Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Preserving Outer Space Landmarks

Waspie_Dwarf

An interesting video, it's just a shame that the presenter is so irritating:

Preserving Outer Space Landmarks

We have landmarks and preserves here on Earth, but who's watching out for important places and things in outer space? Trace takes a look.

Source: DNews - YouTube Channel

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• freetoroam

• Ashotep

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, just like on Earth, space needs protecting...............from MAN! And who do they think should protect it? MAN. I reckon space can take care of itself, our bits of rubbish will one day get swallowed up by space and will be no threat to whats out there, unless it heads back this way.

Yep, just like on Earth, space needs protecting...............from MAN! And who do they think should protect it? MAN. I reckon space can take care of itself, our bits of rubbish will one day get swallowed up by space and will be no threat to whats out there, unless it heads back this way.

Did you watch the video? If you did then you totally and utterly missed the point of it.

It is about the conservation of sites of historical interest on other worlds (the Apollo 11 landing site, the Curiosity rover on Mars, etc) and the fact that there is no protection of them in current international law.

You also don't seem to know very much about the subject on which you are commenting. Space junk in LOW Earth orbit will eventually re-enter, that in higher orbits stay there pretty much forever.

Next time you give us one of your rants how about you make it on topic and factually correct.

Sorry Waspie, I thought my point was quite valid. PROTECTION from who? man.

Right now I guess their only protection is its expensive to go there. If no country can claim ownership of the moon or a spot on it then there should be some sort of law governing past landing sites. It may be more you leave my landing spot alone and I'll leave yours alone.

Another question I have if no one can own land on the moon or mars whats going to happen if someone sets up a colony there? Can anyone just come in and take it over? If so will it be worth spending the money on?

Right now I guess their only protection is its expensive to go there.

That was the case, however it's no longer true. There is a competition called the Google Lunar XPrize which has the following goal:

The Google Lunar XPRIZE is igniting a new era of lunar exploration by offering the largest international incentive prize of all time. A total of $30 million in prizes are available to the first privately funded teams to safely land a robot on the surface of the Moon, have that robot travel 500 meters over the lunar surface, and send video, images and data back to the Earth. Teams must be at least 90% privately funded, though commercially reasonable sales to government customers are allowed without limit.

SOURCE

There are 25 teams competing for this prize. So lunar exploration has (or will very soon) be within the reach of private organisations. This is why there is now concern about the preservation of these sites of historical importance.

If no country can claim ownership of the moon or a spot on it then there should be some sort of law governing past landing sites. It may be more you leave my landing spot alone and I'll leave yours alone.

Therein lies the problem. How can you make laws governing astronomical bodies when international agreement says no state can have dominion over them? It's a bit of a Catch 22 situation at the moment.

Another question I have if no one can own land on the moon or mars whats going to happen if someone sets up a colony there? Can anyone just come in and take it over? If so will it be worth spending the money on?

No.

Although international law states that the Moon or Mars can not be owned, the space vehicles that land there remain the property of the nation that launched them. Hence a colony would be protected by law.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf