolerant bunch are they? wonder what happens next.......

• Like 3

lol that source of information though and "informative" article :whistle:

pick your preferred source then

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Turkey+seizes+ALL+Christian+churches&gws_rd=cr

• Like 3

Remind me again why they are a member of NATO and being considered for membership in the EU. It will be a mistake for Europe to give them visa free travel.

• Like 5

Remind me again why they are a member of NATO and being considered for membership in the EU. It will be a mistake for Europe to give them visa free travel.

The hope is that Erdogan will be booted out by it's own people at some point. Turkey used to be a beacon of democracy and secularism in the region before that governement got elected. Now they have become pretty much an Islamic State.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 5

That is what I thought. We wouldn't tolerate this in France or Italy, why should it be tolerated in Turkey?

• Like 3

I have to wonder how it would be received if the USA seized all mosques in an American city and declared them "state property"?

Edited by Lilly
oops!
  • Like 6

I don't think we've seen more than a foreshadowing of what Erdog is capable of. Christians and secular types are soon going to be faced with very hard choices. They can fight or they can flee otherwise they will be enslaved by the Sharia he wants to impose asap. The man is an Islamist tyrant and needs assassinating.

• Like 2

In times of unrest in Turkey, Christians--even if uninvolved-- and their places of worship have been targets of attacks by Muslim extremists. Now these places are government property and afforded the protection of the state, in this one city, rife with unrest.

In times of unrest in Turkey, Christians--even if uninvolved-- and their places of worship have been targets of attacks by Muslim extremists. Now these places are government property and afforded the protection of the state, in this one city, rife with unrest.

Are you saying Erdogan took the Churches to keep them safe? I have a hard time believing that.
  • Like 2

And these places of worship could not be protected without expropriating them? The government of Turkey is incapable of securing any site it does not possess?!

• Like 2

Are you saying Erdogan took the Churches to keep them safe? I have a hard time believing that.

Exactly... benevolence isn't the first thought that springs to mind with the current Turkish government.

This seems to be another part of the recent pattern, as with putting the media under state control last month:

Zaman newspaper: Defiant last edition as Turkey police raid

• Like 1

And these places of worship could not be protected without expropriating them? The government of Turkey is incapable of securing any site it does not possess?!

No, I was making an observation. Making the Churches technically government property placates the fringe elements that might do them harm and put them in the position of attacking their own government if they did. As to any deeper significance and ulterior motives I reserve judgment pending further developments. I would note that The Haga Sophia has been a state run museum for quite some time.
  • Like 3

No, I was making an observation. Making the Churches technically government property placates the fringe elements that might do them harm and put them in the position of attacking their own government if they did. As to any deeper significance and ulterior motives I reserve judgment pending further developments. I would note that The Haga Sophia has been a state run museum for quite some time.

Is it a church with active members? You don't really believe Erdogan means well to the Christian population of Turkey, do you? The man is tightening an iron fist around that country. It won't stop with Christians. I'm sure you are aware of the attempted genocide of Armenians from last century. I get the idea of waiting for evidence or some legal standard of proof but this guy has acted in such a way that he deserves no benefit of doubt. Not that any entity will attempt to change his behavior. I feel badly for ALL Turks today. Even the Sunni Muslims who support him will be crushed in time. The secularists, Christians and the few Shia there will simply feel the boot sooner.
  • Like 3

Of course, stealing property is the only way to protect it.

Not as if ohh you can't pass a law saying "damaging a religious property carries the same penalty as damaging a government property".

Nope, have to take ownership to protect it.

Will they also have to place guards to protect it?

To take the names of the attendees in order to protect the property?

To give permission to attend church in order to protect it?

Maybe in order to know who was meant to be there, a nice label on their clothes...

• Like 3

Is it a church with active members? You don't really believe Erdogan means well to the Christian population of Turkey, do you? The man is tightening an iron fist around that country. It won't stop with Christians. I'm sure you are aware of the attempted genocide of Armenians from last century. I get the idea of waiting for evidence or some legal standard of proof but this guy has acted in such a way that he deserves no benefit of doubt. Not that any entity will attempt to change his behavior. I feel badly for ALL Turks today. Even the Sunni Muslims who support him will be crushed in time. The secularists, Christians and the few Shia there will simply feel the boot sooner.

Demonizing Muslim leaders hasn't exactly had a positive effect, either. Turkey is in chaos, Egypt is ruled from the shadows by a military junta, Iraq with it's Sunni heart ripped out is on life support and only an idiot would think Syria is better off now than it was five years ago. Since US and subsequent Western meddling, the Middle East is a much more dangerous, anarchistic place for Israel than it was before. Better the devils we know than the ones conjured up by misplaced idealism and amateurish diplomacy.
  • Like 1

Of course, stealing property is the only way to protect it.

Not as if ohh you can't pass a law saying "damaging a religious property carries the same penalty as damaging a government property".

Nope, have to take ownership to protect it.

Will they also have to place guards to protect it?

To take the names of the attendees in order to protect the property?

To give permission to attend church in order to protect it?

Maybe in order to know who was meant to be there, a nice label on their clothes...

And allow economic migrants to drown off their coasts or confine them under sweltering conditions on islands where they are unwelcome, too. Oh wait, wrong country.

And allow economic migrants to drown off their coasts or confine them under sweltering conditions on islands where they are unwelcome, too. Oh wait, wrong country.

Key words here, unwelcome economic migrants. Didn't force them to make that trip. Can't take care of the world or we would all be in the same boat, no pun intended.
  • Like 3

Key words here, unwelcome economic migrants. Didn't force them to make that trip. Can't take care of the world or we would all be in the same boat, no pun intended.

A practically empty continent save for the coasts, yet a certain class of immigrant is unwelcome. Curious, that.

Actually the US and her allies DID force them to take that trip.

Turkey is getting thrown under the bus as the ISIS axis of evil falls apart. KSA not far behind. This is Three-card Monte and Israel is the queen card.

Doesn't end well for any of them.

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1

I might write a poem about it all ---- do you think I'll get arrested ----- :innocent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/german-comedian-jan-b-hmermann-could-face-prison-for-insulting-smear-poem-against-turkish-president-a6972356.html

A German comedian could face prosecution in his own country for "insulting" Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Jan Böhmermann, a satirical comedian, is being investigated by German authorities under defamation laws for a poem in which he calls the Turkish premier a "goat ******" and other insults.

• Like 5

I might write a poem about it all ---- do you think I'll get arrested ----- :innocent:

Oh please do! I'm betting you'll be safe.

All bets are off if you include a verse calling Cameron a "pig-******", however tempting that might be. :)