Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Walson hospital at Fort Dix

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61    jessie929

jessie929

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

hello my name is jessie i currently live on joint base mcguire fort dix. for those of you who dont know walson hospital has been closed down. and will be reopening soon. the building has been said to be closed due to being haunted. they are currently looking into having paranormal investagitors look into it, to decide if they building should be renovated or torn down and rebuilt all together.
some of the doors in walson hospital are chained from the inside, and not from the outside. people claim and i too believe that there is some unexplainable things still happening there.  windows have said to just break out of nowhere. if you get close enough you can hear screaming and crying. it is said that the ghost of a mental patient lingers in the area, after being able to commit suicide. when you drive by at night you can sometimes see lights on inside. shadows in the building.
i can go and take pictures of them and post them here.

if you have any other questions about the base or walson hospital feel free to email me and i will write back as soon as possible
*Email Removed*

Edited by SupeRgirl, 27 December 2009 - 01:05 AM.
It's not a great idea to post your email on a public forum. You can invite members to email you via your profile or send you a PM.

#62    ChetW

ChetW

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:21 AM

Jessie
  I was a Military Police Officer in the early 80's with the 532MP Co. I have been all over Fort Dix including the Hospital many times. Never saw anything that would be considered a “Haunting”. There was an older wooden hospital that was falling down, it gave some of the guys the creeps. There was even a sand pit that had parts of humans (small parts) , it was deep in the ranges, the Biological Disposal Area or something like that.  A blown up nuke missile base (BORMAC) where a missile engine lite off. A Vietnam type village, the “Negro Troop” section on Range road and a bunch of old wooden churches and other WWII buildings we had to keep the kids out of. That was about it, sorry nothing weird. Not saying there isn’t anything strange going on now. I just never responded to nor heard of anything and I was there for two years, plus basic training D-2-3.
Chet

#63    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 3,561 posts

• ♪♫ When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
    But in my dreams, I slew the dragon ♫♪
    - Colin Hay.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:21 AM

View Postjessie929, on 26 December 2009 - 05:02 PM, said:

hello my name is jessie i currently live on joint base mcguire fort dix. for those of you who dont know walson hospital has been closed down. and will be reopening soon. the building has been said to be closed due to being haunted. they are currently looking into having paranormal investagitors look into it, to decide if they building should be renovated or torn down and rebuilt all together.
some of the doors in walson hospital are chained from the inside, and not from the outside. people claim and i too believe that there is some unexplainable things still happening there.  windows have said to just break out of nowhere. if you get close enough you can hear screaming and crying. it is said that the ghost of a mental patient lingers in the area, after being able to commit suicide. when you drive by at night you can sometimes see lights on inside. shadows in the building.
i can go and take pictures of them and post them here.

if you have any other questions about the base or walson hospital feel free to email me and i will write back as soon as possible
*Email Removed*
From what I understand, the hospital closed down, when I was there, which was in the 90's to the early 2000's. That was when the new clinic was built. I wonder if you meant it's closed down from training exercises and stuff. Unless you meant the clinic, which I wonder. Anyways, where did you hear about the doors being chained from the inside? The experiences I have had when it was closed down as a hospital, is when I drove by it at night, and the fourth and fifth floors would all of their lights on and their shades up, while all the other floors were shaded and dark. Again, when it was open as a hospital, I hadn't had much of any experiences, but I have felt like things weren't right at times. I find it interesting that they actually figure that it might be haunted, and that they are looking into having PI's investigate the place. I would really like the 'ghost hunters' or 'ghost lab' to investigate the place. I would really love to see what they find.

View PostChetW, on 30 December 2009 - 03:21 AM, said:

Jessie
  I was a Military Police Officer in the early 80's with the 532MP Co. I have been all over Fort Dix including the Hospital many times. Never saw anything that would be considered a "Haunting". There was an older wooden hospital that was falling down, it gave some of the guys the creeps. There was even a sand pit that had parts of humans (small parts) , it was deep in the ranges, the Biological Disposal Area or something like that.  A blown up nuke missile base (BORMAC) where a missile engine lite off. A Vietnam type village, the "Negro Troop" section on Range road and a bunch of old wooden churches and other WWII buildings we had to keep the kids out of. That was about it, sorry nothing weird. Not saying there isn't anything strange going on now. I just never responded to nor heard of anything and I was there for two years, plus basic training D-2-3.
Chet

I also remember that building. That was the place my work mate/good friend told me where she was born. I remember it being torn down, and then seeing the blank lot afterwards. I didn't realize that place too had rumors of being haunted. That also, I find very interesting.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#64    Ceridwen999

Ceridwen999

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

My husband was stationed at Ft. Dix in 1992-1993 and worked at Walson in the ortho clinic.  I don't remember having any weird experiences there other than feeling creeped out when being there.  It had a very haunted feeling about it and I guess now I know why.  I never knew about the basement being filled with cement.  I did however hear that there was some kind of hush-hush reason why there was no natal unit any longer.

As for the base housing, we lived on Fir Street.  I had no idea about the ghost of the boy but the play area was not far from where we lived.  The strangest thing that happened while we were there was that I scheduled myself to have a tubal ligation and the day of my surgery I stepped outside to go for the operation and all the trees in our immediate area were so filled with black birds that their noise was litteraly deafening.  The trees looked black and alive, moving and screetching.  It terrified me because I had recently read a Stephen King book where black birds showed up like that to take away the spirit of the newly deceased and since I was going under the knife that day it was not comforting.  I almost canceled.  Maybe they were trying to tell me something.  

I did have my surgery at Walson.  Can't remember what floor, but had I known then what I know now, coupled with the bird thing, I wouldn't have had that surgery.  

I'd love to see pictures too.  I know it's been a while since that offer was posted.  But if anyone has any pictures of the housing on Fir Street, that's what I was looking for when I stumbled upon this site.

#65    Aldego

Aldego

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

This thread presented me with much need information, thanks to all posters who have shared their experiences, It's August of 2010, I am stationed on JB MDL and live in the Garden Terrace area of Dix. I am a USAF SF, so our department on the Dix side of the house, I have driven by Walson numerous times, and down all the roads mentioned previously. I want to take a walk down Cedar tonight and see if there is anything out there. I am a true believer in the super natural as I experienced it at the abandoned mental institution back home. I will go out and take pictures of the building as it stands now for all the Vets who served here years ago. I cannot say I have ever experienced anything yet at Walson but I have driven by it and parked in its parking lots while on patrol, and you can just sense there is something there.
I only have one thing to share about it, and it comes from one of the DOD officers I work with, and that is one night he responded to Walson for an alarm activation, building abandoned no one on site. Had to make entry and check out all the floor and rooms to make sure no one was around the building, he wasnt very detailed about what had happened but he did mention while being on the 5th floor his radio came across with the white noise, after checking the floors he went back down to the 1st floor, while standing infront of the elevator, it began to come down to his location, now, knowing there was no one inside, he drew his weapon and pointed it at the door, when the doors opened, there was no one inside, but could feel an extremely cold temperature coming from inside. I will ask around my Department and see if any of the other Police Officers i work with have had any encounters while inside of the building.
Again thank you to everyone who had something to say about Fort Dix and Walson Hospital.

#66    illegally blonde

illegally blonde

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

View PostLcvec, on 07 November 2009 - 09:14 PM, said:

Even though this is a very old topic, this story caught my attention...I've experienced this a few times (no weird visions though), when I suddenly wake up feeling a weird presence (can't really describe it) and I can't move anything except my eyes, but the worst part is that I seem to be able to think clearly, so usually I assume it's just because I suddenly woke up and give up on trying to move, then after a few minutes I'm fine. I've never experienced any paranormal activity, always found the subject quite interesting but never got much into it...has anyone else experienced this? personally I think it has nothing to do with ghosts or other presences but it feels really weird.

It's sleep paralysis.  When we go into REM sleep our bodies slip into this state so that we don't act out our dreams.  We all know that this doesn't always work though and last time I did any research on it doctors weren't sure why we don't always do that.  It's not uncommon for people to wake up before their muscles regain mobility but still being fully aware.  When this occurs many people panic.  With good reason!  Some even 'hallucinate' as their minds run wild wonder what is 'holding them down' as I suspect happened in the story you are talking about.  That's actually what I thought when reading it before coming to your comment.  I'm a believer but that poor man's experience screamed awakening during sleep paralysis.

And as far as Geronimo, I'm currently at Ft. Sill and just visited his grave yesterday.  Nothing strange happened, I didn't even get any feelings but after thinking about an Indian buried in an english man's army post the more I thought how upset he probably was over his resting place.  I didn't know anything about him before this, not even that he was buried here!  I didn't have an offering of tobacco for him (which I've been told you are supposed to bring).  I told my husband I needed to take him some back.  He plagued my dreams though(and was very nice) and I woke up feeling somewhat connected to him.  We'll see where that leads.

#67    khakain

khakain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

What an awesome thread.  Thanks for sharing guys.

#68    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 3,561 posts

• ♪♫ When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
    But in my dreams, I slew the dragon ♫♪
    - Colin Hay.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

View PostCeridwen999, on 03 August 2010 - 02:56 PM, said:

My husband was stationed at Ft. Dix in 1992-1993 and worked at Walson in the ortho clinic.  I don't remember having any weird experiences there other than feeling creeped out when being there.  It had a very haunted feeling about it and I guess now I know why.  I never knew about the basement being filled with cement.  I did however hear that there was some kind of hush-hush reason why there was no natal unit any longer.
From what I heard, there were some infant deaths during births, and that is why they had to get rid of the natal unit.

As for the base housing, we lived on Fir Street.  I had no idea about the ghost of the boy but the play area was not far from where we lived.  The strangest thing that happened while we were there was that I scheduled myself to have a tubal ligation and the day of my surgery I stepped outside to go for the operation and all the trees in our immediate area were so filled with black birds that their noise was litteraly deafening.  The trees looked black and alive, moving and screetching.  It terrified me because I had recently read a Stephen King book where black birds showed up like that to take away the spirit of the newly deceased and since I was going under the knife that day it was not comforting.  I almost canceled.  Maybe they were trying to tell me something.  
Even though I lived on McGuire housing, I remember those numerous birds all the time. I thought they were native of the area and usually did that. If that kind of reassures you.

I did have my surgery at Walson.  Can't remember what floor, but had I known then what I know now, coupled with the bird thing, I wouldn't have had that surgery.  

I heard so many horrors stories of when Walson was open. In fact, when I went in for a cyst in my wrist, they gave me a mother of a cast to put on it, and it freaked out the people I worked with at that time. A friend of mine was pissed, because of having to get someone from his squadron sent down to a proper hospital down south, because of misdiagnosing the guy and nearly killing him. In fact, when I had my son, I ended up getting him to see a civ doc off base, I couldn't trust the place.

View PostAldego, on 31 August 2010 - 10:52 PM, said:

I want to take a walk down Cedar tonight and see if there is anything out there.
I would be very curious of what you find. Very curious

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#69    Chagidiel

Chagidiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

This is one great topic. Good stories of similar experiences and even if I cannot verify locations now (on mobile phone) descriptions sound really genuine. Also noteworthy are similar experiences. Also setting about military base, haunted hospital, mental asylum, graveyard, dead points... All those cliches of haunted places are introduced.
Don't take me as an offensive person, but there are few thoughts I am eager to share.

1. I am really interested about the high death rate of infants. What is the official reason for that?
2. Similarities in experiences are astounding and every now and then I got feeling of shared storytelling where someone adds a new twist and others play along. Reminds me too much of Candle Cove at some points.
3. High rate of people who were working at the location, were assigned there or lived/live there. Also many people who were pregnant but for obvious reasons did not deliver their baby at the location in question. The truth behind these people could easily be verified, but few are willing to share documents of their assignment for example in public as they contain personal information.
4. This follows directly my third thought/point. Many new registered users sharing their experience in short time with only one post ever or a few posts in this topic. I assume there are genuine tellers here, but how can one be sure there one-post-wonders aren't playing the game along? I'd love to see IP addresses (what is impossible, I know).
5. Last thing what bothers me is those people who are from military or work ie. in jobs I would assume needs correct spelling. Misplaced .'s, not using capital letters, typo's and such things really bother me. Some people claim that in internet you don't need to write correctly... but meh. One thing I have noticed in several occasions that those police officers, military staff, flight controllers etc who cannot write are one-post-wonders.

Altogether, great and interesting topic. Reminds me greatly of that haunted sick hospital what is not used anymore. Cannot recall it's name at the moment. Wawery Hill was it?

~sceptic~agnostic~pendulum user~curious~horror-fan~

I know, I am dull skeptic, but I try to give another more logical opinions how things might NOT be paranormal after all.

#70    Ceridwen999

Ceridwen999

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostChagidiel, on 08 October 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

This is one great topic. Good stories of similar experiences and even if I cannot verify locations now (on mobile phone) descriptions sound really genuine. Also noteworthy are similar experiences. Also setting about military base, haunted hospital, mental asylum, graveyard, dead points... All those cliches of haunted places are introduced.
Don't take me as an offensive person, but there are few thoughts I am eager to share.

1. I am really interested about the high death rate of infants. What is the official reason for that?
2. Similarities in experiences are astounding and every now and then I got feeling of shared storytelling where someone adds a new twist and others play along. Reminds me too much of Candle Cove at some points.
3. High rate of people who were working at the location, were assigned there or lived/live there. Also many people who were pregnant but for obvious reasons did not deliver their baby at the location in question. The truth behind these people could easily be verified, but few are willing to share documents of their assignment for example in public as they contain personal information.
4. This follows directly my third thought/point. Many new registered users sharing their experience in short time with only one post ever or a few posts in this topic. I assume there are genuine tellers here, but how can one be sure there one-post-wonders aren't playing the game along? I'd love to see IP addresses (what is impossible, I know).
5. Last thing what bothers me is those people who are from military or work ie. in jobs I would assume needs correct spelling. Misplaced .'s, not using capital letters, typo's and such things really bother me. Some people claim that in internet you don't need to write correctly... but meh. One thing I have noticed in several occasions that those police officers, military staff, flight controllers etc who cannot write are one-post-wonders.

Altogether, great and interesting topic. Reminds me greatly of that haunted sick hospital what is not used anymore. Cannot recall it's name at the moment. Wawery Hill was it?

I can only speak for myself.  I had only one post because I was just thinking about my time at Ft. Dix one day and did a search trying to find pictures of the housing in that area to see if I could show my kids where we lived.  I found this forum through that search and was fascinated with the stories.  I think the fact that there are one-posters on here is indicative of the same thing; people who were looking for information on the web and stumbled across this so they decided to input their stories.  

The hospital that you speak of at the end of your post is Waverly Hills.  It's one of the most haunted locations in America in my opinion, not that I'm an expert.  But I do like the paranormal and follow it with a healthy dose of skeptical perspective.  I always look for the logical explanation first, but it's been my experience that sometimes there just isn't one.  There's a definite draw to Ft. Dix for me, unlike many other places I've lived with the military.  I tend to be drawn to places where there is unexplained energies or happenings, so it's not surprising that Ft. Dix has a haunted history.  I've also been to Lakehurst Naval Air Station.  I never knew at the time that it was the site of the Hindenburg crash.  I was young and ignorant.  But the moment we entered the area of where the crash happened and the old building that was used as a triage station, I felt it!  It was later that I learned what happened there and that there are many reports by military personnel that the area is haunted.

#71    Chagidiel

Chagidiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

@Ceridwen999:

Good that you didn't shoot me right away. I am sceptic, but interested one. When ever I hear or read stories, I try to find first those suspicious parts before I even concider to start believe. Opposed to those who believe every cabbage they are feed. Your reply was more than good, and I appreciate that personally very much.

As I said, even if there are few things that bug me in this story, the story itself is really fascinating and interesting. That I cannot deny.

~sceptic~agnostic~pendulum user~curious~horror-fan~

I know, I am dull skeptic, but I try to give another more logical opinions how things might NOT be paranormal after all.

#72    Ceridwen999

Ceridwen999

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

View PostChagidiel, on 08 October 2010 - 08:29 PM, said:

@Ceridwen999:

Good that you didn't shoot me right away. I am sceptic, but interested one. When ever I hear or read stories, I try to find first those suspicious parts before I even concider to start believe. Opposed to those who believe every cabbage they are feed. Your reply was more than good, and I appreciate that personally very much.

As I said, even if there are few things that bug me in this story, the story itself is really fascinating and interesting. That I cannot deny.

I would never shoot someone down for being skeptical.  I think it's needed in this area of research and I'm skeptical of a lot of things myself.  I'm always leery of wild ghost stories that sound too fantastical to be true.  I will look for inconsistencies and consider possible explanations before I believe that a story is truly a paranormal one.  And I think a lot of the people who's stories seem really out there are maybe not always trying to pull your leg, but they get so wrapped up in the excitement of having an experience that their memories create a little flourishment.  

I do believe there's something going on at Ft. Dix, and particularly the hospital.  I'd love to go back for a visit sometime.

#73    slowfade

slowfade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

This is a fascinating thread, some really spooky accounts here!

On a more general note: from what I've read, it does seem that many hospitals have long been associated with ghost stories, for obvious reasons I guess. There are certainly quite a few accounts of apparitions and poltergeist activity from various hospitals in my city (London) - and this appears to be the case in most urban areas, particularly when the hospitals in question have a long history, or, as in this case, are associated with the military.

I would certainly be interested to see if any more evidence turns up in this particular case...

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference"
- Eli Wiesel

#74    LeslieValentin

LeslieValentin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:44 AM

[quote name='Watchful' timestamp='1286501046' post='3603045']

I heard so many horrors stories of when Walson was open. In fact, when I went in for a cyst in my wrist, they gave me a mother of a cast to put on it, and it freaked out the people I worked with at that time. A friend of mine was pissed, because of having to get someone from his squadron sent down to a proper hospital down south, because of misdiagnosing the guy and nearly killing him. In fact, when I had my son, I ended up getting him to see a civ doc off base, I couldn't trust the place.

My reply:

I had my tonsils taken out there in 1980 and was seen once for possible broken bones a couple years later.  I will tell you that my stay there was anything but delightful.  Horror stories....yes, I'd say so.

However, due to 9-11 and all bases going to full alert again, checking every last crediental to enter the base, I'd say that anyone wanting to check out Walson Army Hospital is pretty much out of luck.  Also, I have a hard time believing that the shirts at the top would allow civies or military personnel to do a paranormal investigation.

I'm glad to hear it had been closed down. I definitely do not have any fond memories of that place.  And yes, over and above incompetence and lack of giving a hoot about the patients, there was definitely an eerie feeling to it all those years ago.

#75    LeslieValentin

LeslieValentin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

View Postcpjason, on 21 March 2008 - 08:08 AM, said:

Is there any way for a PI to get in there for a night or two? Someone said the top floors are not in use. It sounds like a place I might want to visit.

Since 9-11, All bases regardless of branches of military service have been closed.  Unless you have credientials that states you have business there -active military personnel, family members using the PX/BX, hospital, etc., you will probably be denied access.  Also, the military doesn't look to kindly on "haunted" places, especially on post and would most likely deny access just for that reason alone.

Sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users