Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Site loading time issues

ThePitOfReason

I have spent a few years checking out this site and enjoyed it very much. But the last year or so has been very difficult and forced me to go look around at other sites. Have any of you guys had problems loading this site now and then? And it's getting worse not better. Many times it just stops in the middle of surfing the site. Other times I find it pretty much just closed for business and it will not open for hours. I'm guessing the site owner has a package deal on the site and when traffic hits the mark it just shuts the site down. Sad because I was struck on the site but hitting this brick wall so often is pushing it from my mind and got me looking around at all the other sites out there. Hope the site owner gets this posting I wanted to post under another forum but found the ones I felt it belonged in locked. Much more of this and your going to start seeing those 90,000 members take up hike. Think about it and please find a cure like I said I did like this site. But like I said I did like it. I should be saying I still do don't you think?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• conspiracybeliever

• Flashbangwollap

• SHaYap

I have had a couple of occasions where things run a tad slow, but generally it correlates to some kind of technical update or a change in some sort to the servers...nothing severe or constant.

Around 8:10 am each morning (GMT), there is a noticeable 10 - 15 minute 'freeze'. I assume this is due to either backups, db reorgs, etc, taking place. If anyone is a regular "logger on" at that time, they will be inconvenienced.

I have also noticed some issues when new features were added - such as the ability to post media. Usually, these issues fade after a while, but that they happen may be down to inadequate resource allocation by the server/network administrator(s).

However, all these issues are relatively normal for a site such as this - but I do understand how an end-user may perceive them as disruptive.

Yeah I got the same issue. It happens almost everyday here. Up to the point where it takes 5-10 minutes to load a page, profile or chatroom.

Around 8:10 am each morning (GMT), there is a noticeable 10 - 15 minute 'freeze'. I assume this is due to either backups, db reorgs, etc, taking place. If anyone is a regular "logger on" at that time, they will be inconvenienced.
This is the only actual downtime we have, its scheduled for a time of day when the fewest possible people are online and is very short.
I'm guessing the site owner has a package deal on the site and when traffic hits the mark it just shuts the site down.
This is not the case, we have more than enough bandwidth allocation to handle all the traffic we receive.
Other times I find it pretty much just closed for business and it will not open for hours.
This sounds to me like a problem with your ISP - the site simply doesn't go off-line for hours at a time. There can be some minor performance issues at peak times but those are being worked on and result in disruptions of a minute or so at most, if you find yourself unable to access the site at all for hours then the problem is at your end, what error does your browser give when that happens ?

connection timeout

connection reset

site "....." not responding or is taking too long to respond <try again>

about 6pm on

am on GMT +8 btw

connection timeout

connection reset

site "....." not responding or is taking too long to respond <try again>

about 6pm on

am on GMT +8 btw

Just to clarify, are you saying you are unable to access the site at all with that error from 6pm onwards ?

Just to clarify, are you saying you are unable to access the site at all with that error from 6pm onwards ?

I was on site, the problems pop up just around the time of 6pm (GMT +8)

after about ten twenty minutes of trying I gave up and went for my dinner

only applies to UM Forums not sure about the main

other sites and forums were not affected

hope that helps :tu:

I was on site, the problems pop up just around the time of 6pm (GMT +8)

after about ten twenty minutes of trying I gave up and went for my dinner

only applies to UM Forums not sure about the main

other sites and forums were not affected

hope that helps :tu:

Don't know what you use to run your comp mate but I changed to Ubuntu - Linux because of all the maintenance required when using MS - Windows.

Even so I still clear all pages as of habit and no, I no longer get any problems. Just a thought. Hope you work it out.

I have had pages take a while to load (a minute sometimes). Not sure if it was at peak times or not, but I've never had a problem actually getting around. There's going to be lag on a forum with so many active users and guests at a time, but what you're talking about is another issue. You really should clear your cookies and cache, try using a different browser maybe. If none of that helps, I'd definitely be having a word with my ISP. :)

I've noticed with mine that it happens every night between midnight and midnight thirty, my time.

Don't know what you use to run your comp mate but I changed to Ubuntu - Linux because of all the maintenance required when using MS - Windows.

Even so I still clear all pages as of habit and no, I no longer get any problems. Just a thought. Hope you work it out.

I have no say as most of the programs I am required to use breathes MS :lol:

I do clear and clean zealously, CCleaner and stuff, I have been said to be paranoid that way :D

Don't think it's browser or OS hiccups here though .... thanks ... much appreciated :tu:

The only time I have issue with this site loading is from work. Maybe that's the issue for those that surf from work?

The only time I have issue with this site loading is from work. Maybe that's the issue for those that surf from work?

Quite likely Silver Thong since you have to add the "Works" server and lag into the mix. But hey don't tell the boss ssshhh.

Quite likely Silver Thong since you have to add the "Works" server and lag into the mix. But hey don't tell the boss ssshhh.

maybe the boss is on here too :lol:

I think it's all those things going on in the ME kicking the mirrors about,

I had another half hour plus of "site too busy or unavailable" an hour or so ago

I have never had ANY performance issues with this site of any description.

meow purr :)

This is the only actual downtime we have, its scheduled for a time of day when the fewest possible people are online and is very short.

This is not the case, we have more than enough bandwidth allocation to handle all the traffic we receive.

This sounds to me like a problem with your ISP - the site simply doesn't go off-line for hours at a time. There can be some minor performance issues at peak times but those are being worked on and result in disruptions of a minute or so at most, if you find yourself unable to access the site at all for hours then the problem is at your end, what error does your browser give when that happens ?

At my location I can load and surf everything else at these times. But when I try to load this site it just goes to a blank page and says not found. I have every now and then been able to enter from another part of the site and then when I click the home button it still does this. And then I find I'm not able to enter from any area. I have never had this problem during the day it's mostly after 12:AM

I've noticed with mine that it happens every night between midnight and midnight thirty, my time.

Same time I have problems here. It looks for a long time as if it might load and then it times out and says not found.

This still sounds like either a networking issue or a problem with your ISP, it isn't an issue with the site or with our servers otherwise everyone would be experiencing it and there's no record of any downtime on this end.

One thing you could try is changing your DNS servers in case there's a problem with those, the OpenDNS servers are a good free alternative to those supplied by your ISP ( Primary: 208.67.222.222 Secondary: 208.67.220.220 ). Make note of your current DNS server settings before you do this so you can put them back if there's no improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having this problem too. I can rarely get on at work anymore and sometimes at home it is really slow too. It's only been the last 2 weeks that I have the problem. I don't even try at work anymore. It's too frustrating. And it was fine earlier and now it seems to be loeading slower and I'm at home. Normally it doesn't do this when I'm at home.

I have been having this problem too. I can rarely get on at work anymore and sometimes at home it is really slow too. It's only been the last 2 weeks that I have the problem. I don't even try at work anymore. It's too frustrating. And it was fine earlier and now it seems to be loeading slower and I'm at home. Normally it doesn't do this when I'm at home.

It sounds like you could be in the middle of a conspiracy at work there conspiracybeliever. Perhaps you should keep trying.:ph34r: Sorry kid I'm due for my bedbath and she ain't come yet.<_<

It sounds like you could be in the middle of a conspiracy at work there conspiracybeliever. Perhaps you should keep trying.:ph34r: Sorry kid I'm due for my bedbath and she ain't come yet.<_<

Very Funny!! :angry:

:lol:

It makes for a long workday when you are just sitting there working. :lol:

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the site? Don't you think it's slow? I think more people are having problems than are saying. Why would we have to change something on our computer when it's worked fine up to this point?