Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neck Scarf

xXstarzgirlXx

There once was a girl who always wore a scarf around her neck no matter what time of year it was. One day while out on a date with her boyfriend, he said to her "Take off your scarf." She replied, "No, I will take it off when the time is right."

Years went by and the couple became engaged to be married. On their wedding night, her new husband again said to her, "We are married now so you can take off your scarf." Again she said, "No, I will take it off when the time is right."

More time passed and the young couple grew old together. The old woman lay on her death bed and addressed her weeping husband kneeling by her side. "I’m so sorry to keep this secret from you for so long. Take off my scarf and you’ll see why I’ve always had it on."

Her husband took the end of the scarf in his hand and slowly removed it from her neck. Horrified, he watched his wife’s head roll off the bed and across the floor. She’d been wearing the scarf to keep her head on!

Another VersionBlack Velvet Ribbon

There was once a pretty lady who always wore a ribbon around her neck. She wore the ribbon when she slept, when she went to church and every single time she went out. No one ever saw her without her ribbon. One day she met a young man and they fell deeply in love. When he noticed the ribbon was always there, he asked "Why do you wear that ribbon?"

She just smiled and said, "I’ll tell you when we get married one day." Four months later they were married and living happily together. Whenever he asked her why she wore the ribbon, she would say, "I’ll tell you someday, just don’t take it off."

One night he couldn’t take it anymore and had to know why she wore the ribbon. He snuck up on her when she was sleeping and slowly loosened the ribbon. As soon as he untied it, her head fell off and rolled to her husband’s feet. The eyes opened and the head yelled, "I TOLD YOU NOT TO REMOVE MY RIBBON!!!" The poor man went mad and was never seen again.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NightTrainMurderer

• when.i.am.queen.

• Ashley-Star*Child

• DevilCatGirl

There once was a girl who always wore a scarf around her neck no matter what time of year it was. One day while out on a date with her boyfriend, he said to her "Take off your scarf." She replied, "No, I will take it off when the time is right."

Years went by and the couple became engaged to be married. On their wedding night, her new husband again said to her, "We are married now so you can take off your scarf." Again she said, "No, I will take it off when the time is right."

More time passed and the young couple grew old together. The old woman lay on her death bed and addressed her weeping husband kneeling by her side. "I’m so sorry to keep this secret from you for so long. Take off my scarf and you’ll see why I’ve always had it on."

Her husband took the end of the scarf in his hand and slowly removed it from her neck. Horrified, he watched his wife’s head roll off the bed and across the floor. She’d been wearing the scarf to keep her head on!

Another VersionBlack Velvet Ribbon

There was once a pretty lady who always wore a ribbon around her neck. She wore the ribbon when she slept, when she went to church and every single time she went out. No one ever saw her without her ribbon. One day she met a young man and they fell deeply in love. When he noticed the ribbon was always there, he asked "Why do you wear that ribbon?"

She just smiled and said, "I’ll tell you when we get married one day." Four months later they were married and living happily together. Whenever he asked her why she wore the ribbon, she would say, "I’ll tell you someday, just don’t take it off."

One night he couldn’t take it anymore and had to know why she wore the ribbon. He snuck up on her when she was sleeping and slowly loosened the ribbon. As soon as he untied it, her head fell off and rolled to her husband’s feet. The eyes opened and the head yelled, "I TOLD YOU NOT TO REMOVE MY RIBBON!!!" The poor man went mad and was never seen again.

Scary, but very well made, good job.

I love the ribbon story, it was one of the first urban legend stories I ever read. Brilliant...I was only 10 at the time so I was quite shocked! :unsure2:

Cool story....that is biologically impossible, but it's an urban legend anyway :lol: ......Thanks for sharing! :tu:

Excellent stuff, you've left me with an urge to read some old EC Comics!

I love the ribbon story, it was one of the first urban legend stories I ever read. Brilliant...I was only 10 at the time so I was quite shocked! :unsure2:

Same here... I use to go to the library and borrow "In A Dark Dark Room" by Alvin Schwartz every couple of weeks. The book may be less than 100 pages but it contains some truly great stories. I actually picked up my very own copy to read to my neice and nephew last Halloween.

I can remember reading this for the first time, and then going off to buy a velvet ribbon. I ended up wearing one like it around my neck to my formal years back.

...and now, after googling it to try and find a suitable image I don't think that I will ever think of a velvet chocker again without thinking about S and M. Wonderful.

...and now, after googling it to try and find a suitable image I don't think that I will ever think of a velvet chocker again without thinking about S and M. Wonderful.

Thank you... this has made my morning. Haha.

Here is another version of it as well

The Girl with the Green Ribbon Around Her Neck

A long time ago there was a little girl who had a green ribbon around her neck. One day she went to school and met a boy named Jim. Jim sat behind her in class and noticed the ribbon under her pig tails.

"Why do you wear that ribbon around your neck?" he asked. Someday I'll tell you, she promised.

When they were teenagers, Jim asked the girl on a date. While they were drinking frappes, Jim asked again, "why do you wear that green ribbon around your neck?” She laughed nervously and said, "Well maybe if we ever get married I'll tell you."

Jim fell in love with the girl and they got married. In bed their first night, the only thing his new wife wouldn't take off was the ribbon and he asked, “Okay, we're married now...why do you wear that ribbon on your neck!" She said, "I'll tell you if we ever have kids."

After they had a boy and a girl, Jim asked again,"Please, please, please, WHY DO YOU WEAR THAT RIBBON AROUND YOUR NECK?!?!" She said, if you love me, you'll drop it for now, some day I'll tell you."

So he dropped it. Just accepted the fact that his wife wore a mysterious ribbon around her neck all the time. They got old together, then the woman got very sick, went to the hospital, and the doctor said she was going to die. Her distraught husband sat by her side for days, and finally said, please, tell me now, why do you have that ribbon around your neck? In a croaky voice she said, okay, I'll tell you, take it off now."

He pulled the bow loose and her head fell off.

This is from a book called In A Dark Room and Other Scary Stories. After reading this thread last night, and had to go and find it, as I knew that I had the book somewhere in the house!

If you ask me though, I still waaay prefer the velvet ribbon story... Scarves are just so passe.

Here is another version of it as well

This is from a book called In A Dark Room and Other Scary Stories. After reading this thread last night, and had to go and find it, as I knew that I had the book somewhere in the house!

If you ask me though, I still waaay prefer the velvet ribbon story... Scarves are just so passe.

I am considering scanning the art from this story. It's for children yet the illustrations are incredibly creepy. Much more so than say Edward Gorey.

I am considering scanning the art from this story. It's for children yet the illustrations are incredibly creepy. Much more so than say Edward Gorey.

I have never heard of this book before, but you have me intrigued. I LOVE creepy illustrations, and I'm a huge fan of Gorey's work. :tu:

The version of the story I heard ended with the husband learning that his wife had died at the guillotine several years earlier.

I read a similar story many years ago. It was rather drawn out, though.

A lady was driving down a country road when suddenly her car started banging and rumbling. The sound came from underneath the car. She thought she blew a tire. She went to an old, dark, abandoned looking house hoping to find help. A middle aged man answered the door and offered use of his telephone. The lady thanked the man and called a repair shop. Since she was in the middle of no where, it would take a while for the tow truck to arrive. The lady visited the man along with his young daughter until the tow truck came. She noticed something odd about the father and daughter. Both were wearing red ribbons around their neck. When asked about it, they laughed and said it was an inside joke they play. Fair enough.

Soon after, the lady decided to wait by her car for the tow truck. The truck came, the guy looked at the car, started it up, worked just fine. The lady decided to carry on her way. As she drove on, she realized she forgot her coat at the house with the gentleman and his daughter. She turned around and returned to the house. But when she got there, there was no sign of life. The house was completely dark. No one answered the door. She tried the door, it was open, and entered. She called out to the family but received no response. The house was dank and musty, like no one had been there for ages. But she found her coat. Thinking she was losing her mind, she drove down further until she came upon another house. An older woman answered the door and invited her in. When the lady questioned the older woman about the house down the road, she got very upset. The older woman explained that it used to be the house she shared with her husband and young daughter many years ago. But they were dead. The lady couldn't have seen them. But when she told the old woman about the curious ribbons around their necks, the older woman explained.

She was in a hurry to get to work and quickly drove off in her car. But she did no see her daughter playing in the driveway. Her husband ran out to try to get the girl out of the way but the woman backed over the both of them. She didn't realize what she had done until she heard the banging and rumbling beneath her car, like she had blown a tire. Turned out she had cut off both of their heads.

Edited by Melly